post hemorrhoid skin tag surgery
After child birth I have a developed a skin tag at the opening of rectum from pushing and straining to push out my baby. Yes, it is called a skin tag - bigger ones are called hemorrhoids. So, essentially, this is a "post hemorrhoid" condition. The appearing of my skin tag is small, nontheless unsightly and somewhat bothersome when cleaning after a bowel movement. And I would like to have it surgically removed as I do not know of anything else that can be done to remove it.

Please describe in detail the type of surgery that would be involved to have it removed. How is pain level? I heard it was excruciating. How long is the recovery period?

If "hotnewfilm" is reading this, please let me know what kind of surgery you did to have your skin tag removed as I have read your question in this forum under the category "Skin Tag or Scar Tissue". Also, did you ever get your "scar tissue" removed as well? Did you find out what it was?
I have suffered hemorrhoids for 20 years. Internal and external. The doc who delivered my second son in 91 told me they were the worst hems he had ever seen.

I'm now 5 days after hemorrhoidectomy surgery and have VERY LITTLE PAIN. BMs are the worst, yes, but I've found a way to handle them. When you're ready to have a BM, fill the sitz bowl that the hospital provided you with warm water, place it on your toilet rim, then drop your bottom into it. The warm water encourages fecal movement and eases the pain of it passing through your very tender anus. Yes, its gross sitting in a bowl of poopy water, but its easy to clean up afterward and then you just take a shower and wash yourself thoroughly.

I hope this helps some of you. And, if you are considering the surgery, just let me say that you may NOT have all this pain. I was absolutely prepared for the worst recovery of my life, and have been blessed with a very mild recovery. The worst thing I have is a terrible case of cabin fever!

Good luck to all. May your "butt flowers" disappear forever! :)

had hem surgery on the 12th, it was the most painful thing i've ever gone through.  the feeling of having to urinate and nothing coming out,  the strain of having to push the pee out. i was in so much pain until i took an empty enema bottle and filled it with warm water and sprayed it on the clitoris then i was able to pee.  i was so happy.  it's also a good idea to rinse your bum after every bm with warm water.  i had my follow up a week later i thought i had hem back, but now i have skin tag.  it's still so painful. i had hem for awhile, and they weren't that bad i wished i didn't have the surgery.  the pain i went thru and the skin tag after wards.. not worth it!!  will the skin tag get smaller ever???
I had 2 skin tags removed yesterday. I had the injections to numb and they sliced them off. burnt the area to stop the bleeding and stitched me up which will dissolve after a while. Im so scared of going to the toilet. all im eating/drinking is smoothies as theyre full of vitamin c and im hoping when i do go it wont be hard. I a very light headed and cant stand for long periods of time. Im back to work monday and not sure how im going to cope with cleaing myself. I'll keep you posted but so far so good. The pain is going away but thats cause im dosed up 24/7. I had a birth mark removed and it was also burnt to stop the bleeding so i know that any lumps i may get are just scabs which will fall off eventually. I have high hopes for the future now as it was embarrassing before. I think i may call nhs direct as i have not been told about salt baths. Good luck if you are going for the surgery. Best to nip it in the bud i think ;-)
Just to let you know i spoke to nhs direct and they said salt baths wont really help that much unless you use loads of it. feeling better and have managed to eat and keep it down. The mixture of drugs the doctor gave didnt do me any favors to begin with but now im certainly on the mend. :-)
I am going in to get hems removed from inside and tags removed from outside on Tuesday, I am terrified but hope it will be worth it in the end, had them since giving birth to my 2 youngest, can't take anymore, hope I'm doing the right thing.....
I had my anal tag removed about 4 weeks ago.  Pain wasn't the issue for me.  It is the small lump that appeared after the surgery.  I was told this is normal and will go away eventually.  But now it has been 4 weeks, it's still there!  It's about 1cm rounded thing.  It is bigger than the skin tag I had.  Did I do a right thing to remove it?  Doctor said this lump is from the local anesthesia (shots) so you won't feel the pain during the surgery.  If I've known that, I would've told him to use less?!  Can you share your story?  How long does it take to go away?
I had an apparently "small" (although it really didnt feel that way to me) anal skin tag removed two weeks ago and just thought I'd share my experience, as after reading alot of scary stories on this site I was almost put off going through with it.

I was reffered to my local hospital for the procedure and the whole thing was done under general anestetic so i'm not really sure how it exactly it was removed but I assume it was just cut off and cauterized. I know that I definately didnt have any stitches or anything.

Afterwards the whole area was really bruised for about a week but I dont really know how long it took for the wound to heal because I couldnt even see it! I think it must have been pretty small and was hidden away inside. There was a tiny bit of bleeding and drainage for the first couple of days but now its fine.

