Dermatology Expert Forum
on palms of hands and soles of feet

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

on palms of hands and soles of feet

Hi, Doctor.
Can't remember when this started, but I occasionally get these red bumps, slightly painful, on my hands and fingers.  They eventually go away after a couple of days with no problems and without treatment.  I recently saw a GP regarding this problem, but he couldn't diagnose exactly and said it shouldn't be contagious to my infant.  A few days ago, I got a fever and flu-like sx w/sore throat - recovered the next day except for the sore throat, but noticed the bumps, this time an increased number on my hands (mostly on palms), and I believe for the first time on the soles of my feet.  Some are flat, some raised, and mildly uncomfortable especially when I walk.  The bumps/rash on my hands hurt when I squeeze or wash in hot water.  I read that it could be hand-foot-mouth disease, but the bumps don't ooze/blister and I don't have any near or in my mouth.  Also, I've had these "rashes" before without being ill otherwise.  I would love to see a dermatologist, but usually the rash is gone before I can ever get an appt!  They seem to be under the surface of my skin (if that makes sense?), so I'm praying that whatever this is, I don't pass it to my daughter or husband.  Any advice???  Thank you.
It sounds like a form of eczema called dyshidrosis.  cause unknown.  Not contagious.  A virus wouldn't come and go as you describe.  For proper diagnosis, you'll need to see a skin doctor.  If at all possible, photograph the rash as best you can in case it isn't there when you go.  meantime, however, I don't think you need to worry about passing it to you family.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Dear ankirei,

Did you ever figure out a diagnosis?  I have the same symptoms, along with others that you did not list, which may or may not be attributed (perhaps I have a couple things happening at the same time?).  But I do also have the recurring red spots on my palms, which take about a day to go away.  Sometimes they itch, especially at night, but are never raised.  Accompanyed with those is also the same red fingertips with extreme sensitivity to hot water, holding a coffee cup, etc., and general numbness and tingling in the tips.

I went to a dermatoligst and took pictures along, b/c I too could not get in fast enough, and he immediately attributed it to Erythema Multiforme, which when I got home and looked at pics/symptoms online, was assured that he was wrong.  He was a total wack to begin with anyway and I wasted my time with him (his first response after seeing the pictures was: "You're the type of patient I would give $20 to go somewhere else," which I should have done immediately after he said that.  I then went to my GP and he was baffled (b/c of other sysmtpoms too),and immediately scheduled blood tests.  I'm now waiting for results, but still concerned and researching just in case they come back negative - I want to get to the bottom of this.

Some of my other sysmptoms include:
Rash on trunk (mainly hips and left/right of stomach)
Flush face, but white around the eyes
Dehydrated
Fatigued
Joint pain and soreness, mainly upper body

I would appreciate any response.
A related discussion, palm of hands red and sensative to heat was started.
A related discussion, Red palms and soles of feet was started.
A related discussion, Maybe Allergic reaction ! was started.