Dermatology Community
petechia
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

petechia

Hello!  My 11 year old daughter has been having back, neck, arm, & leg pain off & on for a couple weeks.  About a month ago I found bruises going up & down her spine, they started to fade but never completely went away.  Now the bruises are real dark again.  She did not have any accidents or trauma to this area.  She has been having a headache for the last week or so almost every day & at times when she gets up from a sitting or lying down position says she feels dizzy.  Last night I also found little pinprick bluish, purple, red marks on the tops of both of her feet and around the ankles.  I am 99% positive they are petechia.  I did the test where you press down with your thumb and the color did not fade or change in the dots when I applied pressure.  Does it sound like any of these symptoms are related to each other?  Should this be of any concern?  My daughters pediatrician did see the bruises on her spine 2 different times in the last month or so & didn't seem concerned.  However, now I found those marks on her feet.  What could this be?  Thanks in advance for your time.
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi, in children, petechiae are mainly associated with viral diseases like meningococcemia, low platelet counts, mononucleosis and measles (rubella) etc. Is this associated with fever?

Please get her investigated in case petechiae persists for more than week.
Blank
466607_tn?1206989745
Thanks for your input.  There is no fever. She did end up going to the doctors yesterday.  He said that it is petechia, but that he thinks her shoes might be rubbing on her feet or her socks might be too tight.    Her socks aren't tight & I just don't think thats the case with her shoes.  She wears tennis shoes everyday that slip on.  I told him I wanted blood work done to make me feel better, so he wrote me out a script to take her somewhere. I'm going to take her today.  
Blank
hello i know this was quite some yrs back for your daughter. Did u ever gt a diagnosis? also really worried about petechiae. plz message bak
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dermatology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...