I expected to be in pain when i came round from the anestetic but it was never really painful at any point, not even with BMs, it just felt bruised.

I'm not entirely sure why i was put under general anestetic, it seems a bit extreme and i dont think i would recommed it as despite eating a diet of mainly veg and drinking gallons off water for a week before hand in preparation, my BMs were really hard and quite weird (seriously i never had anything like this before!) for a few days after the surgery and I think it was possibly the anestetic to blame (either that or may due to shock to the area? I really dont know!)

I think it's likely i may get new tags in the future but I'm extremely happy I had it done as I feel so much more confident!

I am an 18 year old kid and have recently developed skin tags. My doctor says they are not that bad and has prescribed a cream called protopical. It is uncomfortable but not unbearable. Sometimes it hurts so bad tho, like the other night, I couldn't even  go to sleep. I am hoping that over time the swelling will go down. I wish I could just get them removed, do u think removal would be a good idea?
I'm just wondering if I might have them or not. never really hurts when I poo only when I hold it in sometimes because I think I don't really have to that much. so I don't wanna sit on the toliet and like keep pushing to get something out 'cause I'm afraid it would just make me get them or make matters worse. Never see any blood in my poop or on the toliet paper. But a few times I noticed some redness on my poo and idk if that's blood or not. worries me a little bit. I noticed that when I took poo sometimes I feel a bump sticking out my anus it doesnt hurt and I look at it in the mirror real quick and it seemed to match my skin color and after it just disappears can someone tell me what that is? idk. I'm new to this site and I'm sorry if I'm posting so much and if it's not in the right area but idk I just googled medhelp hemrroids and this is was i found.
I had a "pinky nail sized"  skintag removed from my anus about four years ago.  The procedure was done at a hospital in an operating room where they removed it.  It took about two months for it to completely heal.  The pain and blood during the first BM after surgery was extremely painful.  After the site healed, my anus looked a lot better but not perfect.  After removing the one skin tag, it left behind a couple of small pieces of skin that have since grown.  When my husband and I firth had sex last year he asked me "do you have a scar on your butt or something?" I was pretty embarassed but I realize that if he loves me he will overlook it. Which he has...for women who are afraid to have sex because they don't want their partner to see their "imperfect butthole," CONFIDENCE can mask  imperfections. If you don't think it's a big deal, he probably won't think so either.  Embrace it..rub it...chances are he will too!!
I had a skin tag removed 5 days ago, I had the courage to look into the mirror to see how I'd look down there... I am horrified because it seems like the skin tag they were supposed to remove is still there, but now it's a big swollen puff ball double it's size!  I have been calling the doctor all day... this CANT be normal!  can it?  I feel like I'm worse off.
well i wish i had read this forum before i decided to have my anal tag removed! i also had an anal fissure but that didnt bother i just wanted the tag removed for cosmetic reasons and i woz embarrassed about it.
well after the surgery i had the most painful poo i have ever had in my life and i now have a new anal tag which hangs down from my anus and it twice as bad as the one i removed. in fact, the one i had probably wasnt that bad at all. i wish the surgeon would have informed me of the possible results of the operation. i have been back to him and he is advising me not to have this one removed as it will in turn cause more fissures and tags and of course he is telling me that it would have happened anyway which of course it wouldnt. i would advise anyone thinking of surgery to assess how bad they actually think their tags are. i woz embarrassed before and now im not sure i will be able to show my bum to a future partner. i will never have the perfect bum and ive now made it worse with my vanity. if it doesnt hurt perhaps its best to leave it alone
Please! if anyone knows of a Doctor in Toronto Canada whom is experienced and confident enough to remove my anal skin tag which looks like a califlower please refer to me. I cannot live like this any longer and will proceed to remove it myself if I can't get a professional to do it! It is unsightly, unhygenic, at times sore and swollen and needs constant cleaning. Doctors need to take this issue much more seriously...I'm at the end with it! So please send a good referal.

i got  a hemorrhoid when i was 13 years old it left a skin tag. it really bothered me and i was very self conscious of it it did not hurt it was just very hard to clean after a bm. i asked my doctor several times for help he said not to remove it that removing it would cause more problems, i didnt listen, i went to a colorectal surgeon who did a hemrriodectomy, worst pain ever! then the surgery caused an anal fissure which would not heal so i had surgery for that which caused two skin tags instead of my original one skin tag, two that are very irritating and even harder to keep clean. looking back (its been 2 years since first surgery) i wish i never even had surgery done in the first place i should have just left it alone but i guess i had to learn the hard way. now i went through surgeries and severe pain all to make my situation worse.just make sure you research the surgery and that the risks are worth it, i wouldnt want anyone to end up like me and go through all that an coem out worse then i went in
I just had internal rhoid removal using the staple method and had two anal skin tags removed last Friday. My anus looks horrible, it looks way worse than before I had the surgey. It looks like I have four or five hemorrhoids in the place of the skins tags. Has then happened to anyone and else and does it go away? I am beside myself. All of this pain for nothing.
Around October/November of '10 I seemed to get a hemorrhoid. After a few weeks of a high fiber low intake diet, the flaring seemed to die down, but it resulted in an anal skintag buried within the anus itself (not exposed). Whenever I went to the bathroom, there would always be a splotch of blood while cleaning myself, but only one small splotch. Nevertheless it was often followed by a very uncomfortable sensation between pain and itching. I went to my doctor, she sent me somewhere else, I was told what I had was an anal skin tag and I didn't HAVE to have it removed, but after nearly a year of it I couldn't stand it anymore.

I had the tag surgically removed 6 days ago, it was stitched up but I didn't get to talk to my doctor upon waking up from the anesthetic. There was some pretty bad pain when I moved or tried to add bacitracin (as recommended) to the wound. I can feel the stitches are still there, but the pain is MOSTLY gone. Thing is I can feel some pretty bad swelling in there now, which I don't know if that's supposed to be like that from the stitches or the healing process or, whatever it is.

Any possible idea as to when the stitches might fall out or dissolve, or if this swelling is normal?
Well I am in the uk and on my 6th day of recovery after having 3 skin tags removed. I think if I'd come on this forum beforehand I would never have had them done! The thought of the op creating more skin tags scare me to death. My doc gave me no advice before the op about how bad the pain would be and also no advice really on coming home from the hospital, just to take regular pain killers and keep an eye on any bad bleeding. I had a general aneasthetic to have mine removed as I also had banding on internal haemorroids. On the first day I felt a little sore and the second day after my first BM I was fine and even got up and about doing some housework. from this day forward I have never experienced pain like it. After having a BM its the worst pain ever on a scale of 1 - 10, i'd say 10! and I have had two children, one natural and one C section. It nearly makes me pass out and also makes me feel sick. I have to leave the bathroom and throw myself on the floor and pant through the pain which takes about ten minutes to subside. I thought this pain was due to the rubber banding until I read earlier posts on this forum explaining the same pain from the tag removal. Since then I had been taking regular Lactulose, lots of fluid and eating veg soup only. Still the same pain but hopefully will improve in the next couple of days :) There are very mixed results on here as to how long it takes to heal and feel better
.
Today I discovered that after a BM stay sat on the loo and have at the ready a sponge dipped in really warm water which you can then press on the area, this helps a little more than getting straight off the loo. It also helps to takes 2/3 bath/showers a day to keep the area clean and then dry with a hairdryer.
I haven't looked at the area yet as I'm too scared and don't want to send myself into complete panic. Think I'll leave it until it feels at least neary normal again.
I have no creams or bath salts as I'm unsure if any of it helps? any advice would be great.

On the down side, I would have really thought twice about the op if I knew it would be this painful, on the upside, hopefully I'll have no tags and have a normal bottom! :)
Here's to pain free, tag free butts :)
Has anyone had a skin tag thta changes into a hemroid? it seems that is my problem and it's is affecting my life really badly.
Wow - I'm really glad I didn't read this thread before my surgery or I probably would have had too much anxiety to go and get this taken care of!

I offer this post to those out there living with skin tags and fissures - GET IT TAKEN CARE OF!

The alternative is much worse. It saddens me to think of all the people who will end up living with a painful and embarrassing condition like this for the rest of their lives. It affects you psychologically, physically, and emotionally every single day. It doesn't need to be like this and I hope after you reading this you will have the balls to do something about it.

About 2 years ago I had a really bad hemmorhoid (I believe) that ended up creating a fissure and ultimately an unpleasant pea size 'skin tag'. I was horrified - and in denial about having to live with it. It was a year before I brought myself to have something done about it... a year of bleeding, painful bowel movements, uncomfortable chairs, sitting for long periods of time, and of course anxiety in sexual situations. I was extremely embarrassed when someone asked me about it and I had to explain that I in fact did NOT have anal warts!! LOL.

I saw my Doctor and got a referral to a colorectal clinic downtown. The doctor I saw was kind of a **** and pretty much openly accused me of being 'roughed up' down there by a sexual partner - I could tell he didn't believe me when I said that wasn't true - but whatever, I was there for a reason. He took a look and sent me home with a prescription for an ointment. I should never have settled for that! You shouldn't either an ointment isn't going to make a skin tag go away and rarely will it alone heal a fissure. I made another appointment a few months later for a nother procedure he had mentioned which was a lateral sphincterotomy. Basically they make a cut in your sphincter muscle (essentially another fissure!) to increase blood flow and loosen the muscle to promote healing of the original fissure.

I was nervous for this surgery and thought he would also remove the skin tag while he was at it. Nope. So I still had the skin tag on my mind at all times (pretty hard not to!) and of course the sphincterotomy ended up doing nothing but cause more pain and a LOT more blood. I felt strongly that the fissure and tag were related and had my last appointment Jan 9th 2011, a year from the first procedure and a year and 3 months since being given an ointment.

Fortunately the Doctor I had been seeing had a hip replacement and was suddenly only performing colonoscopy's. I felt a slight glimmer of hope when I heard this news and booked an appointment with a doctor the secretary recommended as another option. Sweet, maybe this one won't be such a jerk and we'll get this taken care of nice and quick.

Well, after I told him my problem I found myself once again in 'that position' with the doctor ready to remove the pest I had been carrying around for 2 years. I was so happy I barely felt the ***** of the freezing needle. I didn't feel him cut off the tag and only felt a little discomfort when it was being cauterized. I'm very glad it was cauterized instead of stitched up - I believe this greatly reduces the chance of infection in a place that is inherently difficult to keep clean.

So, today is day 6 since my surgery. Some blood when I went to the bathroom for the first time but not since then. The wound is still weeping so I'm either constantly changing a cotton ball or folded up piece of toilet paper. I shower after every time I go to the bathroom and keep the whole area clean and dry. It requires some extra effort to keep clean but trust me it is worth it. Pain does come and go but usually disappears after 'freshening up'. Cleaning the fissure is also part of recovering! I can't stress enough how important proper cleaning is - but do this without causing irritation... find a happy medium. It should hurt a little when you clean it but make sure you aren't causing additional damage.

Today (Day 6) I found the wound to be weeping half as much as the first few days and there is no swelling at all, just a little tenderness.Polysporin with pain-relief helps but try not to use it too much, the idea is to keep it dry when possible. I am so happy I finally have a normal bum again. I find myself walking down the street wanting to show people!!! If you are reading this and are suffering from skin tags from a fissure just GO GET IT TAKEN CARE OF! You do not have to live like this forever and have little to fear from the surgery AND A WHOLE SEX LIFE TO GAIN!!! WOOT!
Does you anus look normal now? I pretty much have the same problems, although i do have a lot of anal tags... after reading these posts i am petrified to even consider surgery, but i am so depressed i just want a normal bum again!!!! please let me know if you truly look normal down there...thanks...
i had an anal tag removed about 5 mths ago. It was a free (hooray for Australian health care system) day procedure performed under general anaestetic (sp?). I felt a little pain for the following 2 or 3 weeks but the pain killers they gave me helped ease it. I still get occasional bleeding (when I wipe) & soreness but am told at follow up checks this is not uncommon - being such a sensitive & often used site, the cut can take a while to heal properly. When I feel sore I smear on a little baby rash balm & pop an advil or neurofen. I recommend having tags removed
Hi, I had two skin tags removed 6 days ago after it hugely effected my self as teem in the bedroom. I've had 3 kids. All normal delivery but with 2 I heammoraged very badly and with 1 I ended up in intensive care so I thought this surgery would be a walk in the park & I'll be up and running by day 2...WRONG!! After surgery I was a bit uncomfortable but I expected that. I didnt expect to be bleeding as much as I do now as I did on day 1! Very sore and swollen and I mostly hav to lie down. BM very painful and I soak in a warm bath after and dry the area. I bleed through sanitary pads and my underpants..I was told by the doctor today that they also had to cut into the normal rectal area and that this takes longer to heal and will bleed longer. It looks better now the skin tags are gone, but it now looks like I've got piles!! I really hope this swelling will go down too but I will keep you posted if they will. My husband was never bothered about the skin tags..and if I knew all this I would have thought twice about the op. I wish I was informed better. No creams are adviced, warm baths in salt water and keep your stools soft by drinking plenty of water and taking fibre gel drinks. Tody I've been told not to lift or bend down, hoover and delegate the housework. Hope you heal up and I hope I won't be left with piles!
Just wondering what happened to you since your post, I just had hemmorid surgery and am left with skintags, so ugly.
My skin tag op recovery diary

When I was recovering from my anal skin tags removal operation I found so many comments about how awful their experience was that I got really scared. Now that I am fully recovered, I wanted to share my recovery diary to show that it is not always so bad. I had 3 tags removed.

Day 1-2: Mobile, only slightly sore
Appearance red and swollen

Day 3-6: Extremely painful, only comfortable lying down, bowel movements increasingly painful with bleeding
Appearance less red, less swollen, but still has appearance of large skin tags. So worried I rang GP, who says swelling is how the body heals and there are a lot of blood vessels in that area.
GP prescribed local anaesthetic gel & more antibiotics

Day 7: Suddenly a lot less painful! Can walk downstairs without wincing. Bowel movements still v sore but huge leap forward today.
Still feels hard not soft, total recovery a while off.

Day 8: First day without pain relief. Site seems a little pus-y but on secondary antibiotics so hopefully will get zapped. Several of the swellings gone down, only one large one left.

Day 13: Very itchy yesterday, better today. Only a little sore, more uncomfortable than painful One large swelling, open looking cut and 3 small swellings Looks much better but a long way from smooth Still some pus.

Day 19: finally looking smoother. Red open cut on one side and one small swelling remain Still some pus No more pain, occasional v slight discomfort

Day 28: Four weeks to the day and totally healed No more swelling or skin tags Hooray!  
Huge help thank you!!!! I'm on the same proces and now in the itching and some puss stage....(day 17) and still a bit weeping. Bowel movement a nightmare..so constipated and bleeding afterwards. (constipated is new to me because I suffer from Ulcerative collitis and take medication because I suffer 4 years from diarrhoea...I could REALLY do with that for once!!!!) Anyway....I hope I can say in 2 weeks I'm totally cleared up too. Many thanks!
So did your lump go away? How long did it take?
Does your bum look normal now? How big was your tag? I'm 6 weeks post op and have 2 lumps leftover ( had one skin tag the size of a tic tac) and am wondering if these will go down? The CRS said I'm delicate and may take a little while to shrink. Everyone seems to talk about the pain and not the end result of this surgery- like how the bum looks after!
I want to share my experience as well, since most of the posts are negative and people complaining about after suregery pain.

Not a lot of you shared your age, which i think is an important factor when it comes to recovery after surgery. I'm 24 and i had a fairly big skin tag, about 1cm big piece of skin. I didn't hurt, bleed or anyting. It was just not a pretty sight, and i had problems relxing during sex cuz i thought that the guys would find it disgusting. And also not very hygenic either..

So after a couple of years having the thing i decided to go to my family doctor, who sent me to a rectal surgeon for a check-up. She told me it's only a fairly big skin tag (no cancer or other stuff) and that my insurance would cover the surgery. She scheduled a surgery a month after the first check-up. I decided for a  local anesthetic, meaning injections directly into my bu*t. They told me to eat light food and a lot of fluid the week before surgery. The surgery itslef took about 15minutes. I don't remember which technique she used, but it was either laser or some kind of saw, because it souded like she is burning the skin tag of. She was definately not cutting it off. She also found a small internal hemi, which she removed as well. It didn't hurt, a bit unpleasant though. She didn't use stiches, she said it would heal nicer and no fissures would develop.

They kept me in the hospital for a couple of hours, i was feeling good, not in pain, just discomfort. They gave me prescription for pain killers, told me to eat light food, a lot of (fizzy mineral) water to keep the stool soft, and told me to go to the toilet regulary because it would be more and more difficult to poop if i became constipated. And the thing they told me to do a lot, which no one above wrote. ICE COMPRESSION!!!! Crush a couple of ice cubes, wrap it into a gauze, and put it between your butt cheeks. IT HELPS THE SWELLING GO DOWN --> THE PAIN GOES DOWN SUBSEQUENTLY. Ask you surgeon about this..

It has been a week after my surgery and i'm in no pain,  abit of discharge so i waer panty liner. When i feel i have to go to the toilet, it stings a bit, i take a pain killer, go to the bathroom, wash my as** hole with warm water and then cool it down with very cold water, and then put the ice compression on.

So far i am not sorry for having the surgey. I feel like a normal woman now, and most importantly sexy and confident.

I have an after surgery check-up in two days, i'll keep you posted.
ok, so a month after the surgery I feel great! still a bit of discharge, some stinging pain and a drop or two of blood if I become constipated. so i do evertything to keep my stool soft. i don't need pain killers or ice compressions anymore.
i still have an open wound about 1/2 cm big, but it is healing so nicely.. i looked at my bu*t today after two weeks and i almost cried, because it looks so good and i don't have the disgusting tag anymore. i'm really happy, i feel confident and normal.
Thank you for sharing your story!

