Dermatology Community
periocular dermatitis - PLEASE Help.
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

periocular dermatitis - PLEASE Help.

Hi there,

I am a 25 year old male. I have been on two rounds of accutane in my life. The last time was when I was 20. I have been acne free for years (I feel lucky for that). However my old dermatologist noticed I had fairly dry skin...that was about 4 years ago. He told me to use Hydracortisone on my face for redness! I should have KNOWN that was a mistake!!

I used the Hydracortisone for 3 years. I read online that it can cause problems as you age, thin skin, etc. I stopped using it right away. A few weeks after I stopped, I noticed under my right eye, these random red spots. It would go away and come back, not sure what it was. I did so much research online and I believe I have steriod induced periocular dermatitis. I went to my doctor and he was totally uninformed about it.

My doctor perscribed me Metrogel 0.75. I have been using it since Jan 18th 2010 (last month). For the most part I have been clear, however I still see some LIGHT red areas like they are fading away. Have I not used it long enough? BUT, I cleaned the house yesterday, and now today I have a larger red area in the corner of my eye..probably from sweating? My doctor reccommended I take Doxycycline 100mg, accept I took two pills and had total stomach pain -with or without food!

My question is. What do I do here? I don't have insurance, so I really need the advice, it would be greatly appreciated!!!!! Do I tell my doctor about the doxy upsetting my stomach? If I do take a new antibiotic should I use metrogel at the same time? Also, as I said I have somewhat dry skin. Is it okay after I put the metrogel on, to put aloevera or light lotion on my face after the metrogel has dried? Or should I keep any lotion or aloe away from that eye while I use the metrogel? Like I said, the periocular dermatitis/rosacea is just under my right eye, nowhere else!! I need some professional help here so I can tell him "this is what a professional told me."

Any help is so appreciated, I just hope I can help someone else in the future who may have this problem as well.

Thank you!
Adam