Dermatology Expert Forum
penis burning and redness

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

penis burning and redness
It had been 55 days since having unprotected oral sex from a prostitute when I noticed a red blotch on the head of the penis,1/4 inch in diameter that was under the skin, not on it. I did have rather vigorous sex the night before. By the end of the day and for the next 6 days I experienced mild to moderate burning sensation mainly on the penis head but also down the shaft and back to the anus. On the 7th day a sore red irregular patch appeared below the glans on the underside along the median, again about 1/4 inch across. Only upon investigation with a magnifying glass could I see a cluster of very small red bumps(pinhead size or smaller). The burning sensation continues but mainly in the area of the red patch. It is now the 12th day and the sore red patch is starting to diminish. There was what looked to be one tiny blister in the middle of the patch but never broke. The tiny red bumps never went to blister. I had no appetite in the first week but I dont know if thats because I'm just worrying about this night and day.
I went to my GP who thought herpes unlikely because the first episode should have more pronounced symptoms. He took a swab of the area for herpes anyway but advised that with no broken lesions it probably wont be definitive. He didnt want to bother with a blood test. He prescribed Cipro and Zithro, just in case, for the other STD's.
Like many people I've read everything on the internet regarding herpes but cant get a clear self diagnosis. Whats your opinion. Is it possible to have such a first episode. Is it possible the first episode was so mild that I missed it and that the burning sensation was the prodrome of a recurrent episode. If it is herpes could I have passed it on before this first episode arose.

It does not sound like herpes.  However, as I'm sure you know from your reading, herpes can have varied manifestations.  I think the best way to set your mind at ease is to get a type-specific herpes 2 blood test.  Once it's found to be negative (as I expect),  I would repeat it in 2-3 months.  Another negative and you can take herpes off your agenda.  Blood test details are on www.herpesdiagnosis.com.

Should you get a recurrence of your symptoms, see a doctor right away for examination and culture, or similar test.  However, I doubt this will be necessary.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff