post hemorrhoid skin tag surgery

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

post hemorrhoid skin tag surgery

After child birth I have a developed a skin tag at the opening of rectum from pushing and straining to push out my baby. Yes, it is called a skin tag - bigger ones are called hemorrhoids. So, essentially, this is a "post hemorrhoid" condition. The appearing of my skin tag is small, nontheless unsightly and somewhat bothersome when cleaning after a bowel movement. And I would like to have it surgically removed as I do not know of anything else that can be done to remove it.

Please describe in detail the type of surgery that would be involved to have it removed. How is pain level? I heard it was excruciating. How long is the recovery period?

If "hotnewfilm" is reading this, please let me know what kind of surgery you did to have your skin tag removed as I have read your question in this forum under the category "Skin Tag or Scar Tissue". Also, did you ever get your "scar tissue" removed as well? Did you find out what it was?
Viewing 1-200 comments:
my sister had this done,and her explanation of the events was humiliating and painful. She said they have to put you in this chair where your rear end goes up in the air and your head goes toward the ground. Her first instinct was to bust out laughing and she said the doctor and nurses looked at her like she was crazy.
Small bands (kinda like rubber bands) are placed on the hemmhroids and left there...where as the hemmhroids are supposed to drain/fall off on their own after. She said her pain lasted at least 3 weeks.She was prescribed some fairly good medication for it though (percocets) and was much happier after without the embarrassement of having the hemmhroids there. Hope this helps ya!
Thank you for the information. Your sister sounds like she had internal hemorrhoids. I have that as well but it was too soon for the doctor to put bands on them, as he wanted them to "settle" first (just had baby 2 months ago).

The procedure I would like to learn about is for skin tag removal although my doctor said to just leave it and live with it since the pain is so excruciating that he would not want me to go through it. I just want to know from people who had this done and to learn just how extreme the pain is to remove a post hemorrhoid skin tag.

I believe I'll be getting the banding done in 6 months upon my return visit appointment with the doctor.
I havent heard of a hemmheriod skin tage before.I have known other people with regular skin tags that looked like moles that had them removed. They didnt say it much.I guess if it's in the anal area it may be a bit more painful though.
I have a rectal skin tag as well. It is a piece of skin on the outside of the anus. It has been getting increasingly
uncomfortable,esp when I wear pants & esp. jeans. The seam rubs & irritates the skin tag which in turn then feels raw & irritated. At times, I have placed a large piece of cotton ball  arpund the skin to 'buffer' it.
Very uncomforatble ...!
I have seen one general surgeon who said to avoid any surgery until absolutely necessary b/c it was extremely painful.
I have an appt with a colorectal specialist surgeon, & hopefully he will be able to offer relief for me.
I would love to hear from anyone who can relate to this situation ..
Chris
I had a perianal skin tag that drove me nuts my whole life but I don't know where it came from or whether it was left over from a hemorrhoid or not as I've only had 1 that I can remember in my life and I'm 35.  Anyway, it was not itchy or swollen or hard to clean or anything, it just bothered me cosmetically so I opted to have it removed.  Here's the problem:  the stitches busted open 1 week & 2 days later gushing blood and my doctor said not to worry it would heal on its own and to wait for my 5 week follow-up.  Well, as the general swelling subsided a bit, I was left with an open gash from the incision and the area that was stitched became more pronounced and I was left with hard lumps of skin and a divider in between each hard lump where each stitch was.  So, it's like open gash and on the side of the gash is bump, dip, bump, dip, bump, dip.  At the 5 week my Dr. was surprised but said my body simply did not like the stitches and had became irritated so he burned the OPEN gash and lumpy stitch area which was of no use at all.  Just made it green and disgusting for a few days.  I had my 7 week follow-up last Wednesday and he says I can do one of two things.  He can now cut off the pronounced bumps and leave the new wounds open to heal on their own or I can just wait it out for those areas to go back to normal which could be anywhere from 3 months to a year!!!  I am so upset about this.  I was told at the beginning that it would take about 2 weeks to heal then later he said it would really be 6 to 8 weeks to be completely smooth and now I'm at almost 8 weeks and I have a healing gash and obvious bumps of skin.  My boyfriend has no idea I did this as I told him very vaguely that I was having a minor surgery and I didn't want to talk about it much.  For a couple who is very sexually active, I thought 2 weeks was going to be rough to explain but this is ridiculous and now I'm intimidated to have sex for fear that a hand will drift here or there and feel something bizarre "down there".  My doctor prescribed a STEROID CREAM which (with no insurance) would cost $60 per ounce and he prescribed 2 ounces.  I can't afford it.  He said the steroid cream would soften the skin.  Is there anything else I can do to speed this up?  I am so confused and feel like I'm never going to heal.  I'm using vaseline every day but I don't know if that's helping.  Should I let it dry out?  Does it need to be kept moist?  Is there some sort of over the counter product that will help these hard bumps to just cool down and shrink?  HELP PLEASE!
Hi all,

I too have been living (suffering) with an anal skin tag for the last year and a half.  I finally broke down this fall and made an appointment to see the gastroenterologist (sp?) to see if I could get it taken care of.  I had read online that using laser treatment to remove it was probably the easiest procedure as it keeps the bleeding to a minimum and healing is relatively quick.  However, once I saw the doctor she told me that unless it was really large, swollen, painful and otherwise causing additional medical problems it wasn't big enough for her to recommend that it be removed.

Now to me it is big, it gets in the way, it's hard to keep clean or at least feel like you are clean, it can be painful and gets irritated very easily.  Not to mention it had really begun to affect my sex life because mentally I'm always extremely self-concious of it and embarassed to death with my husband and that he is going to touch it or feel it.  I know I shouldn't be that way with my husband, but I just am.  The doctor told me that if I wanted to have it removed it would be considered a "cosmetic" procedure and therefore not covered by insurance, which means I can't afford it.  My response to her was "so I'm just supposed to live with this the rest of my life?" and basically she said yes, unless it gets worse (or I win the lottery).

I'm constantly searching the web to see is there some at-home treatment that would remove it or at the very least help shrink it.  If anyone has any ideas or thoughts please post here.  I know there are tons of worse things that could happen to me, but everyone who has one knows what a terrible thing this is to live with if you have it.

Thanks.

Hi..I just wanted to respond to questions about anal tag/removal surgery.  Like others on the site I developed one after the birth of my daughter.  It was the strangest thing..it just showed up one day, painless but awkward.  It took me years to go to the doctor because although it was uncomfortable, it didn't really affect the quality of my life.  Then one day I just decided to have it removed because it began to bother me with going to the bathroom/wiping/cleanliness etc.  Roughly one week ago I had the surgery and I am still swollen but recuperating.  I just want to say that although the procedure was uncomfortable it was not excrutiating.  The worst part is when they inject the lidocaine (numbing agent) into the area.  It does sting quite a bit but soon goes away due to the lidocaine.  Although I was given two prescriptions...one for swelling and the other for pain, I have yet to use the painkillers.  I just didn't need them.  Sure it hurts sometimes when I sit on my botton but I am still healing.  I take two baths a day for comfort and I have been wearing a pad for the discharge (which is common).  I feel that it is worth it and I am hoping that the area heals nicely.  I hope this helps.
I also have been bothered for years with tags(since the birth of my daughter). I understand about the embarrassment during sex.  I have debated about getting the surgery, who does it?  How long is the recovery, do they return? I think I have finally decided to get it done but where do you start?

The best place to start is with a colon/rectal surgeon.  Talk to your primary care and get a referral for a good specialist in your area.  When you meet with the doctor he will talk to you, then examine you to view the skin tag.  Although some doctors are reluctant to remove skin tags because they are painless, some doctors recognize that they interfere with hygiene and are not aesthetically pleasing.  My recovery time has been great.  The swelling and discharge lasted for roughly one week...it is still a little swollen but my husband says it is looking better and better every day...almost "normal", which is great since it has only been a few weeks.  If it bothers you, talk to a surgeon and get his recommendation.
Hi there, anal skin tags.. I know they suck and are really emabarrassing, I unfortunately have them and they are really inconvenient.. however, what size generally percieved as a problem anal skin tag.. they seem to feel huge when they are only centimetres in size.. what size is a problem for you guys.. cos it's difficult to know what size a gp(doctor) is going to think warrants removal...

Also I heard diathermy is a good easy way to reove them, anyone have any opinions on that?
Sandcalh... did you have them removed with laser or the regular cut/stiches operation???  Also, how are you doing now???
Yes - I'm curious what type of surgery you had too.  I heard that having laser surgery is a lot easier to recover from than regular surgery.

My main concern in doing that is because the gastro doctor said in my case it would be considered cosmetic surgery at this point (doctor code for "not covered by insurance", how much does surgery like that cost if you don't mind me asking.

I'm still at a stand still, I'm wondering if anyone had any luck with any types of alternative or natural treatments?
Has anyone heard about having them tied off with cotton so the blood supply gets cut off and then they "drop" off?
I feel all your pain. I too had a skin tag in the perianal area for years and decided to get them removed through surgery. The surgery was okay since I was knocked out. However, the recovery was not good. It hurts to sit and take a bowel. By the way, if you are doing a surgery, I suggest you take plenty of stool softener because the first bowel movement after the surgery hurts so bad especially when you just get out of the surgery and don't feel like eating for a day since you are often drugged out. Major constipation on the first bowel which brings up the issue of having one of my stitched parts to break which is now a lump of hard skin tag.. I think they referred it as a papilla? Then get this... I grew another skin tag on the other side! I was so mad! Not only did I try to get my only one skin tag removed... now I had the split stitch skin tag and another one! I was better off not having it done at all! It took 3 weeks of knife stabbing feeling and bleeding whenever I used the bathroom. This was not what I expected at all. I ended up having an anal fissure which I never had in the first place prior to the surgery. Now the anal fissure is gone. I seeked a surgical specialist and he said that he doesn't recommend removing it since it is not life threatening.  I commented that these skin tags will get larger over time, and he said possibly yes. I am so irritated with this because it gets inflamed when I go to the restrooms sometimes. It is just there hanging and annoying as hell! I searched through the website and found amoil.com which promises these natural oils to get rid of the anal skin tag. The only problem for me is that these caused major burning and itching when I apply it on my tags. It is suppose to take 2 to 6 weeks to heal with applications 3x. But I cannot seem to go a week since the oil is giving me major irritation in the tags. I am not sure if others vary in reaction but I would like to get a tip if anyone find a way to get rid of this without having a surgery. Though I am tempted to want to do it again because I really want to get rid of these. I most probably won't get it stitched though as this has caused me to have issues with breaking while having bowel movements during recovery. Let me know if anyone finds a treatment to get rid of these tags. thanks!
Hi there,
Man, it sure makes me feel better that I'm not the only one dealing with this problem. I'm a young woman and have skin tags, 2 of them!! I recently went to the colon-rectal surgeon and she told me that I had 2 anal fissures and prescribed nepedephine and a hydrocortisone cream. Nepedephine is also a cream. After using both medications and watching what I eat (lots of fruits/veggies, water, fiber), the fissures started to heal pretty quick and the pain was gone. Well, I still had the skin tags and decided to get them removed. I went for a follow up visit with the doctor 2 days ago and got one of them removed. The whole procedure lasted about 2 mins and it was only briefly painful when getting anastesia. The doctor said that I would feel extreme pain after anastesia wears off and prescribed pain meds. However, after several hours, I did not feel as much pain as I thought I would. It's my 2nd day, I'm still healing, but I haven't touched the pain meds. It almost doesn't hurt at all when sitting, only a little when getting up. Also, the doc told me to use lots of over-the-counter hydrocortisone creams to help the swelling. And it did not hurt as much when going to the bathroom #2. As long as you are not constipated, it was not bad. I don't know how long it will take for it to heal, but so far, it has not been that bad. The pain is very tolerable. It was not a laser procedure, and honestly I was so nervous that I didn't even ask how she did it. My only worry is that after going thru all this with fissures and skin tags,  I don't know what will happen when I decide to have a baby. Hopefully, they won't come back.
lai, what type of procedure did you have to get rid of the tags that lasted only 2 minutes w/a general office visit?   My doctor said the ONLY way to get rid of skin tags is a total hemorrhoidectomy, which I don't think seems neccessary given that it's only excess skin bothering me.  I'm scheduled to see her on Thurs. to discuss surgical options.  I had 3 bandings to get rid of the internals, which weren't really what was bothering me so much.  I'm young and the tags are very embarrassing.  HELP!
im not sure if what i have is a skin tag. i had my daughter 6 weeks ago and i had a really big hemroid from pushing her out and then it like almost seems like it drained and now im left with the skin but when i *poop* it bleeds and not a little drop but it soaks threw the tolet paper and is quiet uncomfortable most times it hurts when i poops i looked at it with a mirror and it loos like my doctor stitshed threw my merroid when closing my episiotomy. im going to the ob today but im a little embarrised witch is weird hes my dr and ill ask today
I posted above regarding skin tag removal... I have surgery scheduled to remove them next Wed.  Instead of the full hemorrhoidectomy,   i opted  for  simply having the tags removed, as the recovery time is  a lot faster.  If anyone has any questions, ask away...
I am having my hemmy tag removed on Monday...I am not a person that likes pain....does anyone know if I will be getting pain meds for sure?  I really don't want to have cream in that area as I sit at work and don't want it to seep through....
Your doc should've already given you a prescription to fill out beforehand... mine did, for percocet (she asked if I wanted that or Vicodin).  Make sure and ask him when you see him.
Great thank you for the information - I will let you know how it goes after Monday.
Did your doctor say how long the swelling would go down after the tag removal.  I had my done a week ago...pain free but one is still swollen (size of a pea or so).  When will this thing go away?
Anxious to know how your surgery went...
No, I don't know yet.  I'm scheduled to have the surgery tomorrow and I'm nervous as hell.  Did it hurt to have a BM afterwards?  How many tags did you have removed?  I know I have more than one.

I'll ask about the swelling.
Hi everybody,
i have the same problem, skin tags after my pregnancy. They bother me so much. I found this website I spoke to somebody in there it sound very good. It's very expensive. The whole thing is about 1,5 K. That's what they say about procedure: Our banding procedure works by cutting off the blood supply to the hemorrhoid.  This causes the hemorrhoid to shrink and fall off, typically within a day or so.  You probably won’t even notice when this happens or be able to spot the rubber band in the toilet.  Once the hemorrhoid is gone, the wound usually heals in a week or two. Does anybody know anything about this???
How much is the regular surgery?
I did not hurt except the lidocane shot (two secs) in each tag.  I had two removed.  I also had two internal hemroids removed (one at a time within a two week period) with the banding procedure from the crhcenter that oleysa5 speaks about.  The doctor that i went to was AMAZING.  NO pain.  Internal hemroid removal you obviously can't see swelling.  External skin tags, yes.  No pain with first bowel movement either.  Just want them to shrink now!!!  Has anyone out there had skin tags removed and can tell me honestly how long it takes them to shrink?????  For those that don't know, they cut the skin tag off but after it looks like a hemroid (little one) b/c of the swelling.  They are not painful but lets just say they are not pretty to look at.

P.S.  My insurance paid for everything!
The banding should be covered by your insurance, if  you have any. However, that only takes care of internal hemorrhoids, not the leftover skin tags.  You'd need those cut off and sewn.
Sorry, I forgot to ask about the swelling!  I was in such intense pain I could onnly fixate on going home and taking a percocet.
I had the banding procedure as well for my internal hemprrhoids, hoping that would shrink the tags, but it did not.  I really wasn't bothered so much by them ayway, just wanted to take care of the ugly skin  tags.  I was put under anesthesia because she said it'd be much easier than having local injected and haviing to sit still.  I  woke up in the most excruciating pain I've ever been in, and it hasn't fully stopped.  She decided too take out 2 internals as well as the tags, it turns out, saying they were super swollen.  I've been taking percocet now every 4 hrs. and find it difficult to sit.  I'm annoyed that I diidn't just have the tags  removed, as I would've been over the pain already.
In the doctor's defense, I kept saying she could take the internals out if they looked like  they'd ever prolapse.  I now have 1 internal left that I will NOT touch.  

My insurance actually paid for everything as well, w/the surgery and the banding.  I believe the tags alone would've been consiidered cosmedic but I ended up getting the whole shebang anyway.
I'm confused now. When I called the crhcenter, a lady told me that they do banding procedure on the tags as well. So, do they or don't? The center is 2 hours away from me, I don't want to go there just to hear that I need to cut the tags off. I'll call them again to make sure.
I went to the Dr thinking I had hemmoroids (hemorrhoids) but it wasn't, it was an anal skin tag.  So I set up an appt with a surgeon who suggested that it be removed because it was fairly large and was also a problem with me about not being clean!  I had the surgery 7 days ago and I am still having severe pain!  Now don't get me wrong.. I would do it over in a heartbeat, just because it looked terrible and I was also embarrassed by it when I was with my husband. But I still want everyone to know that it does hurt!!  
This was also covered by my insurance!  So before you take the Dr's word about the insurance not covering it.. check with your insurance co.  
As for the surgery, it was explained to me very well, at the Dr's office visit and before the actual surgery.  I was completly out! so I have no idea what went on in the operating room, but the Dr did tell me it was going to be cut off, stitched, but the wound would not be completely closed, so it would drain for a couple weeks or so to keep from getting infection.  I take 2 sitz baths a day then a shower (to wash my hair and just get clean, I'm not a bath person).  I take my pain meds, although they make me dizzy ( I have to cut them in half),  but I am going to stop taking the RX and start with an otc med such as Tylenol, we'll see how that works out.  
We're not sure what caused my skin tag, it only came up about a year ago and it grew to be about the size of my little finger!, and its been 25 yrs since I gave birth.  I would absolutely have it removed again if another one came up!!

Is yours still swollen?    It still looks like I have a large skin tag back there (not as bad as it was pre-surgery, but my butt is not totally nice and smooth).  I had surgery on Wed.  
i had the operation to remove piles a few months ago and apart from feeling groggy for a couple of days i was not in as much pain as i thought i would be. last tuesday i had the operation to remove the skin tags and i have been in so much pain ever since that i almost wish i had not had them removed. im on my own with 3 kids so cant even rest! i cant sit down for a long time - i have to keep lying on my side and i have never had so many baths in my life! i had 4 yesterday! only advice i can give is to keep the area dry, keep on top of your painkillers and have your first few bowel movements in the bath! extrememly painful still but i darent try having one without being in the bath now! utterly disgusting but if it helps with the pain then thats all that matters. ive been in tears every day since the last operation and keep telling myself that things can only get better (hopefully). keep taking the stool softners too but mine dont seem to have kicked in yet
the skin tags were cut off and left as an open wound. im on antibiotics as well just to prevent infection
I had only 1 BM with the help of laxatives, after 3 days, last night.  I think I busted open a stitch, so I'm terrified of going again now.  I'm taking mineral oil to help, but I think with all the painkillers I'm just so constipated.  

Are your tags completely gone?  I still have something that looks like a tag there... maybe it's just still swollen?  I'm so upset I'm going through all this and still look like I have a tag.
there is still something there! but im hoping its just swollen tissue. i think they got rid of all the skin tags. im taking fibregel and lactulose solution - the hospital gave them to me. make sure you are drinking lots of fluid! another great tip i tried today is to get a frozen ice pack, wrap it in something and apply to the area!!! i wouldnt say i am completely pain free now but the relief is amazing! dont keep using it though and make sure you wrap it in something to avoid burning yourself. i was just using an ice pack that you use to keep food cool and wrapped it in some kitchen paper though i think something better could have been used - maybe an old tea towel? i must say that my doctor had warned me that i would be in a lot of pain but i never thought it would be this bad!! keep on top of your painkillers, drink loads of fluid, have lots of baths and apply the ice pack now and then - im going to try just once a day. i really hope this helps :)
ive been to see my GP today and she says its all healing. she says to apply the ice pack every 4 hours and ive had some Xyloproct ointment to apply too. this morning i woke up with hardly any pain! but the pain has increased but is much more bearable
How are you doing now? Let us know how long it will take to recover completelly. I need to do it, but i'm so scared. I have 2 little ones too. Who want mommy all the time. How soon could you drive?
What was the xyloproct for?  I went back to my dr. today and asked about the "tag" and she said it's just swollen from surgery, and it'll take 6 weeks for my butt to look "normal" again.  She wouldn't give me any creams or anything, said I just need time to heal.  I haven't mentioned anything to my boyfriend yet... he was out of the country and just got back, but have been avoiding intimacy because of the weird look.  Ugh...
Hi... it's been a little over 2 weeks for me now and I feel almost completely fine, just look weird down there.  i still have some discharge and was told I have 2 open wounds, but it just stings a bit during BM's.  I was able to go back to the gym and weight train after about 4 days, and by the next week felt pretty much normal.  The first 2 days are the worst.  I still felt (and feel) a dull pain there but have gotten used to it and it doesn't bother me so much anymore.  

Hope this helps.
well its 3 weeks today since the surgery and there is improvement! not as much as i wouldve hoped for by this time! still burns and stings when i have a BM but its bearable and i dont have to do it in the bath anymore! the Xyloproct is a cream painkiller and i think its helping a little. I saw the doctor on friday and she says i have another pile. cannot believe it! it hurts. everything just looks a real mess down there. im on my own with 3 kids Olesaya5 and they are on school holidays now so i feel really guilty because i cannot take them anywhere or do anything with them. im supposed to be going a festival next week but if im still in pain i doubt i will be going. how many skin tags did you have removed angelv? not sure how many i had removed. dont know how you managed to go the gym!
Olesaya5, if you do have the surgery then make sure you drink loads of fluids and take fibregel and lactulose if you can. i was stupid and didnt at first because they tasted horrible. i think thats what has made me worse because i was constipated the first 2 or 3 days after and so had to strain. ill tell you in a few weeks if i think it has been worth it!
This was all very helpful.  i have had for some years now and keep doing banding and down to one I beleive on inside roids, and I have on flap hang on right of anus that i thik i will ask for removal.  What worries me is i scar bad and often stiches if that method don't stay in, esp if tryin to ****, am sure most understand. The most recent band proedure the band he had trouble getting it on, and later on that nite it came out in my bm already. SO i doubt that one was effective . Therefore I am still going to hunt fopr topical balms and mouth meds for try to.  Hemroid cream and steroid creams don't help much.  For all who have any work done or getting I wish you the best and sleep on side tag not on, the wrapped cold towel does help.  Bring inside paddin for clothes and pillow or jacket if must for butt. I have yet to change my diet or lifestyle not sure would change much.  By the whores read I don't think to remove my one is good as am sure surgeon will leave me worse off, as I heal bad, and don't want worse.  I will ask him of laser coverage though.
Have your tags shrunken yet?   I'm still waiting for this "thing" that looks like it's coming out of my butt to shrink, 3 weeks after surgery.
I'm sorry about your new pile.  I'm a bit depressed that I went through all this and still have a weird looking butt.  It's been a little over 3 weeks now and it's not smooth and normal looking like I expected... it still looks like something is coming out (like a new tag), except this time I can't push the tags in like I used to be able to do.  I get constant discharge, so I know it didn't heal correctly.  I don't go back to my dr. until 8/20 and she said last weeek that I should expect to look "weird" for a while... but I can tell that the straining must've ruined the stitches and healing process,  as   she did not do a digital exam.  Sorry to vent, just that it's affected my sex life w/my new b/f.  I am way too self conscious now.
i still feel like its burning down there a lot of the time. the new pile looks enormous and i cant push it in at all. it really looks like a right mess down there :( yesterday i had no pain at all but that was because i didnt go to the toilet! been to the toilet this morning n cant move off the bed now cos of the burning :(
I'm so sorry to hear that.  I guess I'm lucky that I feel pretty much normal now, just don't LOOK normal down there.  I'm patiently waiting to go back to my doc in 2 weeks so she could suggest a fix.
Ive had some new cream off my doctor - its called ANUGESIC HC and it does stop the burning!!!!
thank you all for your sound advice. i am a young woman in my late twenties. never had kids. but never used to drink enough water. i used to have bloody stools and did not know why. i never went to the docter because i did not have health insurance. i was always constipated maybe haveing a bm once every 3 or 4 days....months and months past and the blood was acompanied by a burning sensation when i had bm's. then after months of pain after bm's an anal skin tag emerged and the blood in my stools stopped. i am assuming the skin tag is a healed hemorroid that made its way out of my rectum. i researched online and discovered in order to prevent roids again i needed to avoid hard stools at alll cost and thus have a bm at least once a day. so i have been drking tons of water and raw fruit and veggies ever since and have not had any blood in my stools since.  it was a small tag at first but grew rather large after a year. it didn't really bother me at all at first but then after wiping and hygiene issues it started to be painful and irritating. luckily i got health insurance despite my hemmorioid history and was able to have it removed. the doctor explained it would be cauterized off, an easy procedure. i would be sore after a couple days but thats about it. well i had my surgery on thursday and did not feel a thing. i was put under local anasthetic and was laid flat on my stomack with a pillow under my stomach. i don't remember anything after that except waking up in the recovery room not feeling a thing wrong. i went home still numb and then after about an hour or two the pain set in and i took a perscribed vicatin and fell asleep. when i woke up i still felt fine. then i had to use the bathroom, bearable, just more psychological made it difficult to go. after that i had a little pain  and then the vicatin wore off and the pain got worse but not unbearable so i took half a vicatin and fell asleep again. when i awoke this morning i felt great. i took a stool softener and lots of water and had a bm but it was just a little sore. its a day after my surgery and i feel fine. just sore when i move and  after i have a bm. but not excrutiating pain at all. i am so glad i got rid of my skin tag. i think the trick is to make sure you have a bowl movement every day! i looked down there too and am just happy my tag is gone. it doesnt look as pretty as it used to but its only day 2.
after 2 weeks dr told me i had a reaction to stitches that caused some swelling.  but after he gave me a rx for a cream called analpram, most of the swelling is now gone.  i go back to dr next week so i'll let you know if there is any change.  good luck!
has anyone has experience with

