Dermatology Expert Forum
painful skin surface
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

painful skin surface

For the last week, I have had pain on my right leg, located primarily on the thigh area.  The skin there feels like it would if it had been chaffed by clothing...yet there is no visible rash or redness in the area.  It is remarkably uncomfortable!  Long pants are not my friends of late because of the contact with my skin.

The painful area seems to move about...it started on the back of my thigh...one day it was on my calf area...not it seems to have taken up residence on the front of my thigh.  But it is consistantly there.

I should also mention that I had a small area of redness about the size of a quarter on my right butt cheek.  It looked like poison ivy would.  And it is clearing.  I'm not sure if/how it's related.
Related Discussions
242489_tn?1210500813
Mike:

I'm drawing a blank.  I don't know of any medical conditions which behave just the way you describe.  Some people get a sore patch on the outside of the thigh, but that stays in one place and tends to be chronic.

On the positive side, I would say that this sort of symptom - fleeting itch or burning - can appear for no apparent reason, last a while and go away.  I would get some topical anesthetic lotion (pramoxine is over-the-counter) and apply it as needed to the areas which trouble you.  I predict that in 2 or 3 weeks, the condition subsides.  If not, you should show your doctor, or perhaps a neurologist.  But I bet you won't need to.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
2 Comments
Blank
Thank you for putting me at ease.  Over the course of the weekend my problem cleared up and I feel more or less normal.  This is a great board, I appreciate the help.
Blank
A related discussion, painful skin was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank
Private practice
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker