perineal itching

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

perineal itching

It is not a vaginal infection (already been checked), nor is it scabies or some fungus, but I have persistent itching in the perineal area, beginning at the front and progressing backwards.  It got better after a hemorrhoidectomy, but it is back in full force.  It is not detergents, soaps, or dryer softeners.  It is not nerves because it wakes me up from a sound sleep.  But it does seem to peak at the same time each day, and is especially bad at 4:15AM-5:15AM and again at the same hours in the PM.  I am on an elimination diet to see if it is an allergic response to something I'm eating, but there has been no improvement of symptoms.  It is not dryness and there are no bumps or scales or flaking.  Baby oil, vitamin A&D ointment, benedryl cream and spray, and HCTZ creams really only give relief as I'm putting the stuff on, probably because it gets a good scrub like scratching a mosquito bite.  Could it be something like the itching associated with the varicosities of hemorrhoids? or is it hormonal (although I have no other hormonal symptoms)? It itches until it burns like a fire ant bite!
  • legs (1 replies):
    I am 15 and I have exzema(atopic dermatitis). I used to...[more]
  • rash on chest (2 replies):
    I have been suffering from a peculiar rash on my upper c...[more]
  • Itchy legs (3 replies):
    Hello. Whenever I attempt to walk quickly, my legs begin...[more]
  • frequent rashes (1 replies):
    I have been getting these red rashes that are hot to tou...[more]
  • unanswered rash (1 replies):
    hi for about a month now ive had this circle patch about...[more]

This sounds like atopic dermatitis.

The skin of a patient with atopic dermatitis reacts abnormally and easily to irritants, food, and environmental allergens and becomes red, flaky and very itchy. It also becomes vulnerable to surface infections caused by bacteria. The skin on the flexural surfaces of the joints (for example inner sides of elbows and knees) are the most commonly affected regions in people.

Excessive heat (especially with humidity) and coldness are known to provoke outbreaks, as well as sudden and extreme temperature swings.

To combat the severe dryness associated with eczema, a high-quality, dermatologist approved moisturizer should be used daily. Moisturizers should not have any ingredients that may further aggravate the condition. Moisturizers are especially effective if applied within 5-10 minutes after bathing.

Most commercial soaps wash away the oils produced by the skin that normally serve to prevent drying. Using a soap substitute such as aqueous cream helps keep the skin moisturized. A non-soap cleanser can be purchased usually at a local drug store. Showers should be kept short and at a lukewarm/moderate temperature.

If moisturizers on their own don't help and the eczema is severe, a doctor may prescribe topical corticosteroid ointments, creams, or injections. Corticosteroids have traditionally been considered the most effective method of treating severe eczema.

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for your symptoms and a proper clinical examination if your symptoms persist.

Let us know about how you are doing and if you need any other information.

Post us about what your doctor advises.

Regards.