persistent TE. please help!

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

persistent TE. please help!

Around 3 years ago I went on a crash diet which resulted in hair loss (due to telogen effluvium). I spoke to a dermatologist and he prescribed rogaine. I used it for a couple of weeks, but stopped when I noticed that it was making my hair coarse.

I decided that I would just wait for the TE to go away.

It hasn't gone away. And I've been eating healthy for the past 2 1/2 years. My body is chemically balanced, I am not stressed, and I still have TE. So, here are my questions:

For up to how many years can TE persist, even after the cause has been dealt with? (I've been physically healthy for a while now and the TE hasnt gone away)

Can minoxidil "cure" my TE? Meaning, STOP the hair loss (even after I stop using minoxidil)?  In other words, does minoxidil cure TE or does it just stop the symptoms while in use?

I would really appreciate an answer! I've been dealing with TE since the age of 15, and I'm desperate to overcome it. Please help me!