I've developed a skin tag quite recently and it is large as you described yours. I told my Dr that I wanted it removed and she shrugged it off. I will be going back and telling her I DEFINITELY want it removed - its annoyed me to my limit already! I felt uncomfortable enough showing it to her, then to be told to live with it... I don't think so!!

Your story has made me feel brave enough to try. I am also now well informed that there are risks but I think I'll take my chances - I'm young and tough.

Thanks again and best of luck to you in the future! :)
Im having the procedure done tomorrow after postponing it 4 times and I'm petrified :(  I have a large skin tag (which looks like a tongue and is so embarrasing with internal & external hemmoroids .... I'm not sure how they r going to do the procedure but since I have low pain tolerance I'm hoping they will somehow sedate me. Not sure why they r doing it at a clinic vs a hospital... I wish there was a support system to help those like myself through this...
I just had the surgery.  I went under anesthetic so I was asleep for the whole thing which took about 15 minutes.
Today is day 2 after the surgery. I had two skin tags and one is pretty much all gone and I am happy with and the other still seems to be there.  The first one was there and went down to nothing so I'm hoping this other one does the same. I'm not sure if it's fluid and will go away or what but if it doesn't I will be requesting to get it removed properly!
As for the recovery,  I am in no pain,  I haven't had to take any painkillers.  I struggle with constipation so I had an outrageous amount of fibre the 1st day which helped when I had a bm (no pain at all)  but I suffered extreme cramps,  worse then birth so don't OVER DO the fibre like me :)
Oh there's a little bit of drainage and a spot of blood but nothing really,  I wear a pad for that just to monitor it.
If the second tag goes away like the first (which I'm hopeful it does)  I'd highly recommend surgery.  Pain wise it doesn't hurt at all and as I said I'm happy to go back if the second one didn't work properly.
It also cost me nothing as I am on a pension card.
Hope this helps and if anyone knows if this second one will go down,  if it's just swelling or full of fluid or whatever please let me know because my followup appointment isn't for two weeks :(
Hi, I am looking at having a small skin tag removed but saw the CRS today who said she would not recommend it as I will likely get a skin tag the same size due to inflamation from the surgery. She said she would go ahead with it if I wanted but that only around 20% os people heal back to normal. Can you tell me if when yours finished healing it was smooth (like it's original state) or whether there was risidual skin tag/scar tissue? Thank you
Katie...

I had my anal tag removed 5 weeks ago and knock on wood, I can't be more  pleased. The complete recovery takes 3 to 6 months, because the location of  surgery. The first couple weeks after the surgery is difficult but not to bad. Must keep the stool soft so that you don't irritate it.

After surgery the area will look worst than before but don't be alarmed, it will get better day after day. So, I do recommend to do the surgery, but you have to be patient and follow the post surgery steps.

I hope this helps.
I have had skin tags removed a week ago , and I had been told how painful it was to have a BM I wouldn't of had it done , and never again will I . Worst pain ever and no after care , plus now trying to heal infection :( misserable want to get back to my old self , supposed to go back to work in a days time no chance have to get in bath after every BM pain releaf Arrrrrr
I have been seen for internal and external hemorrhoid a and have spoken to at least 5 doctors about them. No help! I had one so painful and thrombosed that I ended up having to lance it myself!!! Can you believe that? No doctor would help me and I had excellent healthcare at the time!  Now I still have a huge external anal skin tag. It's always there, sometimes swells like a heme rood and it makes it very hard to keep clean down there. This sounds awful but sometimes I even shart!!! Still no one will help me!!  I'm Furious!  My dad called up and had his hemorrhoid taken care of the next day. Why won't they help me????? I feel like finding some injectable lidocaine and doing the damn procedure myself. Heck I successfully got rid of the last one! Damn doctors!!!! I'd like to have a nice clean, round ******* for once!!
Hi, your doctor sounds a disgrace and i recommend you seek a second opinion from someone else. I had three skin tags and they bothered me hugely physically and mentally. Having ulcerative colitis doesn't help  the situation either. They all developed after childbirth of three children. No hesitation of my surgeon he removed whatever he could under general anaesthetic. I was out of hospital after 12 hours and then the pain started. The first bowel movement was like giving birth again. No wiping but shower heads. No sitting down. The pain was awful and the healing took me a good 4 weeks. This was done 2 years ago and I still think it was the eat things I've done. I still have a tiny tag...but it's so much better then what it was and I feel "normal" again!!! When things effect you emotionally and stop you from the person you would like to be I would always recommend to follow your heart and do something about it. The pain in my case was all worth it! Tine
I just had my surgery yesterday and had three skin tags removed. My surgeon put me to sleep and it took 20 min and he cut them off no stitches. He does not recommend stitches. I got pain meds and came home but had no pain at all. I took off the bandage and was so happy with the results already. The skin tags all gone no swelling that night I did have some pain because I could not take the pain meds they made me sick. Just put ice on it and today just payed in bed not much pain at all. So far it's been a great experience. I read all the horror stories and almost didn't do it but so happy I did!!
Hi, five days ago I had two skin tags removed from my anal area. The pain hasn't been bad at all, I didn't even take any of the prescribed painkillers. After a bowel movement on the third day, the stitches on one of them appear to have come undone/loosed considerably. Upon a closer look, when spreading the area it looks like a slit, almost like a fissure except it's completely on the outside. When left alone the skin is a least close together even without the stitches. It doesn't bleed much, just a bit spotty after bowel movements, which have been gradually getting easier/less painful as I heal. It does sting considerably though.

