pityriasis rosea or ringworm? Please help!

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

hello, Iam 23 yr old female. A week ago I noticed 3 red rashes on my hands which are  now multiplied. I also have a few on my legs, one on my waist and 2 on my face. They are all round or oval and scaly. Most of them aren't growing a lot. I went to a doctor and he said that its probably pityriasis rosea but it could be ringworm (he said 10%). He prescribed betadine scrub soap, daktodor. I wasn't satisfied with the answer and asked for a second opinion. I was told that the rashes I have resemble both skin illnesses and it's difficult to say for sure.  They said that I have symptoms that agree and disagree with each one of the possible diagnoses and that I can't have the proper test done since I have already applied dektodor (have to wait 20 days without cream). Iam really frustrated not knowing what I have and how it is going to go away. I do't want to risk having ringworm and not trating it properly. I asked them if I could take the lamisil oral medication anyway and whether it could do me bad (in case of pityriasis rosea) and they said no problem. I am still confused and I would like some advice and maybe information on specific differences I could notice between the two different rashes.
It is unusual for lesions of pityriasis rosea to form on the face, but they may appear on the cheeks or at the hairline. Initially, a primary plaque, called a herald patch, is seen. Then it is followed by a distinctive, generalized rash 1-2 weeks later. The rash lasts approximately 2-6 weeks and is found in a Christmas tree pattern over the trunk and abdomen.

For these oval spots on the face the possibilities of ringworm and nummular dermatitis need to be ruled out.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you very much for your help. My mother developed such rashes also a few days ago..so I figured it couldn't be pr but more likely ringworm. I called my dermatologist and he said I should take lamisil pills (250mg) for a month. I started a week ago and the rashes have almost disappeared.