amoils creme?
its listed online as a skin tag removal creme....
I had hemmorhoids cut open about 3 yrs ago and they fell off, healing nicely.  I was left, however, with a skin tag on one side.  I went to go see the col/rectal surgeon who did my hemmorrhoids orginally.  He looked at it for one second and said make an appointment to have it removed.  I asked if he recommends them to be removed and he said yes.  Theres no pain associated with it but I supposed it doesnt' help with the cleansiness issue.  Will be nice to have it smooth again.
I think what everyone who is considering having their skin tags cut off would want to know is:

Would you do it again??

Can everyone who has had them removed say whether or not the recovery is worth it and if they would do it again? Also, does the region look "normal" once the wound has healed?

Thanks in advance!
YES!! i am soooo glad its gone. i'm almost completely healed and its only been a couple weeks. i had a large one though and it caused me constant pain so even the severe pain that lasted a day after surgery is nothing compared to the constant pain i used to have because of the skin tag. i dont know anything about cremes but i had mine cauterized off and am soooo glad. i am almost completely back to normal and my boyfriend says i look like nothing ever was wrong. i think i still have a little bump though and he's just being nice... but the little bump is nothing compared to the tag i had before and i only had my surgery on the 11th. the complications that i read about seem to come with people that are still suffering from hemmoriods with the tags, and that may have used stitches after the removal instead of cauterization. there maybe a difference in healing times and pain with different procedures depending on the docter.....i used kaiser. i feel no pain now.
well all - I went to see my regular doctor for my annual check up and she told me to go see another doctor, a general surgeon, to get a second opinion on my tag.  She said that it wasn't something that I should just have to live with and couldn't believe the gastroenterologist I saw told me that.  So I went in July and it was totally embarassing, but I was determined to get through it.  He told me absolutely that I was too young to live with something like this and so I'm schedule to have surgery to remove my tag next week.  I'm nervous about the post op pain & possible complications, but he assured me those are rare and that although I won't look like I did when I was 20 down there it will be a huge improvement over what I'm living with now.  I just can't imagine life again not being constantly aware of this tag...I will be sure to post back and let you all know how things go in case it will help anyone else with their decision to have surgery.
this is insane there must be some cream or self help to remove these things with out going to a doctor of have surgery???
I had surgery two days ago and things seem okay, except I still haven't had a bowel movement yet.  The doctor said that the pain medication could make me constipated so I'm going to try and just use advil today.  I also took some metamucil and stool softeners yesterday to help move things along.  The surgery was fine and went quick - that first day I didn't have hardly any pain at all but that was because they had given me local medication on top of the pills I had taken.  The second day when I woke up the pain was a bit more because everything had worn off, so I took my meds again.  Warm showers and using the warm water in that region helped too.

Right now there is still a little bleeding, oozing from the area.  It is very slight and I don't know if that is normal or not - I have to call the doctor again today.  I think right now my biggest problem is getting through this first bowel movement, that is causing some discomfort today.  But looking at my butt, well I can honestly say that all this is worth it just to have that nasty thing gone.  My surgeon removed it using stitches not cauterizing it, so I'm worried about the stitches breaking and such, but so far so good.

miss72 - unfortunately there is no other way to get rid of these things without surgery.   If there was, I would have been doing it.  There are no creams or anything to help this area.  Most of the creams you see to treat skin tags are for those on your face or body, the anal area is so vascular that these types of creams or other "wart/tag" removers do not work.  It took me over two years to finally break down and get over my embarassment to get this taken care of, I wish that I wouldn't have waited so long now.  This discomfort is not pleasant, but it will be worth it to have this gone.
How did you all find your doctor to do the surgery?  I was referred to a surgeon who wouldn't remove the tag/external hemorrhoid I got when I had my daughter because they won't do it unless it is causing problems (other than hygeine, embarassment, etc).  Now I don't want to waste time and money seeing random surgeons who might just tell me they don't want to remove it either.  

Any suggestions for doctors in Northern California?
How long were you off from work/activities after your surgeries??
Got another question, how much does the surgey cost if insurance does not pay for it or does, just a general idea, i've never had anything similar to this before.
i had my surgery on thursday and attended a wedding on saturday, went to work on sunday. i was till a bit sore but not in any excrutiating pain. i think its very important that every one has regular bowel movements after surgery because hard stools is the worse thing you can have after this surgery and usually leads to more complications if not the cause of why we have anal skin tags in the first place. drink plenty of water always. and try to eat lots of bananas, peaches, any fruit with raw fiber. but water is a MUST. i think this will prevent future tags from forming again...something my docter said will inevitably happen to most of the population over time.

surgery was the only option for me. i dont see how a creme could ever help you remove a big lump of flesh from your anus without being acid or some other horribly painful solution that would lead to more complications. and by chance the creme did work, how wouldl it be applied in such a way that the flesh mound would drop off in a perfectly clean cut? you would still have this staggered wierd looking flesh wound after the thing fell off. although i have heard the steroid creme shrinks them down a bit. i used proctozone for mine but it really only decreased irritation and swelling. it had to be physician perscribed though and very expensive. most insurance companies should cover it. mine was a hundred bucks through kaiser. for those that don't have insurance i heard its about $1500. a case for national healthcare if i ever heard one.
For those of you who had it done, did you do it in a doctors office or had to go to the hospital.
So,  I had two removed about 6 weeks ago and they are completely healed.  I had one more that I had done on Monday and was in pain (very little) only the day of the procedure.  They do completely heal and the bum looks smooth by 4-6 weeks.  I will update you now that they are ALL gone in a few weeks to let you know how they look.  So glad I did it and the embarrassment of the swelling is nothing compared to the tags themselves.  I am sure that in a few months I will have forgotten they were ever there.  For anyone looking to do it, go to www.crhcenter.com      They rock!
I got a referral to a general surgeon at our local hospital through my own family doctor.  Initially I had gone to a gastroenterologist for other problems and questioned about having the tag removed.  That doctor told me that I would have to "just live with it" and that if I wanted it done it would be considered "cosmetic" surgery (i.e. not covered by insurance).

My family doctor disagreed and referred me to the general surgeon at our hospital.  When he saw me his first comment was "you are too young to live with something like that - it needs to come off".  Insurance will cover it because on the paperwork he said it was an hemoridal skin tag and due to the fact it was causing me discomfort, pain and just making my life hell in general it was condition enough to warrant the surgery.  I don't know how much it all cost because I haven't seen the bills yet.

On the day of surgery I went to an out-patient surgery center.  I was in and out in a matter of hours, they put me under anesthesia for the procedure and I didn't know anything.  When I woke, I wasn't in pain because they had given me local medication in addition to the prescription pain med they gave me to take.  I took that when I got home after the procedure and was very comfortable.  Around 3AM I woke up on day 2 because the pain meds and obviously the local stuff had worn off so I took some of the prescription pain meds and had a warm shower which made me feel better.  By the third day I was off the prescription stuff and switched over to plain Advil.  By day four I am not even taking any pain meds.  I had the surgery on Monday, my first BM on Wednesday went better than I had expected.  I was preparing for the worst and it wound up being fine.  I just made sure I was taking a stool softener and some metamucil to help things along.  It feels a little strange going, but I think that is just because of the fact that the area is still healing.

By Thursday morning I felt like I turned a corner, there really is no pain whatsoever today which is Saturday.  I just need to be careful obviously when sitting or getting up, but other than that I feel great.  Had another BM today with no incident.  I never used any topical cream or anything for the area.  I just take warm showers maybe two times a day and use PrepH wipes to clean the area just because there is still some discharge from the area which they said is normal and to be expected.  That is the only thing that is bumming me out at this point, but I just wear a sanitary pad and its not even really that much.

My surgeon, when I see him next week for a follow-up I think I will kiss him because he did an amazing job.  Everything he did was done internally so there is absolutely nothing on the exterior that is exposed - if you looked you wouldn't even know I had anything done, you can't see stiches, nothing.  I cannot believe how this man has changed my life, its the most bizarre thing not having that hideous painful tag anymore.

I would say to anyone considering the surgery - go ahead and do it.  Don't take no for an answer.  Of course there are always going to be risks and yes, everyone has a different experience.  But on the whole, speaking for myself - it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be and the fear of that shouldn't stop you.  Yes - some people may have a bad experience but that is the case with everything and its just so much more worth it to have that thing that is bothering you finally be gone.
I too have a skin tag from child birth. Creativegirl--your surgeon sounds wonderful. Where do you live? I'm in the Tampa area and need to find someone good for this. Can anyone help?  I would love to be back to normal again. Please help!!!
I'm still in loads of pain especially after a BM :( really depressing me. will be going the hospital to see my surgeon as a follow up appoinment. will have to wait and see what he suggests. Ive just moved house which I dont think has helped at all!
This is so frustrating. I have a pretty good size anal tag and I have been to a rectal surgeon (the tag does not cause me any pain) who told me that if he removed it there would be a 50-50 chance of it healing correctly. he really discouraged me fro doing the procedure.Hesaid EVEN if the procedure went well that i would be looking at 3-4 months recovery time for the area to be normal and that it would be very unpleasant and painful during that time...and IF the stitches (this was the only method he saw viable, cutting it off)  happened to break , then i would be left with MORE skin tags! I am so pissed off abou this thing, I know it was from years ago when I had bad Irritable Bowel and a fissure developed and this is the left over scar tissue/skin tag. I am so worried abou tthis new guy that i am seeing and that he will think it is gross and weird.
I ordered this wart/mole/skintag vannish cream for 89 bucks and i put it on today and it KILLED! Now my butt looks worse and is very swollen and even a little blood/drainage has come from this awful cream. I cannot believe i did this to my self.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I was told by the surgeon to forget about it b/c the risks are too high and he said the only way to remove it is by incision..??  If i wasn't worried about this new relationship I would jsut let it go, But i am so obsessed with this tag and want it gone so bad!

