Dermatology Expert Forum
painful skin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

painful skin

I have a skin condition that is very puziling.  My skin feels as if I have a bruise or light sunburn.  It is just an area that is very sensitive.  It's kind of like when you have aches because of the flu  but I don't have any other symptoms.  The area is from the groin area up to above my waist.  On the right side only.  I am medicated for high blood pressure and wondered if this could be the problem.  It is not a terrible pain but rather a mild ache but is tender to the touch.  Any ideas about what might be causing this?
To be honest, no.  Your symptoms don't remind me of any condition I'm familiar with.  I can't think of anything serious which might cause these symptoms.  If I were you, I'd keep the skin lubricated with any moisturizer you like, and otherwise ignore it.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
By any chance, do you have the genital herpes virus?  This painful skin thing you mention does happen to some people before they have a herpes flare-up.  Since the virus lies dormant in your nerve endings, right before a flare up you will get this painful skin which is very similar to how your skin feels when you have a flu/fever.  It not only hurts to the touch but you are aware of it without touching it....like a sunburn. You cannot see anything.   It does not mean that the herpes will show up where the skin hurts, but a region of skin hurting lets you know a flareup is coming.  For example, sometimes I will get this painful skin thing all down the backside of my upper leg, or along my ribcage.  It can appear anywhere.  If you do not carry this virus, none of this applies to you, but it does exist.