peeling fingers

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

peeling fingers

I have this ugly peeling on my rt index and middle fingers. It has now started on my lt middle finger. It started about 7 yrs ago. It peelins off in layers. I have a dark complexion and it is very noticeable . The fingers are peeled down to a red,pale layer down to the second pip on the infected fingers. I have not found any relief with lotions,creams or MDs. I would love to find a cure. I have read many of the other discussions and my condition sounds very similar to mine. I do have hypothyroidism and I take a diuretic/BP med for HTN. One doctor said my Vit D was low but after taking supplements it is better. I have long suffered with acne(from the age of 15 to 47) the acne leaves hyperpigmented discolorations on my body and face. I have spent thousands trying to rid my body of what looks like a plague to others.  I would be very interested in getting rid of both issues. I hope some one can help.

This discussion is related to skin peeling of in layers on hands.
Various possibilities for peeling fingertips are contact dermatitis and contact with harsh detergents, soaps and lotions. Sometimes cold, dry air can cause  peeling and dermatitis or fungal infections can also cause peeling.

Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. For mild-moderate symptoms a weak steroid may be used, whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid.

Symptoms can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin. During the day, hydrate and protect hands with a protective and moisturizing cream. At night, repair them with creams formulated from glycolic acid—a must for improving skin texture and tone. If still the symptoms do not improve then please get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist. Fungal infections and eczema have to be ruled out then. Regarding the acne scars, treatment includes various skin creams like hydroquinone, azelaic acid, corticosteroids, tretinoin cream and laser treatment. If it still persists then you can go in for laser treatment, Chemical peeling or microdermabrasion.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.