Please any advice would be great.
thanks so much..
Has anyone had sucess with the creams??
i doubt that any creams would work on the anal skin tag. if you do have the surgery, make sure you follow all the advice and make sure that whilst youre healing that you NEVER get constipated!!!! i think this has been my problem. if i do have surgery on mine again then i will stock up on fibergel and lactulose and drink loads more! i look loads worse down there now and i feel like i dont want my partner anywhere near me now in bed for fear of him seeing the mess down there :(
i never knew there was so may people with this problem.. idont feel so alone about it anymore lol..but yeah, i was think'n about putting rubber bands on my tags my self..whatch think?
i think the rubber band idea on yourself is a bad idea. it might get infected and the rubber bands only are used on tags still inside your intestine, not ones that would be visible or that you could apply yourself. i think stitches too are a bad idea. the only wait to go is cauterization. its been a little over a month since my surgery and i feel fine. like nothing was ever wrong, it looks normal now too. cauterization. stay regular!
Ive had an anal skin tag for years now and im not sure where it came from and i really dont remember when it appeared.  I was told by my GP that to have this removed would be considered a cosmetic surgury several months ago.  Within the past month I developed a peri anal abcess (abscess) which i had to see a colon and recatl surgen for.  This was not caused by the skin tag.  However I mentioned to him (colon and rectal surgeon) that I would also like the skin tag removed he said it would be covered by insurance.  He said i would be out of work for a few days and didnt mention any complications.  The skin tag i hve is about 3/4 of an inch long and has always been an embarasment.  I have an appointment now to have the skin tag removed on 9/27/07 and am looking forward to it.  I already had the licodine ***** when i had the abcess (abscess) treated which really does hurt and burn but i will deal with it again to get rid of this thing.  I will let you know the details after the surgery.  I am not going to be put under and they said i could drive home after and i didnt need to get a ride.  To me they made it sounds way to easy.  I know i will experience some pain just like i did with the abcess (abscess) but I have no hesitation about the surgery.
I'm having surgery in about a month. Anyone have any advice for me to prepare myself?
I just had the surgery to remove my rather large skin tag.  My surgery was at 930am and now 3 hours later im still not in any pain thanks to the percocet.  I also got another prescription which is a cream that is an antibiotic, its called Metronidazole.  My doctor told me this was going to be cover ed by insurance even though I was having it removed for cosmetic reasons, maybe he will submit this as another type of prcedure or say it was necissary.  I recently saw this doctor for another reason so my main issue was not the skin tag.  The procedure is pretty quick and not too painful they use a local anestetic I think its called licodine.  That is the most painful part you will feel pinching and burning for the first min or so .  The doctor basically used a scalpel to cut it off.  You can feel the cutting but it doesnt hurt.  If your having an anal skin tag removed I would recomend eating very light the day before so you dont have any painful bowel movements.  I also bought antibacterial baby wipes and the doctor recommended that I take a bath 2 times a day and after each bowel movement.  I have yet to take the bandages off but I will let you know how its going a few days from now.
How do you feel now???  I'm scared to have the procedure done.  Any words of advice would be great.  I had the band ligation procedure done last month for my internal hemorrhoids, but am so nervous about cutting off the external tag.  My doctor recommended that I live with it, if possible.  Help!
how early can u have sex after havig a tag removed? had mine removed today and boyfriends comes as a surprise on friday... is it 5 days not enough?
I developed haemmorhoids whilst pregnant with my first child, one being so big that it never shrank back completely leaving quite a large skin tag, after the birth of my second child, knowing that he was to be my last I decided that I wanted it gone as i never felt very clean and as some of you have said was very paranoid with my husband.  I went to my DR who referred me to a surgeon.  On checking me out he told me that I had two internal hems that could be banded but to remove the skin tags as well I would need a full haemmorhoidectomy, I booked this without a second thought, although he looked at me very cautiously as if wondering what the big deal was about.  To me it was, I hated the skin tag!!! I had my full surgery last week, 7 days tomorrow and I can honestly say that I think the major part of the pain is the area which the skin tag was removed from and not the internal hems.  Every BM is painless until you finish and then the pain kicks in and is so painful it makes you feel sick, this however only lasts for approx 10 mins as long as you are on top of your pain killers.  When having a BM I suggest you have lots of cotton balls handy to soak in the hottest water you can bear to dab yourself, and I mean dab not wipe!!!  after this my other secret is that I wrap an ice pop in kitchen roll and sit on it, this really helps too!!! I take plenty of lactulose and ibroprufen (i'm in the UK dont know if different meds in USA).  I will keep reporting my progress for you.  p.s. my bum is already looking good for anyone that cares!
my second day after the surgery and l had a couple of very good tips!!
my mom told me to eat 2 kiwis a day to prevent straining... l just had a flashback this morning when l felt a bm comming, of when my second was born and l needed to have a bm. but it worked with no pain!!! soon after l could feel the circle of the anus very tense and it's been very uncomfortable since. l just spoke to my doctor a couple of hours ago and he told me to "perform" same kegel excercises l did with my vagina while pregnant... but with the muscle of the anus... l feel already relief! plus, l showered like 4 times today with nice warm-hot water and has helped a lot!
8 days now since my surgery and I must tell you that as of today the pain has eased slightly after a BM, it still stings for a few minutes but I no longer need the ice pop!!!! and after a BM is the only time that I feel any pain, I think I can now stop all pain meds (I will let you know). However, I have absolutely no regrets about having this surgery cause however bad the pain, I could not have lived forever with that disgusting skin tag ............watch this space!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hi, i'm 20 and have had a large skin tag for as long as i can remember. i bleed on n off since i was 13, nvr realizing how potetially damaging this habit was... recently i had a second smaller tag. BM hasnt been good ever since! hurts and burns after every BM. I think the big skin tag is getting bigger from constant irritation. sighs. i wudnt mind them around if it wasnt for the pain. its like it clogs up my anus. for some reason, my stools are always hard. it takes a lot of effort (prune juice+banana) to make them soft! its really quite a challenge to do it since im living n studying alone abroad. the pain always depresses me. my gp had a loook at it once n dismissed it as nothing. he said since its not painfull, just dont do anythhing. but dats been a diff story these days. gosh its like constant fear of the toilet...
For everyone who had their tags cut off, can you rate the recovery pain the first few days?  On a scale of 1 to 10, what is it?  I have two kids, one being 8 months, and am nervous about being in too much pain to carry her around, play with her, etc.  
Day 4:
l am amaze of the recovery i am doing. Yesterday was not a very good day, but l must say the pain is diminishing by the day (on top of that, l got my period). This are my very best tips (and l can tell u they work):
1. extreme hygiene. l wont lie if l say l have never been more in water (shower or bath)
2. glicerine suppositories. it softens the stools and relaxes the ring around the anus
3. kiwis and prunes. 2 right before bedtime and afist of prunes
4. today the doctor recomended me a cortisone cream for the iching after checking there is no infection. Nice relief
5. CAMOMILE. yeap, the most amazing natural antiinflamatory.... 2 things u can do:
Boil a liter of water, when boiling take the water out of the stove and soak 4-5 camomile bags and add 2 tablepspoons of salt. You need 2 liters of water, double everything... somehow that combination is a very powerful cleaning and antiinflamatory, and let me tell u, it worked nicely againt the itching and pain.
6. a robe. yes, a robe... l felt tons of relief when l am home, take my underwear off, soak my butt in the camomile water and after l go "comando" and let my butt air... it does work for kids rashes, right?
And l am a single mom with 2 active kids, and they wear me out BUT... looking at my butt right now without the skin tag and l think is is sooooo worth it.
Yes the pain is there, but somehow the pain is very bearable, at least dsoing those things...

THis is great advice!  Thanks so much.  Did you do your procedure at the crh center or with a GP?  Sorry for all the questions but, as you know, this is such a sensitive topic.
no problem at all!
l live in norway right now, so my doctor sent me to a day clinic when they do this things, u know like little procedures where u dont have to spend the night...
l must say that l am handling this quite well, just after a bm l feel a lot of discomfort, so l took a shower, washed my self and then l sit in the camomile bath... the relief is almost instant... incredible! and unless u are a clock with your bm's, with the glicerine supp. you may be able to "schedule" the bm, shower and camomile bath when the kids sleep... or watch tv for 20m or so... l havnt taken any pain killers since the firs day...
I am a little concerned that you are only taking into account SRP68's surgery, as she seems to be recovering far quicker and better than anyone else on this site, which is fantastic for her but a little out of the ordinary I think.  I am now on day 10 after the surgery and after a BM and by the end of the day am still in a great deal of pain.  Directly after a BM I would say on a scale 1-10 a "10" the other difficult times I would say at about 6-7.  It is improving slightly but weirdly enough the first few days after the surgery are the easier ones and it seems to get worse before it gets better.  I called my hospital yesterday to see if my progress is normal and the ward sister advised me that it will be about 3 weeks before things start to ease a little!!! My friend who is also a nurse admitted to me yesterday that if she had told me how bad it was (according to her patients) I would never have had the surgery. I however, do not regret it because I know there is "no pain no gain" and within a few weeks i will forget this awful time.  As for playing with your children, of course your life will still continue as normal, I can still drive, walk, play with the kids (I have a 4yr old and a 4mth old) bath them etc and could the day after the surgery, so it doesnt enable you from doing things, it is just a very uncomfortable pain at certain times of the day.  You have to remember that the skin tag is in a very ackward position, which is not the cleanest or driest of areas, it is pivotal to your body for walking, standing, sitting and the wound will be left raw to heal, therefore the healing time is longer than anywhere else.  I am not trying to put you off because as I have said, however painful it is I do not regret this surgery, I just dont want you to have any false illusions of how it can be.  

