periocular dermatitis - PLEASE Help.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

periocular dermatitis - PLEASE Help.

Hi there,

I am a 25 year old male. I have been on two rounds of accutane in my life. The last time was when I was 20. I have been acne free for years (I feel lucky for that). However my old dermatologist noticed I had fairly dry skin...that was about 4 years ago. He told me to use Hydracortisone on my face for redness! I should have KNOWN that was a mistake!!

I used the Hydracortisone for 3 years. I read online that it can cause problems as you age, thin skin, etc. I stopped using it right away. A few weeks after I stopped, I noticed under my right eye, these random red spots. It would go away and come back, not sure what it was. I did so much research online and I believe I have steriod induced periocular dermatitis. I went to my doctor and he was totally uninformed about it.

My doctor perscribed me Metrogel 0.75. I have been using it since Jan 18th 2010 (last month). For the most part I have been clear, however I still see some LIGHT red areas like they are fading away. Have I not used it long enough? BUT, I cleaned the house yesterday, and now today I have a larger red area in the corner of my eye..probably from sweating? My doctor reccommended I take Doxycycline 100mg, accept I took two pills and had total stomach pain -with or without food!

My question is. What do I do here? I don't have insurance, so I really need the advice, it would be greatly appreciated!!!!! Do I tell my doctor about the doxy upsetting my stomach? If I do take a new antibiotic should I use metrogel at the same time? Also, as I said I have somewhat dry skin. Is it okay after I put the metrogel on, to put aloevera or light lotion on my face after the metrogel has dried? Or should I keep any lotion or aloe away from that eye while I use the metrogel? Like I said, the periocular dermatitis/rosacea is just under my right eye, nowhere else!! I need some professional help here so I can tell him "this is what a professional told me."

Any help is so appreciated, I just hope I can help someone else in the future who may have this problem as well.

Thank you!
Adam
Any product/perscription you can inform me of, cream/antibiotic wise, would be helpful so I can inform my doctor. Thank you.
Well, today the LARGE new red spot I had is starting to look dry as if its fading away. Quite annoying. I am hoping that continued use with this metrogel is going to work significantly over a months use. I read it takes one-two months for the metrogel to really work when it comes to the periocular dermatitis under the eye. Not sure if thats true.
Update

As of yesterday my eye is totally clear. I will have been using Metrogel a month on the 19th of this month (next week). Now that my eye is clear, how long do I continue to use metrogel to keep the periocular dermatitis away? 30 days, 60 days? I really want to avoid it coming back.