Dermatology Expert Forum
peeling lips

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

peeling lips

I am 39 years old and have been having problem with my peeling lips(whole layer of lower lip and about the vermilion border of upper lip).It's not like chapped lips. My lips keep peeling off several times a day when it get contacts with water or liquid in the food(both upper and lower). There is no pain or bleeding or cracking except  for some occasional, burning sensation. I have to use straw drinking water or other liquid and eating with small portion of food to avoid contact with the lips.
My lips condition started 4 months ago as few small isolated red patches(0.3-0.6 cm in diameters) in both lips (at the vermilion border). Some of them showed pin-point whitish colour in its center similar to being scratched by a needle and I am sure there were no any blister and no pain no itching at all. One physician(infection desease)thought it was viral infection(not by its typical characters lesion but by smear test that showed multinucleated giant cell). I was put on antiviral medicine(zovirax) for about 10 days. The red spots gradually disappeared. Later on, my lips started to have red inflamed area (underneath the lower lip skin and started peeling off in the region of vermilion border when contacting with water or liquid. I can not soak my mouth as normal people,otherwise it would create more peeling.
I went  to see a dermatologist, she thought  I was still have viral infection so I was put on another course of antiviral drug (valtrex)for 2 weeks and also tropical steroid (prevex HC). Unfortunately, I was allergic to prevex HC as I had a burnt sensation after put it on my lips. The dermatologist  then gave me another steroid (diprosone) to put on my lips for 5 days. There was no improvement . More over, smear test from the lips showed evidence of yeasts as a result of using Diprosone. So I was treated with a course of oral antifungus tablets (Nizoral) for 2 weeks. After that the yeast  had been cured but my lips kept on peeling and increasing in extend involving particularly the entire lower and upper lips (mucosa and gum are normal). It appears to me that after 4 months peeling the lips become thinner and red with some burning sensation especially when exposed to wind or an air con.The only thing I can use with no harm side effect is only vasaline (Steriod cream and ointment did not work on my lips) Anyhow the peeling of my lips layer is chronic.
Incidentally, I had dental filling and crowning of one of my upper molar tooth about 1 month prior to my lips peelin. Is it possible that I am allergic to the dental material?(eventhough it is not direct contact to my lips). I quit using lipstick for long time ago and have not used any kind of toothpaste and mouthwash chemical for 3 months. I use warm water to clean my teeth.
Please advise beside allergy what other skin problem or disease I might have, and if this chronic peeling still persists 2-3 times per day what would effect my lips? What should I do.
Thank you in advance for your advice.
Ple
Your problem may have begun as a yeast infection (it certainly doesn't sound as though it was ever a virus infection--e.g. herpes.)  At this point, however, what you describe sounds like cheilitis, or eczema of the lip.  This is a chronic annoyance, but no more.  If I were you, I would re-consult the dermatologist, and ask about having him or her treat you with a combination of a mild topical steroid and a good emollient, such as Aquaphor (over the counter.)  If the creams burn, please continue them, as the burning is not an allergy, just a refelction that your skin is somewhat inflamed.

If you keep this up long enough, weeks to months, your condition is likely to go away.  But you have to be patient.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I too have the same problem but have not seeked help.  I have had this problem for about two weeks.  I can't wear lipstick because it comes right off and crumbles.  I have noticed that I got a canker sore inside my mouth around the lip area.  Could this be a problem with iron or vitamin B.  I have recently just started to work out, and changed my eatting habits.  I did notice that the toothpaste i'm using contains SLS could that be a factor?  Please advise, my lips need relief, as do I.
I'm 40 yrs old and have been experiencing chronic peeling lips for approx. 3 months now.  My lips are peeling almost entirely several times a day.  The dermatologist diagnosed me with some form of irritation and prescribed Deonide(?) cortisone ointment.  The ointment works great continuously, but if I discontinue use even for one day, the irritation comes back.  I would like to get to the cause of the problem and treat it, as opposed to just temporarily covering it up.  I'm very careful about sun exposure and always use sunblock on face and lips, but thought perhaps it's a result of too much sun exposure from back in my teens.  Any suggestions as to what this could be?
A related discussion, peeling lips was started.
A related discussion, CHRONIC RED PEELING LIPS was started.
A related discussion, BLACK WOMAN WITH VERY PINK LIPS. was started.