To all of you whom had the anal tags removed ...I have a question...Did any of your doctors tell you that the removal of the tag because of its close proximity to our anus and all the bad stiff like ecoli that comes out of our colon etc...that if an infection came from the open wound/stitches that there is risk of death?
My doctor just told me this and franlkly, scarred me alot and I really don't think i should do it now (the surgery).....cause of the risk of infection.....What do you all think?
Rach37
For the first week after surgery I was put on antibiotics because of the risk of infection, my surgeon told me that after this time the healing is well under way.  But no I wasnt told amy of that stuff.  My surgeon told me that the healing process is on par with having an episiotomy which I had with my first son and healed ok.  I am now on day 11 and things seem to be settling down a little now so there is light at the end of the tunnel.
hi girls
l wont say that l dont feel pain at all, not true, but l believe, truly that extreme hygiene, the relaxation technique for the ring around the anus and the camonile baths are making wonders. sure, l somehow see the stars when l have a bm, but glicerine suppositories help to not to "force" the ring, and the baths really, really provide relief. But hey, it's just me...
an two more things: We do follow a very healthy diet home and take vitamines and extra supplements every single day. Having a good, and l mean, really god diet allows the body to recover faster, as when catching a cold or having a bruise, or aving an small wound. that is a fact.
And as l am double checking,  here in norway we leave the clininc with info about the procedure, caring tips, things to watch out... and it states that recovery time is an estimate of 1 to 2 weeks.
can i ask, how big was the skin tag you removed? mine is pretty big... with 2 small ones. am so worried! but bm these days have been tough, hence they're getting swollen, and really uncomfortable. sighz.... am worried about what the doctor might say about the removal. I really hope the doc doesn't honestly expect me to live on with this problem unattended... im only 20!
mine was big as the nail in my thumb (more or less)
Mine was quite big I would say about 1.5 inches long by 0.5 inch.  I am now on day 18 and things have eased quite abit.  I have cut right back on my pain killers.  The worse time is late at night when I think gravity has taken force all day and the whole area aches like you have been kicked hard.  But apart from that having a BM isnt anywhere near as bad as it was in weeks 1 and 2.  I predict for complete recovery I am probably looking at 4-6 weeks before I feel no pain, but I still do not regret having the surgery as I know it is something I would have been concious of forever and my moto is "no pain no gain"!!!!! but however painful it was, the pain is soon forgotten and you have your end result.
I had mine removed oct 4 th and still felling like hell.I cried like a baby,belive or not?I have tons of pain meds,sits baths,i do almost everything but nothing rellay helped me.I guess eveyone has differnt body,differnt pains.I hope we all feel better,soon.God bless.
The first two weeks are the very worst and you are still within this time, by the third week believe me it eases, not completely, but it does!  In the first couple of weeks you can not believe that the pain will ever ease and I sympathise with you because it is excrutiating.  My operation was three weeks ago tomorrow and things are better, not completely mind you, but definately better.  As I have said before I think it will be six weeks before it eases completely!! hang in there.
Thanx for your comment,i need it to hear from somebody.I had a hemorrohoid surgey 1995-2005.I also had a deep fissure.My dr did a botox for that in 2005.This year somehow I had a 2 deep fissures and hurted me like hell.After colonoscopy,my dr told me that he has to give me a another botox treatment and i hade a large 2 skin tags.He also removed those.Let me tell you....I cried days and night.Took a sits baths 10 times a day.I did a ice treatment.Right now I'm going crazy again,cause of pain...I live in tampa anad mt dr ,Dr Goldin,he is great,really...I just cant control the pain with porcecet,or vicodin tipe meds.I just dont know what to do anymore.Today 12 days of the surgery.One thing i will tell you is,my hand on my butt 24-7.embaressing????Yeah....
l had my removal on a monday, went for a long walk in the woods tuesday, exercise thursday (weight train) and actually had sex on friday night. discharge, l'd say a week, 10 days, very mellow. l am on my day 17 and l feel very good, stil some discomfort after a bm, but the combination of "tricks" l posted before seem to worked very well on me. l look at it everyday and even is still very "raw", l dont regret the initial pain and the now discomfort.. at all. good luck to you!
l had a skin tag removed. l had a small hemorroid after my first child. lt was nearly dead but the birth of my second child was so abrupt, that many capilars were broken andthe hemorroid became like a golf ball full of blood. in three weeks came down, but it became a skin tag, and that was what l got removed. it was big like a thumb, more or less
yes, l did, it actually was the most umpleasant thing, really. l took some ibuprofen and did one of those rectal wash at home before l went. At the clinic they lay me there and the shots were kind of painfull. l took really deep breaths and "small talked" with the nurse to try to relax. the sting lasted for no more than minute, the doctor waited and then felt no pain, just a bit of uncomfort. He was really kind and kept talking to me as a distraction... they cut it off and after that the most unpleasant thing was the smell of the burn skin (they cut and they laser the wound to prevent bleeding) and yes, they didnt stich. the whole thing lasted no more than 4-5 minutes. then they gave me one of those panties that look like a fishnet and a pad. they prescribed some pain killers (Voltaren here in norway) but no antibiotics. that was at 2 pm and l felt the lidocaine wearing off before l went to bed, but the pain was not as bad as l though. l gotta tell u, is not a walk in the woods, but day after day it gets better and l have no regrets at all!. You will have pain no matter what, more or less, but you will, because it is an extremely sensitive area, but it gets better.... l promise you, bummed1, it does.
srp68 it sounds like you had your cauterized as well. me too. i think this is the best option as the pain is considerably less than stitches. i really only was in pain for about two days, then i just ached for a week and now i feel fine. like nothing was ever wrong. i recomend to everyone considering this surgery is to find a surgeon or docter who will cauterize the tag. meaning they burn the wound closed with lasers. its not that me and srp68 are fast healers or are that we are just lucky. its that  our procedure was different than the people who got stitches. and thus our healing time was faster and less painful. also, for those of you with hard stools, besides making sure you have regular bms,  i recommend drinking plenty of water. i hardly ever drank water and i think this is one of the reasons why i was constipated with hard stools all the time. also, during surgery i didnt have to have a shot though and was just sedated with an iv drip. i actually knocked out completly and dont remember anything until i woke up in recovery with a big pad on. i just lay there for a couple minutes then felt ok enough to  be picked up to go home.
I dont have any stitches on but my husband told me raw skin after he looked down the area.Guys,I'm going crazy with the pain.Hydroco/apap10-650 mg doesnt help so much anymore,it just making me drowsy.i take every 4 hrs and 2 hrs after i take 800 mg motrin,sometimes 2.It seems day time i can deal with it but night times are the worse times of the day.Burning and the pain is so bad I cry like a baby sometimes,and I'm 51 yrs old.Shame on me,cant help it.Hopefully it will be ease soon so i can go back to have a normal life again.If you ask me if i need it again to remove skin tags I will say,HELL NO.....I pray all of your pain goes away soon..Take care...
oh honey, the pain will go away, slowly, but it will.... and with time you will be happy you did this no matter what the reason was... now there is no pai at all, lts been almos 3 weeks and just a bit of discomfort after a bm that dissapear after a camomile bath.... there is light at the end of the tunnel, u'll see!!!
I am now four weeks on from my op and thankfully the pain has gone, although I am not totally back to normal yet (although I think this is partly my fault), I probably havent eaten as much fibre as I should have therefore making BM a little problem as I feel they are too hard to get out causing tummy ache thus the runs.  The pain does take at least 3 weeks to ease and I suggest you drink lots of water and eat lots of fibre (both of which I havent done and am regretting it) it will get better!!!  
Yes I still have pain a lot.Let me tell you guys..I dint sleep all night long,almost..I have urge to go to bm all the time.I have least 6 bm a day and very soft cause i take senokot-s.So bm is not the problem.I had a 2 deep fissures also and dr did a botox for them.Some of you guys said that before get better will get worse.Thats me....Tody is almost 3 weeks"4th of oct." Skin tags were very big,two of them and I still have large hemorrohoid that dr didnt remove that one.I know the pain mostly from fissures but area of the skin is still raw.How I know,my husband and my oldest doughter checking for it.I dont feel no emberrasment cause i dont care anymore.Pain is so bad,i do anything to give me a little relieve.Today i was lookin in the internet for natural remedy for fissures and i found out that we need to take b complex and vitamin c also.I take all of those plus flexseed,fish oil.Today i was walikg in the house cooked oatmeal on my butt area.Pain is so bad i called my dr to make an app.He will see me on 31th oct.Hopefully its not going to be a bad news, Halloweeeennnn.
Thank you guys,for your concern and good luck all of you who will want to have this surgery.
Hi Mandyh,
How do you feel now?Are you completely symptom free?
Had my surgery this morning. Will keep posting on my progress.
Hi everyone. I went to a specialist today about two skin tags that I have, and she told me that they are fissures. She reccomends that I get a "sphincterotomy" procedure done. She would remove the tags and slightly cut my muscle on each side to stop muscle spasms that caused the fissures. I asked her how painful it would be because i was scared after i read this. She told me that I would have to take a week off, but assured me that it is a lot less painful then hemroid removal. I would like to get this procedure done because the skin tags are extrememly annoying and gross and I am only 22. I want to get it taken care of the first week of december, but i do not want to spend the christmas holidays in pain. Has anyone had this procedure done and have any advice or suggestions for me? Is the pain terrible, or can you deal with it? I am really nervous...please help me out!
There has gotta be a cream to remove these skin tags!!!! Surgery and pain is just not an option for me!! Please HELP!!!

Thank you.
I understand that fissures are the underlying reasons of the skin tags.
You should definitely have the fissures removed and at the same time they will remove the tags as well.
I do not have the fissure but just the tag. So most drs. and people advise me to live with it cause it is not a major condition but major for me. Let us know how your op goes.
Dear mrktgirl,
I spoke to many drs, sorry there is no any other way. Interestingly most drs say, you will feel sore or 1-2 weeks but none of them say "incredible pain" or anything unbearable like some of our friends had here. SO confused.
no, girl, there is not, dont believe if you see any false advertisement about that. sin tags are flaps of skin, not a pimple or a wart, and sadly, surgery is the option to get them removed. is there pain after the surgery? yes. does it last forever? no even it seems like it). are there things u can do to ease the pain? yes!
Hey There,
I had one external hemi removed and two small skin tags yesterday. Fortunately, so far, the pain is no where near what others have posted. Sure, it is sore and at times has gotten pretty achy, but so far today, all I have taken is one 600mg motrin. Yesterday, after the surgery, I stayed on top of my Vicoden's, but today the motrin seems to be working ok. I have yet to have my first bm, but when I do, I will just take some of the strong stuff and have a hot bath, and if the way I have been feeling so far is any indication, I don't think it will be intolerable. Everybody's recovery seems to be very different. I have actually been up moving around alot, and then seems to actually make it feel better. My surgeon called this morning and gave me the ok to take a walk if I feel up to it. Do you exercise regularly already?? and are you at a reasonable or healthy weight. This seems to make a difference in the amount of pain you will experience.
thanks for your advice. i think im just going to have the tag removed and forget about the fissure. i barley have any pain, the tags are just annoying as hell. i dont want to have the surgery, just the tags gone
i have just had surgery to remove anal skin tag and i was terrified after reading some stories on here . but just wanted to tell everyone who is gonna go through with it that its not that bad atall and im a wimp . dont even know iv had anything done no pain whatsoever as of yet and my surgery was yesterday afternoon

goodluck
How big are your skin tags. Can they just snip them or is the base pretty wide??
Ok,
So the dreaded first bm is over...........yeah!! It wasn't too bad at all. Recommendation, eat a very high fiber diet, drink a glass of metamucil, take a couple of stool softeners, and it will all work out ok because it will be very soft. Also, if you have a removable shower head, just hop from the toilet into the shower and rinse your bum off with some really hot water. I followed that routine, and apart from a little soreness and slight stinging, it was not bad. I didn't need a hot soak or a pain pill. The hot water from the shower took the pain away. Now I just feel a little tender and swollen.
Hi everyone,
When I was in Germany, I heard about a Dr using a laser system called Ceralas D 15 ELVeS rom Biolitek a company in USA. I did some research about this, Elves stands for Endo Laser Vein Syste and actually developed for varicose veins in legs and skin warts.
However according to German clinic, this guy revolutionsed the system and using is for the treatment of hemorroids (hemorrhoids)(1-2-3 degree) and skin tags and his work has been shown German Gastroproctology.
He has now moved to Antalya Turkey and has a clinic there. For those who know, Antalya is a touristic city in south coast of Turkey with excellent beach resorts and they told me that majority of his patients are foreigners. Below are his web sites, 3 languages Turkish, german and English. And the site with skin tags and his treatment. Because there is no knife wound, he says recovery is 3-4 days maximum, he removes the skin tags with laser, the wound left is very small compared to open surgery.
www.proktoklinik.com.
http://www.proktoklinik.com/gb_12.htm
Find the section explaining laser, Elves system. Allegedly the guy is an expert for minimal invasive anal surgery and he is avoiding all other technoques in anal surgeries and there is only 2-3 doctors doing this in the whole world.