I've been applying bacitracin, eating fiber, drinking water and taking sitz baths, which seem to help. I am extremely worried, however, that the area won't heal properly. Since it looks like a fissure, I'm worried that another skin tag will form in place of the wound, which would defeat the whole purpose of the surgery in the first place.

For those who've gone through with this, will this heal properly as it is?
I had to call a collerectal surgeon and skipped the referal part. the receptiinist at their office allowed that . She just entered my primary doctors name into my file. i had been getting ignored by doctors for years but when collerectal  doctor saw it he said i had big hemroids with fissures and needed surgery. Big difference right? Let the doctor know you need a referal how bad and how management is not working.or just skip the middle man.
Hey just though I would add in my experience. I had 3 tags about the size of tick tacs,I hated them they had to go, so I went to see a "specialist" who said he would not remove them because they would come back worse and more of them, i was gutted and 360 out of pocket, I gave it a few weeks and started reading threads like this with horror stories about it being a complete mess but these were from people who literally just had it done and i found hardly any follow ups for the end results so.............

I went to a clinic which was a cosmetic surgery clinic the lady was so nice she explained that she had not done so much of the sugary but had only 1 case of them coming back after a yr, she told me about the pain and recovery time, she explained it would be months for it to get right.

The day of surgery was ok the needle was painful but after they it was ok she cut them off and showed me them because she told me that it would look horrific and look like she hadn't cut them off so there they were cut off. The next few days were ok nothing to bad definite discomfort when using the toilet but ok, now after 3 or 4 days IT HURT LIKE HELL seriously I had to leave work it was so bad that I rand her and she told me that this was normal, I had about 1 maybe 2 weeks of pretty bad pain but all this time I could see it getting better, after this was just straight up healing, after 1 month i was so happy with the results that it could have just stayed like that, after 2 months its just like a scar sort of look, its now 4 months and it almost looks like a perfect hole haha, I'm guessing it won't truly be perfect but I'm so glad I did this.

it cost $1300 and she used a laser, I would not advise the tie off as it seems the worst method from what I have read.
I feel like I just have to post my experience! I am a 25 yo female that suffered from what I thought was a persistent, external hemorrhoid, for 9 years. Mostly no pain from this, just irritating and some embarrassment! A couple weeks ago I was in excruciating pain as I was constipated and the "hemorrhoid" developed an open sore that was very uncomfortable. So, I ended up making an appointment with the colorectal surgeon. After she examined me (which didn't even end up being THAT embarrassing), she told me that this was actually a residual skin tag, and she could easily remove that in the office. I let her know that I even had to return to work that day, and she thought with Tylenol that I should be okay. From what I have read on this website and others, I was TERRIFIED that I was going to be in excruciating pain that would not go away, and that bowel movements would feel like expelling razors. I had by that point worked myself up so much, I was preparing for the worst! My experience, however, was TOTALLY different, and thats why I felt compelled to share. When I was in the office, the procedure took all of 7 minutes, and the lidocaine shot was NOT that bad. It stung, but again, not terrible! I never felt a thing, didn't even realize it was over! This skin tag was LARGE, too, about the size of the tip of my pointer finger! I never experienced any bleeding after the initial bleeding, post-surgery. While my butt was sore, it was not unbearable, and I found with Tylenol that it was manageable. I was glad to take the Tylenol as I've been told that other medications can constipate you. I even worked that day, and the rest of the week without incident. I found that it hurt more when I was sitting at home "resting" because I was thinking about it more frequently than when I was distracted at work! Overall, my pain may have been a 4-5 at its very worst. My bowel movements were also a PIECE of cake. I was sure to eat lots of veggies and drink smoothies, and I also took Miralaax every day to keep my stools soft. That is VERY important. You don't want them hard (its painful) or runny (thats painful, too!). Yesterday was one week post my procedure and I am completely without pain and discomfort. I am SO glad that I had it done, I can go back to normal and not ever have to be embarrassed by it again. I hope this helps others be brave!
What kind of doctor did this procedure for you?
Anybody here did their surgery in Canada? i am from Toronto and my family doctor would not do it for me, and saying it might cause more trouble after, but my anal skin tag really bothers me, can someone tell me where should i go to find a surgeon who is willing to do this kind of surgery in Toronto? many thanks
Dr. Luke Bui, google it, the clinic is at Yonge/Majormac.
I have a few skin tags after a bad time with hemorrhoids. I am gay and this has affected my relationship considerably. Am not sure the next step. In Toronto. Can u suggest an action plan and whether the doctor will remove or can refer me to a specialist? Have spoken to him before and he said it was not a concern. He does not know I am gay.
Those of you who suffered with these skin tags, did they itch and burn when sitting? Did your bottom feel like it was always contracting? I feel like my anus is always open slightly, like a squidgy sensation when sitting down. I feel like i’m always unclean down there and also notice strange odors. At first I thought this was caused by hemorrhoids, but after getting a colonoscopy, the surgeon said they were so small that it shouldn’t be causing me any trouble. They said I have skin tags, and i’m wondering if that is what is causing my above issues.

