Dermatology Expert Forum
one red bump with a long hair in the middle in my pubic region, herpes?...

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

one red bump with a long hair in the middle in my pubic region, herpes?

i had unprotected oral sex with a stripper who seemed clean, a buddy did as well after me as well as protected sex. he has no symptoms. i have a red dot smaller than a dime and shaped more like a rectangle with round edges. it had a half inch hair sticking out of the middle with a small white head that i couldn't pop. this bump has no puss or fluid, is not crusting over, is painless, itch less, and just sensitive to the touch. this does not look like a wart or a rash. i plucked the long hair out of the middle right away and wash the area, since then i just put antibiotic bandaids on it and it has not gotten any worse or better. its been 6 days now since it appeared noticeably which was 3 days after my encounter, about a week and half since the encounter now. what is this most likely to be? and what precautions should i take since i am in a serious sexual relationship? i am very healthy with a strong immune system and get the bump covered at all times but i still have sex as ive had ingrown hairs before and this is similar. it is right where my band of my briefs and tight athletic briefs rub however ive never had something like this and im nervous especially after my encounter. i do have a picture i can post as well. it is not really swollen anymore but is still a slight bump to it. it is unnoticable throughout the day except for visually seeing it or the bandaid i cover it with.

is it likely herpes or likely something else, if so what?

if i keep it covered and restrains from sex as much as possible will it lessen the chance of spreading whatever it is? i keep my hands and clothes clean anything that touches it gets washed right away. thanks so much for all your time :)

Thanks for posting your query.
I can understand your concern but from your symptoms and the fact that the bump has appeared where the elastic band of briefs is, it is most likely to be folliculitis skin. It starts when hair follicles are damaged by friction from clothing or blockage of the follicle. In most cases of folliculitis, the damaged follicles are then infected with the bacteria Staphylococcus (staph).

Wear cotton underwear and keep the area clean. Also use mild soaps like Dove. Apply Neosporin or Bactroban cream on the red bump. If it decreases in size then it is folliculitis. If it remains the same then cyst should be ruled out.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Wishing you good health.