patches of red itchy scaly bumps around mouth and unde nose

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I HAVE 2 PATCHES OF RED BUMPS ONE KIND OF ON MY CHIN AND THE OTHER TO THE LEFT UP ABOVE MY MOUTH. ALSO THEY ARE ALL UNDER MY NOSE, RED BUMPS AND DRIED SKIN THAT PEELS..IT ITCHES SOMETIMES AND BURNS IF I PUT ACNE CREAM ON IT. WHAT COULD IT BE AND HOW CAN I GET RID OF IT? THE ONE ON MY CHIN HAS BEEN THERE FOR 4 MONTHS OR SO. THE OTHERS JUST POPPED UP.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

These red itchy bumps which may present with scales may have perioral dermatitis, fungal infections and impetigo as differentials. At this point, based on your description, I would lean towards perioral dermatitis more.

"Perioral dermatitis is a common skin problem that mostly affects young women. Occasionally men or children are affected. Perioral refers to the area around the mouth, and dermatitis indicates redness of the skin. In addition to redness, there are usually small red bumps or pus bumps, and mild peeling. Sometimes the bumps are the most obvious feature, and the disease can look a lot like acne. The areas most affected are within the borders of the lines from the nose, to the sides of the lips, and the chin. There is frequent sparing of a small band of skin that borders the lips. Occasionally, the areas around the nose, eyes, and cheeks can be affected. Sometimes there is mild itching or burning. "

Source:http://www.aad.org/public/publications/pamphlets/common_perioral.html

This may need oral antibiotics. Microscopic evaluation of the scales using KOH examination will be able to help ascertain if a fungal infection is present.

I've had what sounds like the same problem for the past year. I had it before when I was younger for about a year (under my nose) as well and I guess it eventually ran it's course and went away. Now about 4 years later it's come back around my chin. It pops up like little pimples, but when you pick them they get WAY worse, then the dry up and flake away only to run through the cycle again.

I finally went to a dermatologist. I told him I thought it was perioral dermatitis because that seems to match the description perfectly but he said it was eczema (Umm no. It's not) and put me on some cure all steroid cream and it has helped keep it somewhat at bay but it's always constantly there, now it doesn't flare up as bad.

I say all that to say, if that sounds similar and you find out what the heck it is let me know!
I have had the same symptoms on and off for 20 years.  It started when I was in my 20s and now I'm in my forties. Over that time I have been to numerous dermatologists and it has been diagnosed numerous ways (as perioral dermatitis, as eczema, as rosacea) and has been treated numerous ways (all manner of cortisone creams, oral antibiotics, anti-fungal cream, metro lotion for rosacea, etc.).  Nothing got rid of it.  I just use makeup to cover it up.  The cortisones make it temporarily less red but it's not good to use cortisone for very long so it's not a permanent solution.  The other meds did nothing at all.  I have resigned myself to just wearing foundation when I feel self-consious about it.  It covers up pretty well but then I try to use it only on special occasions so as not to cause a flare up from clogging the pores.  Good luck to all!
You can try Cefuroxime made by GSK of UK or equivalent, a type of antibiotics for sore throat. It works very well on me after taking 3 - 5 days based on the instructions on the box (light blue & white color box), the red patches disappeared entirely.

BUT, ask your pharmacist for further advice if you can take such antibiotics why may cause side effects to certain peoples.
Has anyone tried Organic Aragon Oil? I am thinking about ordering it... I have the same problem..I find it flares up in the winter & when I'm eating a lot of bread-y doughy things. I eat all organic vegetarian diet & use all natural product (100% no chemicals). I thought it could be a combination of food, the weather, me not using any sort of moisturizer (& Dr. Bronners may have over dried my face a bit).. I ordered a natural shay butter face kit this week (http://www.sheayurvedics.com/). If that helps I will let you all know. I am also going to try Aragon oil if it isn't gone by Christmas. Good luck ladies! :)
My mother told me that I had it from birth on, always in the my nostrils. It never vanished, even though it was diagnosed a couple times --- always differently --- and treated similarly to your account with cortisone, antimycoticum (anit-fungal) and various others.

I am now in my twenties and it continues to flare up really bad and starts to spread around my mouth. From the pictures and the description I am inclined to think it is perioral dermatitis.
I had the same problem, tried acne creme (burned) tried antibiotic creme, anti fungal creme & yeast creme & nothing worked until I remember reading creme with zinc helped, I grabbed my baby's Butt Paste & after two months of nothing working the Butt Paste has worked awesome, it's almost gone! I got mine at Walmart by the baby diapers & rash cream :)