Those of you in US, http://www.biolitec-us.com/ is the website of the laser maker of This Elves system. Maybe you can ask them if they are aware or not of that their system is being used for hemorroid and anal skin tag treatments. I think this should work because they use laser for removing veins in the leg, under the skin or removing skin from other parts of the body and logic says if a proctologist is an expert using this, he can be useful.
It is up to us trying. Hope this helps someone.
I have had a skin tag since the birth of my son in 1997 and it has gotten bigger over the years.  I feel so relieved there are more people with the same issues.  It doesn't hurt but it is so awful as far as cleanliness and it also just bothers me(cosmetically).  
I went to a colon and rectal surgeon and after the embarassing chair with your butt up in the air visit that lasted a minute, he simply said "yes you have a skin tag and make an appt and we will do a local and just cut it off and you will be fine within a few days".  After reading this, I am a little worried that it is not that simple and easy.  I am having the procedure tomorrow afternoon in his office.  I have called the nurse for information, like would he use laser or what exactly does he do this procedure.  She said he would simply give you a local and cut it off and usually you don't need a stitch.  Well I have a pre-op appt the following day in the OBGYN's office for a NOVASURE procedure I am having done 1 week later on the 12th and they said I would be fine to have the pre-op appt the day after and the procedure the week after.
I am feeling really sceptical that I might need to find a surgeon that does the laser and cauterization.
Can anyone give me some guidance?
ok, so i decided that i am not going to get rid of the fissures, but JUST get my skintags removed. Has anyone just gotten a tag removed and thats it? What is the pain like? I really really really need answers. thans!
l did, quite a few here did too... as l said before, pain? yes! forever? NO!
good luck girl!
I had my skin tag removed yesterday in the doctor's office.  He numbed the area with a shot and then cut it off.  Let me see it afterwards and it was a little bigger than I could see or feel before the surgery.  Now I am not in excruciating pain but I did take my pain pills last night.  But what I am scared of is when I urinate(which I have not done the other yet) there is quite a bit of bright red blood and he just left it wide open to heal by itself.  I'm scared it is going to heal open and then be just as ugly or feel bad wide open.  I have a call into his office because he didn't give me very much instruction or what to expect.  I'm wondering if I needed a stitch or something to keep it together. I wish I had now gone to look for a doctor that explained more and would assure me that cosmetically it would look better also.
Hi Everyone!  Before I had my skin tag removed I searched all over the internet for info on skin tags.  This forum was one of the more helpful sites so I feel that I kind of owe it to you all to share my removal experience.  I had one skin tag.  It was a few cm long, not very wide, and just a few cm away from my anus.  It did not hurt, it was just annoying and I was self-conscious about it.  I went to the doctor and he said it would be no problem to remove it.  My insurance covered it.  (I noticed my doc called it a "perianal mass"-probably to make sure that my insurance wouldn't question it too much).  

The surgery was so quick and easy.  I had it done in the hospital.  I laid down on my side and my doctor taped my butt cheeks open.  He cleaned my bum (with iodine, I think).  He gave me a shot in the area with anesthetic.  It hurt for about 10-15 seconds.  Then I was completely numb and didn't even realize it when he removed the skin tag!  He put in a couple of stitches and then glued the outermost part of the incision.  The nurse said that the anesthetic would wear off in an hour or so and that I should take Advil for relief if I needed it.  

I took two Advil as soon as I got home just in case but I never felt any pain.  In fact, I didn't feel any discomfort at all.  It felt completely normal.  I peed with no problem but was nervous about my first bm.  When it happened later that day, there were no problems.  It just took a little longer to clean myself.  (I used a patting motion and a combination of regular tp and moist wipes.)  I didn't go to work even though I definitely could have.  Next day was fine-no problems.  

This is the end of my 3rd day since surgery.  I still have some glue remnants over the incision, which is good bc otherwise I would forget that I had it done and wipe like normal after a bm (instead of the patting to make sure I don't reopen it or anything).  Anyway, I know everyone is different but I wanted to share with you that my surgery and recovery could not have been easier or less painful.  I see the doc again in a week so if anything changes when I go, I'll come back and share. Good luck!
I had 3 skin tags - 1 large, one med., and one small one.  So yes, I understand everyone's discomfort, embarassment, etc.  Same story, had a child, got roids, blah blah.  I had the two largest removed two days ago - NO STITCHES - they tear you when you go No. 2.  Chemically cauderized (sp?) is the way to go - ask your doctor.  I read all of your posts and I'd like to thank everyone for their input because it helped me come up with a pre-procedure plan.  Ok, having had roid attacks, I knew that going No. 2 was going to be the biggest challenge in terms of setting me back on the healing process so my plan focused on that.  Here's what I did:
Before the procedure:
1.  For 4 weeks before the procedure I ate very healthy - lots of fiber, vitamins etc.  Drank lots of water - 8 glasses a day.
2.  2 days before the procedure didn't have any meat or starches.
3.  1 day before the procedure I started taking stool softeners.
4.  Only had chicken broth and veggie soup the day before the procedure.  (I did this to avoid having a stool right after the procedure and turns out I didn't have one until 2 days after - this was key!)
5.  I planned on taking 2 days off work before the weekend so I would have 4 solid days of recovery.
6.  Had the procedure early in the morning on a Thursday so that I would have the maximum amount of recovery time before going back to work on Monday.
After the procedure:
1.  Stayed in bed drank lots of water and stayed on top of meds - tylenol with codeine in my case b/c vicodin makes me nauseous.  (Turns out codeine do too - oh well.)
2.  Sitz bath sitz bath sitz bath!  I cannot stress how much that helped.  Just soak 3x a day and especially after a No. 2.  When you have your first No. 2, even though this sounds disgusting, try having it in the sitz bath.  It softens the stool and relaxes your muscles and softens the tissue so less chance of tearing.  Immediately after, flush it, wash it out and then sit in it again!  Immediately follow with a shower.  This is what I did and it made it so much easier.  Remember to breath!
3.  After the first day stop taking those codeine or vicodin - they counter the effects of the stool softener which you will continue to take.  But by all means take those meds the first day and night.  The first day is extremely painful.  Continue taking motrin with food after that first day.
4.  Keep eating foods high in fiber and avoid any huge amounts of meat or anything starchy.
5.  Sitz bath, sitz bath, sitz bath - you won't believe how much better your bottom feels after these.  It helps with the pain and/or itching and keeps you clean because you will continue to have discharge for quite some time.  Also, amazingly, this helps with the swelling so it seems this will aid towards the fastest recovery.
6.  Last of all - be patient.  You will have swelling that looks like skin tags but those will go away eventually and may take weeks for the final result.  

Ok, that's it.  That's just my $0.02.  It helped me and I hope it will help any of you who decide to go forward with this procedure.   Good luck!  :D
Six weeks on Tuesday since my surgery and I can honestly say that there is not any pain now and just a small sore area still which I think still has a tiny bit of healing today.  It has been a very long and slow healing process (naturally because of the delicate area it is in) but the first few weeks were definately the worst.  I definately still maintain, which I have said from the beginning, i do not regret having this surgery at all as the unsightly horrible tags have now gone, yahay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and much as it was the worst pain ever for a while I would do it again in a shot rather than have the skin tags which I absolutely hated.  I will mail again once the thing has completely healed to give you an idea of total recovery time.  Good luck all.
I had mine skin tags removed on 4th oct.Also two deep fissurs.I had a hemorrhoidal disease for a quite some times.Before my surgery {didnt planned to remove the tags,first}I was in pain about a month from fissurs.Fissures can be very painfull,worse than the skin tag removel (removal).My dr told me he doesnt want to cut the anal sphincter yet.What he did was he removed 2 large ,right and left hemorroidal external tags with the liga sure device.Hemostasis was achieved with cautery as well and this portion of the procedure was terminated.Than 20 units of botox were injected into the right side and 20 botox to the left side.Marcaine 0.25%injected also and bacitracin ointment was applied.

Now,this is my  5 th week and stiil so much pain.I went to the urgent care ,twice and finally I see my own dr last week and he told me'I have told you that you will be in pain for a while cause skin tags were in the anus.Ouch!!!!!He also told me to wait another month to get better.

I cant go outside yet cause sometimes I have a bm accidents,Cause of botox.I cant control my bladder most of the time ,again from botox.Like I told you guys before pain differnt for everyone and procedure is not the same for everone.

I'm writing completly with honesty.Do whatever you have to do but mine is painfull.Engin,I wish i was In Antalya right now.Maybe Bodrum or Cesme.definetly will feel better.I wish I knew there is a dr in Antalya.

Good luck all of you guys and Yeahh .. I can little bit see the light in the tunnel...
My skin tag was right on the anal opening and and still painfull after surgery.If not in the anal opening s I think would be better.One of the reason mine still didnt heal is I have to use bm.Painfull,I havent go outside except my dr app.I just took another porcecet 325 mg.If you ever want to do is this surgey,think again.whats bothering you...look???pain????Please make a good decision.If you have to go to the work right after the surgery,maybe its better to take a vacation...yes i used dermoplast and burned me more.....I cant tell you how you will stuck in the house but maybe yours is going to be painless one.who knows???
Dont forget to drink planty of water,stool softeners,sitzbaths,fibers,vit c and b complex,mutemusil and try to relax....
Good luck dear.
i realy dont have no idea why i'm in so much pain.believe or not my hand is on the area 24-7,trying to sooth the area.yes,skin tags were close to anus and in the anus.Also fissures does this kind of pain.I was put the sleep during the surgery so I dont remember anything,yes snip,cauterize and 40 botox,here I'm..I cant even look at it yet but area still swollen.
Has anyone done this using Harmonic scalpel(radio frequencies) or Laser(ND Yag or any other system)?These systems are the latest systems for hemorrhoid removal and the pain should be less.
I am considering to get it done, but no way using stitches after having read all this.

Ask your Dr. if tags can be removed using one of these 2 systems because tissue cutting is  controlled easily and very little blood so pain is less, or so they say. But first you need to find using these systems.
Thought I'd post some info on this procedure 5 days out, hopefully it'll be insightful for someone:
I had 4 skin tags removed from the anal area(the largest the size of my pinky fingernail) which were irritated constantly & would bleed. I had anesthesia(not general but the shot that knocks you out) & disolvable stitches where the tags were removed.  I had no other work done other than the tags removed.  Day of surgery was not too bad, doctor directed I take pain meds before local anesthesia wore off so the pain med would be on board.  Stayed off my feet as much as possible that day.  2&3 day, soreness & swelling began, used Sitz bath 3 times a day plus warm shower after BM(hand held shower head +)  go easy with the TP, use the shower to cleanse the area. By mid day of day three, I used ibuprofin for pain mgmt, I used the prescription pain med @ night. Warm water really does ease the pain/discomfort, I swear I'm sprouting flippers I've spent so much time there.  Day 4 & 5 haven't needed any pain meds during the day, still take prescription at night as it seems swelling & pain is far worse by bedtime.  BM hurts and bleeds, normal I'm told by by doc(colon/rectal specialist).  Advice to anyone, stool softners a couple days before your surgery, continue fiber rich diet.  You don't want to OD on fiber however, you need to make sure all is working smooth & your not straining at all.  Paranoia does weird things to your bowel so make the process easy.  Cotton underwear & loose fitting clothing helps, you don't want things rubbing against an already tender area.  Cleanliness is a must and as I said before, the warm water helps a bunch.  Good food & vitamins are good for you no matter what.  This surgery hurts, I cannot imagine it would not considering the delicate part of your body that's affected.  I'm taking it day by day and reminding myself that it is going to take a while to fully heal.  Would do it again as of today.  Definitely worse than an episiotomy for me.  Good luck!
My surgery is booked for the 29th of this month. My doc is letting me decide whether to do all three of my skin tags at once or one at a time giving me recoop between. What do you think?
Thanx
Another update for those who may be interested:
Day 6 & 7 plateau of sorts, no real improvement decided to try an old remedy and started using an Epsom salts bath twice a day for about 15 minutes(couple inches of water in the tub + two cups of salts) wow!  what a difference, soreness is 100% better, swelling is much better too.  Time I'm sure plays a role in this progress but the baths couldn't hurt either.  Day 8 & 9 are even better, I go back for a recheck tomorrow & here's hoping all is healing well.  Bleeding & discharge is at a minimum and bleeding only after BM.  Still eating healthy, fiber suplements & stool softners(backing off on the latter now) and continuing to be careful.  
To "looking4youradvice":  I cannot imagine doing this a few @ a time but that's just me and I can see by reading all of the post here, everyone's recovery, condition, pain threshold, etc. are all different..I'd follow your own history for recovery & you docs advice.
Yes, I used a specialist/center for the surgery and actually went for a follow up today(10 day).  The first few days were the roughest for me, however, they were controlled easily with pain meds(prescribed) &  ibuprofin and finally nothing at all by day 5. Truth is I took half of the pain med dosage prescribed.  I have not found that the pain stopped my daily activities, I've got a two year old who doesn't slow down but I doubt you'll be wanting to bowl the week of your surgery or do squats!  I did a little upper body workout around day 4 but decided I could wait for my check up to make sure I was healing ok, I was a little paranoid of popping stitches out..I was very careful and found just getting off my feet within the 1st week helped with the discomfort.  I did seem to have more aching & swelling @ the end of the day, and still do to a lesser degree.  Doc says I'm still swollen and will be sore for a while.  That doesn't surprise me either it's such a sensitive area!  My stitches have not disolved completely and I believe that tends to irritate too.  I used a panty liner for about a week but never had any heavy bleeding or discarge even from day one and within a few days, it was just right after a BM.  I really think it depends on how your body heals and giving yourself a good head start on trying to heal by resting when you can and eating good food to keep all moving along.  Location of the skin tags has to be relevent too(mine were right at and just inside the anal area)as I'd think if they were further away from that vital area, the pain & recovery would have to be quicker because it's not irritated everyday by a BM.....
Hope this helps, ask away if you have questions, I know I learned allot here before my procedure & am so glad I happened upon this site.

