Dermatology Expert Forum
perineum boils

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

perineum boils

a few years ago an ex-girlfriend advised me that she had tested positive for hpv. i had never had any symptoms of any kind and did not for about another year. since then i have experienced what seem to be boils, as opposed to warts, that are located in the perineum area. they last for about a week and a half, are painful and red and can be popped like a zit, and then they eventually go away. everything i have read indicates that hpv manifests as warts rather than as boils so im not sure what i am dealing with. lately i have noticed a feverish kind of feeling when one is present.

this has been going on for nearly three years now, with recurrence ranging from every couple weeks to the occassional two-three month period without any symptoms. i dont have a lot of faith in my local doctor (advised me hpv was not a big deal and i shouldnt tell partners) so i have done a lot of internet research. so far i have come up with some horrible potential culprits such as hidrandinitis suppartiva, hpv, furuncles, staphylococcus aureaus, and molluscum contagiousum.

not knowing what this is a very difficult thing to deal with emotionally and in terms of what it does to your sex life. if i had a harmless strain of hpv that would be one thing, but the different strains have such different impacts it might as well be a different disease.

is there some way to nail down what this is, and if it is hpv, to determine which strain it is. why would it last so long? are there any specialists that you can suggest i go see for evaluation, do you take new patients at your clinic?
I don't think you have HPV.  Most likely, you have recurrent folliculitis, which is promoted by sweat, friction, the presence of staph germs in the follicles, and so forth.  Despite my mention of germs, this is not contagious.  My advice is to cleanse daily with an antibacterial soap (like Dial), to leave the spots alone and not pop them, and to see a dermatologist for definitive diagnosis and treatment.  I very much doubt that you will find anything serious.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
1 Comment
A related discussion, Reoccuring boils was started.