Is the procedure to remove them expensive? I’ve been told it won’t be covered by insurance, so has anyone had to pay out of pocket?
To all of you on here that had an anal skin tag removed, how are you doing today?  Did your anus heal up completely, or do you wish you never had the surgery?  I have one that I need to get removed (had all my life it seems like) but after reading all of these horror stories, I am freaking out.  I want this thing GONE, so am thinking of just sucking it up and doing it.  I just want my anus to look normal after the healing process.  Is your anus back to normal and smooth?  I have a colorectal surgeon who said he would do it, I just need to schedule the appointment.  He said he would numb the area, snip it off and then cauterize it.  Oh, and how do you people get off from work for so long?  And what do you tell your boss??? That you are having an anal procedure done?  LOL!
I have had skin tags for almost 2 years. To be exact they were very small ones then about 3 weeks ago another one came out and was even larger. I got tired of it and finally told my Medical DR. I needed to have it removed at my local Hospital. To my surprise the Dr. That I was refered to said I should not have it removed. Believe me I should have listened to him, but I told him it was a bit uncomfortable. And after having a BM I would always have to shower. After my surgery my first couple of days  my BM was fine I had soft BM and there was a little blood that kind of made me a little scared but eventually stoped. There is swelling and redness in that area but that is normal.Today it's my 6 day and have been in lots of pain after having a normal BM. The first couple of days were fine I took Aleve and ate alot of soup. But started on solid foods and what a big mistake. I have only been using liquids now and will for a while.                          
Im in NZ  and really want to get surgery too. Do you have to get referred from your doctor first?? And is it my choice or do they decide?? Thanks for the info...
I posted more fully in the other post in this forum on this topic. But longer story short, I had a med-largish skin tag removed. (Saw it inadvertently after, and it was about 1.25 inches by .5 inches for comparison.) The surgeon said it was a common procedure. Had it via local, lidocaine shot, which wasn't bad. A slight sting was all. She spent some time making sure it would heal well, cosmetically speaking (since honestly, that's why most of us are putting ourselves through this.)

Day one was slightly painful, but took the prescription meds and slept all day. Woke up feeling fine, walking around was no problem. Sitting is uncomfortable, but laying down is fine and barely feel it. Only took Tylenol today.

Have not had the joy of a BM yet, but eating tons of fiber and using stool softeners to combat the three does of Vicodin I took yesterday. So that'll be the next step to see how it all goes.

All in all, though, way easier than most of the stories on here. Those were stressful to read and I was prepared for the absolute worst, but thankfully it's been totally manageable so far. Just a head's up to everyone - it may not be that bad for you. I'm assuming it's a combo of your natural pain tolerance, age, health/fitness and surgeon.
Quick update - did have first BM and it was fine. Stung a bit after (not during) and 10 minutes later all back to normal. Did take stool softeners and ate a ton of fiber, which I guess helped. So, with that part over, now just waiting to see the results, which based on other commenters, will start looking good and back to pre-skin tag normal in about 4 weeks!
Follow-up 1 week and 1 day later. Healing nicely. I did have some pain the few days after my original post, but took vidodin (with the stool softeners) and all was well. I wasn't able to go back to work the Monday after. I probably could have on Tuesday, but was glad to have the extra day. Went back on Wed and was fine. Not so swollen now though there IS a smell and it's not the totally healed up yet and I still need to wear a thin pad. So far, glad I did it. It was 4-5 days of inconvenience to have things normal looking back there.