pimple like bump on the top of my lip

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

pimple like bump on the top of my lip

Hi, This morning I woke up with a pimple like thing on the top of my lip. Seems like it is between my actually lip and the skin. I'm extremely worry I never got this before any Idea what this might be?. It is not a rash or a blister. It looks like a pimple but no blackhead. It hurts a little when I touch it. Help please!
Tags: lips
This is probably an acne lesion. Acne vulgaris (commonly called acne) is a skin disease caused by changes in the pilosebaceous units (skin structures consisting of a hair follicle and its associated sebaceous gland).

Acne is the direct result of skin pores becoming clogged with sebum, a naturally occurring oil, and dead skin cells. In these conditions the naturally occurring largely commensual bacteria Propionibacterium acnes can cause inflammation, leading to inflammatory lesions.
They can be single or appear as a crop of lesions  on the face and upper neck, which  are the most commonly affected, but the chest, back and shoulders are also prone to them.

Widely available OTC bactericidal products containing benzoyl peroxide may be used in mild to moderate acne. The gel or cream containing benzoyl peroxide is rubbed, twice daily, into the pores over the affected region.
This is sufficient to bring about a resolution in about a week's time.

ref:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acne
Avatar_dr_f_tn

The lip border is lined with several glands both seat glands ad oil glands. These glands may be infected. This does no sound serious. Avoid hot beverages and use mild toothpaste preferably with low fluoride content. This should resolve in a few days without intervention. However, if the swelling persist and if pain progresses, then you may need to apply topical medications n the area.
It was getting like puss in the middle so I pop it. This morning I notice it doesnt hurt anymore but its the shell or it is really hard. I dont have anything else on my lips but this pimple like thing. I hate having to go to work with this any idea what might of caused this or what it actually is now with the picture? I have a picture of it if I can have a second opinion please.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l227/elusiverichard/DSC00336.jpg
Avatar_dr_f_tn

I saw the image and this appears like a pimple or an infected sweat or oil gland. You may apply a topical antibiotic on the area. Use a sterile cotton tipped applicator to apply the antibiotic. Be careful not to involve other areas. You may observe for the next 3 days and see if the bump improves or at least dry up. This should revert back to normal if an infection may be causing this. Refrain from unnecessarily touching the area and use only mild toothpaste preferably those with low fluoride content in brushing the teeth.