Dermatology Expert Forum
patchy red bumps on ankles

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

patchy red bumps on ankles

For about eight years now I've been getting these little red bumps on my ankles. They sometimes appear in small clusters and sometimes are single bumps here and there. They are mildly itchy. Some of them have fluid inside. It often looks like I've been attacked by a swarm of mosquitoes - although the bumps are a bit smaller than mosquito bites.  It seems to be more prevailent in the warmer months. It's not caused by shoes because I tend to go barefoot or wear sandals in the summer. It's definitely not caused by bugs because I get it in the winter too.

I'll use Rhuli from time to time.  That helps in drying them up and helping them disappear but they always ALWAYS come back. Please help.
I'd like to, but your description doesn't remind me of anything: not eczema, fungus, bites, allergy, or anything else.

Because the skin is visible, it throws up many inscrutable symptoms.  The best we can do about them is is rule out anything serious, and treat the symptoms.

My advice is to use Rhulicream, Sarna, or some other anti-itch preparation, and to show the rash to a skin doctor when you can arrange to do so.

The fact that this has been happening for 8 years without spreading or changing character suggests that nothing significant is going on, just a minor annoyance.

Sorry I can't be of more specific help.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Is it possible that you have fleas in your home?  I know that when they bite, they leave little red bumps if you are allergic.  A girlfriend of mine had fleas in her carpet from her cat and went through the same thing.

X
In the beginning, I thought that's what it was but I've lived in two homes since and now have hardwood floors and definitely no fleas.
Maybe eczema or folliculitis
I had to comment, because I had the very same thing!!!   Exactly!
From the time I was about 10 till I was about 21, my ankles only the insides (not the outsides) would itch like crazy.  I thought I was alergic (allergic) to the grass or something, but knew that wasn't it.  Finally the only way to stop it was to use alcohol and vow no matter how much they itched not to ever itch them again.  It was hard but they are fine now, but you know what if I get real hot and sweaty, they still itch and if I scratch them, they blister up right away....those water blisters you talked about....exactly.......good luck to you.