Dermatology Expert Forum
penis irritation after sex- red/raw patch

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Hi- I have had this happen a few times in the last couple of years and again now. I have a new girlfriend and we started having sex without condoms 6 days ago and have slept together everyday. We stopped using condoms because we've decided to be committed and we are both sensitive to latex- and clean of course! Condoms always irritate my penis, but it's minor and goes away quickly. The first time we had sex w/o condom six days ago, I felt like I was getting scratched a little- kind of like going against stubble. It especially hurt in one general area in the middle of my penis on the bottom of the shaft to one side and there was redness visible after sex- it went away by morning. Sex the next few days was not irritating and I felt no scratching. It happened again last night and the major irritaion re-appeared in the same place, but it is worse this time and it doesn't look it will heal so fast. I asked her about her shaving habits this time and she said she only waxes, so there was in fact no stuble! We did however have sex for a long time and there was a lot of hard rubbing/grinding. So what's going on? This has happened to me before with my past girlfriend and while irritaion could occur anywhere around the base or middle of my penis, the spot I am having trouble with now was my main problem spot in the past. The first time this happend a couple years ago, I freaked out and went to see my GP multiple times about it because I was just sure it had to be an std. She assured me it wasn't and said my skin is sensitive and I shouldn't worry. It only occurs when it's irritated and doesn't look at all like any std, so it's not that I don't believe her, I just want a solution if possible. This is very irritating and is inhibiting my love life. Do you have any ideas? Is there something wrong with me? Can I prevent this? Do you agree with my GP's diagnosis given I realize you can examin me? Sorry for the long explanation and thank you very much in advance for your help. This is is really bothering me, both physically and psycologically!
I certainly agree that this sounds lie irritation, not an STD, and the fact that it's happened repeatedly doesn't mean there's anything worn with you, just that the penis is sensitive and friction of the type you describe will do this.  Lubrication before and after sex may help, and a prescription-strength hydrocortisone preparation when the area is sore would also be a good idea.  Don't wash too much, as that would also increase irritation.  Just an annoyance, though, nothing to worry about.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Thank you very much for the quick response. Just a quick question- You said to use lubrication before and after. I imagine you mean something such as KY-liquid for intercourse, but do you mean some sort of lotion for after or what?
Thank You.
A related discussion, Redness on penis after sex was started.
A related discussion, sex without condom was started.
A related discussion, red sore on penis was started.