Good luck with your consultation.   I can say I wish I would have done this a long time ago, for me, it's been worth the discomfort, etc., I still can't believe I waited over two years.  Don't chicken out!  Just get all your questions answered, make sure your comfortable with your doc and be realistic on your recovery.  Good luck!
Wanted to post a quick note on my 14 day post surgery:
Swelling is about 90% gone.  Pain/discomfort and has been nil for about 5 days & I returned to truly normal activity about 5 days ago as well.  I still have stitches which aren't completely disolved and I believe once they are gone, I'll be at 100% with no swelling.  Glad I had this procedure & just wished I would have done it sooner.

Bummed1-Good luck with your procedure, sounds like you/your doc have a plan.  Be patient & take care of yourself.

Happy holidays!
Hi everyone,

I just posted on another thread, but I had my skin tag removed yesterday. Although I am a little uncomfortable, on the whole I feel WONDERFUL! I'm a 26 year old female and was ridiculously embarrassed about these... So, I decided to go and do something about them. When I spoke to my doctor about them, she had asked if they were itchy at all. I had answered they weren't, but I was a little worried, because I live in a foreign country. I only speak English and my doctors first language is Korean.

Because I'd visited the forum a few times before the procedure and heard about others horror stories, I was really nervous about the pain factor. I was so nervous that I actually threw up in the bathroom. But, I went ahead with it and I'm so glad that I did because I feel human again!! My doctor cauterized mine off and yes I had stitches, but my  first bowel movement was a breeze! I had actually prepared myself with a towel to bite on if the pain was excruciating - BUT IT WASN'T!!! I feel fantastic! I walked outta the bathroom laughing and congratulating myself!

My doctor had warned me that 40% of people who have this surgery end up in excruciating pain for weeks (which I thought was really high and prayed to God, that I didn't fall into this group)
My Doctor asked me questions on my pain tolerance. I have a low pain tolerance and tend to exaggerate and be a diva. I take nurofen for my period pains! However the pain I'm currently in is very tolerable. If anything it just feels like someone is pinching me and holding it. Its bearable but also a little sensitive down there, so I've been tip toe-ing rather than my normal paced walk.

The procedure took 20mins to complete. Infact I went through MORE pain going through the anaesthetic, than what I'm having now. I don't know what she used, but man I thought my arm was gonna rot off. Ouch!! Anyway, if you're thinking about getting  yours removed I suggest you talk to the doctor, read the forums and find out what works best for you. I've been doing nothing but drinking water, prune juice,  pear juice and soft foods. I plan on doing this for the next couple of days until I've gotten the all clear from the doctor.  I've also been having salt water sitz baths  twice a day and applying sulgan 99 (hemorrhoid cream) to prevent infection . The doctor said she could prescribe me pain meds, but advised that they could possibly cause constipation. I opted to stick with tylenol/nurofen if the pain got too much, but I haven't had to use anything.

I honestly believe that if you want them removed, do it. Yes, there is pain involved, but its only for a while. Talk to your doctor about the options available to you and also have a think about your pain tolerance.  

Regret my surgery. I still have what looks like swollen skin tags after having external hemorrhoids removed. I had a thrombose develop right after surgery and now the area is swollen. The doctor removed the thrombose last week (surgery was 11/8) I couldn't deal with any cutting and needles right away and tryed to soak it smaller.

Still have at times pain, some wetness and at times a sensation of fullness (is the best way to describe it). Do others have any of these symptoms.

I feel I'm taking one step forward and two back.
I had external hemorroids (hemorrhoids). I have had them in some capacity for the past 14 years. I had 1 internal one banded about 5 years ago (no problem). I went for a colonoscopy 6 years ago and the gastro guy said they were not too bad. I went for another colonoscopy  last year and he said they had increased and I could see a colo-rectal surgeon to get them removed if I wanted to.  I wasn't always in severe pain but they bothered me at times and I thought I should do it before they worsen more (I'm in my 40's)

I was told I'd be ok in a few days. I developed a thrombose (blood clot and swelling) between 2 of the stitches and it was painful. I now have a big swollen area from the remainder of the thrombose...he took out the blood clot but there is now extra skin). I also have the small extra skin tags two of the three which are still somewhat swollen). I also have some areas which are very sensitive and feel almost raw (very small areas but they hurt). I have a little wetness in the center of the area (but no blood). I also have a guess a sensation of fullness (not truly pain but could it be the feeling of swelling down there). I asked my surgeon if anything prolapsed and he assured me no.

I just didn't think healing could take so long and I hope to fully heal. I just am nervous I won't.
I guess want to find out if anyone feels some pressure at the rectum while healing after external hemorrhoid surgery. I know I don't have to go to the bathroom but I have a sensation down there. Is that just swelling???

Please let me know. My surgery was 11/8

Please let me know. My surgery was 11/8
I believe my symptoms that I discussed above are related to the post hemorroid skin tags that are now left. That's why I am in this forum. Not only do I have skin tags left, but also the new skin tag from the thrombose which happened after surgery (between two stitches a thrombose (not another hemorroid formed after surgery and had to be removed). I believe all the current symptoms are related to the pain and pressure of the healing site and tenderness of the skin tags.

If you can suggest another forum I have yet to find it for post. Thanks! It seems that others are discussing other symptoms related to the after effects of surgery here so I thought this was the right place. Thanks!

I'm having mine removed on Monday ... can anyone tell me when they allow you to resume sexual relations ??
I had an external hemorrhoid removed, it was not so painful as i was numbed first but the bleeding was so intense that i pasted out at the counter getting my pain meds... the DR told me it would heal faster than if left alone and that is why i had the procedure... he was wrong.. my hemorrhoids usually lasted 2 weeks when i got them.. this recovery time was at least 3 weeks of excruciating  pain!

NOW i have a skin tag left over and it is still hurting... and not to mention ugly. Im not sure what to do now..
The Center for Collerectal Health is where i went.. they left me with a gaping open hole that was oozing and painful...I want to another doctor and he said he usually recommends for external hemorrhoids that the patient go home and let it heal on its own and come in at a later date to do banding internally... i had one of these done...it is sooo fast and only little discomfort for an hour or so... after that, i noticed nothing.. only a little bleeding after a day or so when the internal hemorrhoid fell off as i was going to the bathroom

DO not opt for removal of external.. much easier to go home and let it heal on its own!! this will also avoid those damn tags

I really want to have my medium sized skin tag removed BUT my doctor scarred the hell out of me by saying that i could get an infection and DIE!  I know he is referring to ecoli...i have posted about this b4 and i just feel so frustrated b/c i want this ugly looking piece of skin gone and i don't care abou the pain too much....i don't want to die over this ....!  Does anyone else worry about post-surgery fatal infections??  Is this a reason to not have it done??  Please Answer...i am so sick of this thing but now i feel too scarred he said "frankly you could die...""
I had a few skin tags removed on Monday. My doctor numbed the area then used a laser to remove the tags. The numbing part hurt but after I didn't feel a thing. It lasted @15-20 minutes. I've been taking a pain med at night for the pain. It really hurts after I have a bowel movement. It stings and it's a constant pain. After, I take a bath and that helps a lot with the pain. I hardly feel any pain now (day 4 after surgery) except when I have a bowel. My procedure cost $925. Very Expensive! I just tried to bill my Ins Co. so I hope they will cover it. My primary Doctor said he wouldn't remove it and it would have to be cosmetic. There is a large swollen tag hanging out of my butt. I hope that it goes away or I will be really upset. How long will it take for it to look completely normal????????  
Just posting  my 4 week update since surgery....all is back to normal 100%(actually was @ 100% about a week ago).  No pain and all looks "normal".  So glad that I had this procedure done!  Good luck to everyone who is considering or going through recovery right now.
so, i had no idea others suffered from these tags.  

im having them removed this thursday.  i have one, that seems small when compared to the other sizes mentioned in previous posts. and a very small one that is just a hard little bump opposite the tag.  im assuming i had a hemrroid (sp) and this is whats left; used to bleed a lot with stools...years ago.  no more.  just this tag.  had it about 2.5 years.

my problem with it: the sex.  im a gay guy.  i dont want my bf getting grossed out; so i don't have intercourse.  i had it once; hurt like hell...not to mention how tremendously self-conscious it makes me feel.  im so excited to actually have a normal sex life again.

anyway, just wanted to throw that story out there.  im young, healthy, in grad school and i had no idea how common this problem is.  im betting like all of you; you wouldn't figure any of us had this annoying flap hanging around:)  your stories have made me feel more comfortable about going ahead with removal!  so excited!  wahoo!!!!!!!!!
Wow, finding this forum has made me feel immensely better!  I never knew this was such a common problem.  I've had a large (1/2 growing to an inch now) skin tag since I was around 9 years old after I went through a horrible digestive problem.  I'm 21 now and finding this had made me feel so much better about asking my doctor about removal.  It's painful and irritating and I hate living with it, especially since it's been getting worse over the past year or so.

A query: Cost.
I saw up on this forum that people have paid without insurance up to $1000+.  I do have insurance, and I can probably convince my doctor that it's not solely cosmetic because of the immense irritation, but I'm a student so I don't have much.  What should I ask my doctor about when I visit?
I too have a tag that isn't as big as described above but I'm dying to get rid of it.. :)
Keep us posted
Good luck :)
I have a tag that's a bit annoying and gets irritated (had hem. surgery in Nov) will see the Dr. in Feb for my final visit. Wanted to know Runner how it goes on Thurs. Is it an office procedure or in hospital.
Good luck.
DanO
Hey...I am getting two skin tags removed on the 21st and I am scared to death! Can someone please recommend to me a good stool softener to use? I have read some real horror stories about taking a bowel movement after surgery and I dont want to run into that problem. Thanks for your help!
is anyone out there?????????????
I'm probably have the most experience with my bottom than all y'all!

Last January I went to see a colon specialist regarding my internal hemorroids (hemorrhoids) and he suggested surgery.  I didn't do my homework and naively agreed to it.  The hemoroids were mild and I was able to manually push them back in.  It was only during BM did they seem to show up.

Well, he pretty much butchered me up and left me with huge skin tags from all the cutting he did.  It took me a full year to recover and I was literally in tears after 6 months.  It looked 500% worse than what it was before.

But the skin tags were simply unacceptable especially from all the pain I've endured and the sex I've obstained from due to pure embarrassment.  I couldn't believe I just did this to myself.

So I did my homework this time and found center for colorectal health in December to get rid of the tags.  She said the first surgery I had was unneccessary and that I could've had banding done which is nearly painless!  Plus, when she looked inside, there was still a hemorroid left that he didn't remove.  I was PISSED.  We banded that internal one and she got to work with two of the skin tags.  Local aneasthetic (that is the WORST part, but gone in seconds) and no stiches) I have about 4 from that damn surgery and she is only comfortable with doing two tags at a time.

