Dermatology Expert Forum
overdid icing/pain patch

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

overdid icing/pain patch

Hi:  I have recent a problem in my left shoulder from tendinitis.  Unfortunately, while icing it a few days ago, I put on too much ice and caused a burn I think.  I also used an anti-pain patch couple days ago that has menthol on it, and it seems like it burned off some of the skin.  Now, it has a red gash mark that is quite painful, and it looks like the anti-pain patch with menthol bore off some of the skin and it is all red.  Can you advise if it will eventually go away on its own?  Should I use any kind of soothing rub on it to help with the healing?  

On another note, on my right shoulder I was also diagnosed with a partially torn rotator cuff a couple of months ago.  I had been doing a lot of icing, and I also overdid it, although not as bad as with my left shoulder.  There was a reddish mark, although its mostly faded away and left kind of brownish blotch that starts to peel a little bit.  Will things eventually get back to normal here on this shoulder.

I am more worried about my left shoulder now since I either tore some skin and/or burned it with the pain patch.  Obviously, I have learned my lesson and need to be more careful in icing any kinds of injuries.  

Thank you!
Even if you overdid it, these red marks will heal on their own, and the less you do, the faster they'll heal.  The skin should return completely to normal, but it may take a couple of months to reach that point.

Easy on the ice.....

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Thank you for your reply Dr. Rockoff.  Just a quick follow-up question.  I would emphasize that the skin on my left shoulder seems to have gotten completely ripped off by the pain patch I was using after I iced, it is not just red from the ice itself.  It will still grow back over this mark?  Thanks, Josh