poison oak or similar rashes

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

poison oak or similar rashes

A blistery rash popped up on my arm and was infected in two days.  The infection was treated and is clear, but the forarm remains bumpy, very itchy and blotchy.  Is this consistent with poison oak, and how can I eliminate this itch?
Avatar dr f tn

Initial reaction to poison oak includes a  linear rash associated with redness and swelling. This is followed by blisters and severe itching. After a few days, the  blisters become crusted and begin to scale. It usually takes about ten days to heal.  It is important to wash all exposed areas with cold, running water as soon as you can and try to avoid scratching. Cool showers will help ease the itching and over-the-counter preparations, like calamine lotion, and antihistamine may also help.  If it persists, have this evaluated further by your doctor for proper management.

Take care and keep us posted.