peeling of palmar and plantar skin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

peeling of palmar and plantar skin

hi!!
My 2 yr old daughter"s skin in her palms and soles is peeling... this is happening since she was 3months old.. everyone in my family said that its physiological.. old skin will shed and new skin comes.. but as days passed the peeling has never stopped.. The skin is peeling in layers,and leaving the underlying area pink and very sensitive, its even worse in the creases..Now the peeling has even spread to the dorsum of her hands, i.e around the nails..now i am worried where it will continue peeling all over her hands..i have consulted many number of dermatologists in India and USA but no dint get any remedy till date. Only suggestion they give is to keep it moist, but moisturizing it, makes it soft enabling my daughter to peel the skin easily when she is jobless, that's become a nice pass time for her..they have even prescribed some corticosteroid ointments, neither did it help. Can anyone please help me with some remedy.. Its so embarrassing to go out to meet friends or relatives, for everyone keeps asking as to what has happened, and whether we did not take her to any doctor.

No one in mine and my husbands family has suffered from such a condition previously
Me and my husband are 2nd cousins.
she was a preterm baby born at 36weeks, for i had lost liqour, with no other complications
she has no other allergies or any drug sensitivity

i have heard of gene typing and genetic mutation, will that help.

anyone,please suggest me some remedy!!

This discussion is related to skin peeling of in layers on hands.
Tags: peeling, Skin, Baby
For such peeling of hands and feet, atopic dermatitis should be ruled out. Although steroids, are commonly used for the treatment of atopic dermatitis, there are certain other agents also which are used like immune modulator drugs e.g. tacrolimus. These are available in the form of ointments and tend to prevent the recurrence. You can discuss with your dermatologist regarding the possibility abd the right use.

There are certain other non-pharmacological measures which are equally important in treating atopic dermatitis. These are Lubricating the skin frequently, avoiding harsh soaps and cleansers, preventing scratching or rubbing whenever possible, protecting skin from excessive moisture, irritants, and rough clothing, maintaining a cool, stable temperature and consistent humidity levels and limiting exposure to dust, cigarette smoke, pollens, and animal dander.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.