The only difference I did compared to everyone else here is that I went on the Lemonade Detox the day before the tag removal for a number of reasons:

1) My experience with every BM from the first surgery was so painful, every mouthful of food equaled pain.  And since I've been wanting to cleanse myself anyway and have heard unbelievable results in health and skin with this detox, I thought it would be perfect timing.

2)I told my doctor of my plans and she said that was fine.  The only thing she was worried about was how Viocodin would effect me if I'm not taking it with food.  I had issues with the drug before and would get stomach pains.  I found that a protein shake really helped with the Viocodin on this diet, even though you're not supposed to have anything else but lemons, cayenne and maple syrup.  Oh well, gotta customize.

As a result?  I healed unbelieveably fast!  I think it's all the Vitamin C in the lemons or something.  My skin was radiant and I was very hydrated, which is key.   And I barely pooped for almost 2 weeks.  Just flushed out toxins. The only downfall was that sometimes the cayenne can give you a "ring o fire", which is very owy for this kind of thing.  So I just cut down on that part of the recipe. When I went back to the doc 2 weeks later, I was completely healed, but still swollen.  The swelling came down pretty quick after that.

But there are still 2 tags left.  So I just just got it done yesterday and these were much much bigger ones than before.  I'm also doing an all liquid diet this time, but not the Lemon detox.  I got really tired of the lemons and figured I can still reap all the benefits of an all veg/fruit detox this way. This second tag removal experience so far is so much worse that the first tag removal.  I'm in much more pain and the swelling is worrisome. It's so much worse than last time!  But then again, these are much bigger and it's only my first day after....

srp68 - I'm sitting in a sitz bath right now with your brew of camomile and salt.  I REALLY hope it works.  I have to admit, I look forward to the baths....

So having gone through THREE surgeries, the results are still inconclusive.  The first was unnecessary and caused the huge tags to develop and now I have to go through two more to get rid of them.  The doc said you can possibly "chase" these tags forever.  Because the tags develop due to injury to that area, the more surgeries you have to remove them, the more they pop up due to removing them!  What the hell?!  I really hope that won't be the case for me.  

In any case, I highly recommend a juice diet so there's no pooping involved and still get your healing vitamins.  I'll keep you posted on my recovery.  Hopefully it will be as successful as the last one....fingers crossed....
Ask your doc about Colace.  It's actually a detergent stool softener, but I liked it much better than the fiber stuff you add to water or food.  Worked better for me anyway....
I am having my two skin tags removed tomorrow morning. I am consuming only clear liquids today because I am petrified of my first BM. I hope that this whole process is not as bad as others experiences that I have read. Ahh I am so scared! Wish me luck :/
good luck needadvice99, it's totally survivable.  :)

My swelling has come down considerably and I think it's due to horse chestnut, an herbal remedy that I desperately took last night.  Should've done it sooner, I forgot I had it!  Swelling came down to HALF the size!  Ask you doctor about it.  I think there are topical versions of it too, but you shouldn't do topical and oral together, could be too strong together.  You can find it at the health store.

Try to have as much "live" vitamins too.  It does amazing things for your body while it's healing and so good for your skin.  Live vitamins are only there a few moments after juicing your vegetables and fruit so drink it as fast as you can once you juice.  Think of it as a shot to health.  Plus, it'll give you some calories for energy while you're not eating.  So do it as often as you're hungry.  Not eating is not as easy as it sounds, but you'll soon realize how painful every bite can equal to.  Discipline!  I attacked a papaya yesterday and some chips.  Even that little of food was very owy today.

If you have to BM, do it in the warm sitz bath.  It's pretty gross, but you get used to it and trust me, you'll want to.  It relaxes your muscles and gives it moisture during the process. Dump it out and refill, then do your 15 minutes of soaking.  Get a book, it gets boring sometimes.  Then shower or bath after. Keep the area dry with a little gauze gently stuck between your buns and change out throughout the day.  :)

You'll be fine.  Make plenty of time for rest.
Here's some good juice recipes.  Use as much organic fruits and veg as possible.
http://blog.worldvillage.com/health/juice_fasting_recipes_for_your_detox_diet.html
thank you for all the advice. im still very nervous though..but i am ready to get these disgusting tags off for good! i will keep you updated. how long do you think it will take for me to get back to normal activities..for example, exercising?
Depends on your tolerance level for pain.  The last tag removal surgery I had, went pretty smoothely and I was working out again about a full week later.  But no hardcore squats. :)

This time however, I don't see myself working out again for maybe two weeks.  I'm in much more pain and there's a whole lot more swelling this time.  But things are taking a turn for the better, especially today.  The swelling has come down quite a bit, but painful enough for me to still take Vicondin.

You've got a pretty good idea of what's coming, so just go through it day by day.  Remember vitamins are crucial!  It's really speeds up recovery time.  No joke.  Lot of aqua too.  

I'll keep you posted too.  :)  Cheers to your surgery tomorrow and good luck with your juice diet!  That's not an easy thing to do either....
I am home from surgery and am very sore, but I know the first day is always the worst. The painkillers dont seem to be working, but I'm sure that they will eventually kick in. The thing annoying me the most is the piece of gauze between my butt! All i know is that my hotub is calling my name...
LUCKY!!  I would kill for a hotub....

My recovery is coming along so slow...I start a new job tomorrow and I was hoping the swelling would go down to a more tolerable size, but it's not.  Sigh...it's going to be a long road to recovery.
hello,

i am glad I found this site.....Ive had a chronic fissure for about 5 yrs now, and this last year has been hell with a fissure casuign apin everyday.  I va also had a skin tag.  The fissure seesm to hae gotten better now, but teh tag still bothers mea little.  Id otn care about how it looks, but the slight nagging pain bothers me......am petrified of having surgery though.....read somewhere that someone had a kint ag removed and it casued stenosis and nwo she can only do liquid poops........am not sure what to do.....
Hi ask your doctor for a script for Anusol.  It works wonders applied twice a day.  Can only get it by script though.  I had surgery at end of november, wasn't healing quite fast due to radiation i had for anal cancer.  Everything was good except for the swelling asked doc for something he gave me script and by next day swelling was gone.
thanks for the advice..i will have to call my surgeon about that. i am feeling ok right now..havent had a BM yet though..dreading that one. hopefully it wont happen tomorrow haha. havent eaten much today so im praying!
I had the anal skin tag removal done back in September and I'm still experiencing a lot of severe pain from it.  On days when I have a BM it can either be a dull, aching pain, or severe pain that lasts for several days and makes it painful to bend down, or move.  I'm currently living in Korea and had the surgery done here.  The doctor told me that it would take 6 to 12 months to recover fully (I guess that means 6 to 12 months before I'm pain free)  Has anyone had a similar experience?  It's getting close to the 6th month, and I'm in pretty excrutiating pain as I write this.
Yes, when I had my hemrroidectomy, which is basically the same thing, I was in pain for almost a full year.  But I didn't take care of it as well as I should have and believe I could've healed faster if I paid more attention to nutrition and lots of fiber.

My last experience with tag removal wasn't so bad because I pretty much didn't eat for two weeks and had lots of water and fresh juice.  Vitamins are crucial to healing and I pretty much overloaded on it.  But this second tag removal has been very painful and I'm  worried that it will take just as long to heal as my first surgery.  I really hope not.  It's like crapping razor blades!

Sitz baths are essential too.  Are you taking stool softeners still?
I wanted to let everyone know that I am on day two of recovery and feel fine, basically no pain at all. I had three skin tags removed and my doctor said the biggest wound I have is the size of a pea, so she didnt not stitch or cauterize them. I am off the pain meds and had a few BM today and they were all ok because I have been taking fiber and stool softeners. I cant believe they told me I needed to take a week off! It is only day two, but I can only imagine my recovery getting even better, not worse. I know that others have not had a great recovery, but if you are considering getting skin tags removed GO FOR IT!! I wish I would have a had these ugly things removed a long time ago!
Yeah, I think part of the problem was that I haven't been able to follow the doctor's suggestions completely.  Since I'm living overseas, (and in a very crappy studio apartment), I don't have a bath tub.  So, I didn't start taking sitz baths regularly until a few days ago.  I'm not on stool softeners, and haven't been since around the time of the surgery 6 months ago.  Passing hard stools, or being constipated has been part of my biggest problem.  I consciously try to eat more fruit than usual, and drink more water, but I still haven't noticed any results.  

What kind of foods did you eat during recovery, and which foods did you try to avoid?  And thanks so much for posting.  It's nice to talk to someone who has experienced the same thing.  I'm always embarrassed when I try to explain to my friends or coworkers why I'm not feeling well.
I know, I just say that I'm having problems with digestion.  It is hard to talk about it, in fact this is the only place I vent!

I have to admit that I like to drink with my friends a couple times a week and the alcohol definitely causes really hard stools.  Even if I take stool softeners sometimes.  Coffee is a diarhetic (sp) which makes you want to "go" but if that doesn't happen sometimes it causes hard poop too.  Sigh..I love coffee and alcohol.  But gotta be with a bit more reserved with those.

Apples are high in fiber and eliminate well.  I like prunes, but for some reason they make me gassy and that's just uncomfortable.  But that's me, might not be for you.  Of course lots of salads and raw veggies and fruit.  Raw veggies are really good for your system.  Overcooked veggies don't do much for nutrition and the fiber is broken down too much.  Red meat can really contribute to hard stool too.  Booo.

My recovery from this last surgery isn't going that smoothely.  The doctor finally told me about Arnica, a homeopathic cream for swelling and bruising after a full week of intense swelling.  I wish she told me sooner!  It really helped bring down the swelling, but I feel like the damage is already done.  There's a bit of extra skin from all the swelling last week.  Which is pretty much like more skin tags!  The only thing with Arnica is that you're not supposed to put it on broken skin, but I do anyway and it stings...for a long time.  

I really, really hope it all just goes away soon....anyone else have any cures for the swelling?  I'm hurtin'.
Hi all, first of all I found this board six days after having skin tag removal at the Center for Colorectal Health and I wish I had found it sooner!  I think I would have had more piece of mind and knowledge of the procedure before hand.  My procedure consisted of injecting lidocaine and cutting off my rather large tag, then cauterizing it followed by a few dissolvable stitches.  It hurt for about two days but wasn't overly bad.  The first time I went to the bathroom was painful but nothing like I expected it to be and now it's not really bad at all - just a little bleeding and soreness.  I always hop in the shower and wash afterwards so I don't irritate it any further.  I do have one concern that's driving me crazy - whenever I pass gas at any point during the day I have a little fecal matter in my underwear... just a small amount, but this has never happened before.  Is this normal??  It seems as if the stitches made rectum "open" a little to be able to let a little out.  Any advice??  Thanks!!
well im a 38 year old male and had skin tags on my butt hole. I had my first surgery on monday 1st january, like everyone else the op not so painful execpt for the injection. Because mine are attached to my hole the doct needed to inject inside my hole, now that did hurt. i didnt go bm for 2 days as didnt need to, when i went to docs 2 days after op he said all looked ok, yes i have stiches. I said to him how come he didnt get all my tags, he said i will need another op, as he couldnt do all sides of my hole as i would lose muscle. so now i have to go through this **** again, my doc didnt give me pain killers i had to ask 2 days later on my check up. yes he said the pain would be bad as my hole has stiches and tags were big. its now 7 days and pain still there and discharge, tho bleeding has stopped, tho bm very painful passing by stiches. tho am trying to stay off pills now. im scared as have to go to docs tomorrow as he wants to remove my stitches but i still cant touch that area as is too painful. i just use shower i find that best for me, because i still have big tags left i cant see really where my stiches are. im really upset i have to go through this all again and the pain. i really wonder if its worth it, specially as i hear that they can return.
im going to be completely honest..this website scared me so bad! i was petrified to get my two skin tags removed, but finally did it and it was not bad at all. the doctor put me to sleep and then cut them off and did not stitch or cauterize it. it hurt at first, but by day 2 i was honestly completely fine. i could have gone to work if i wanted to. it has been 2 weeks since my surgery and i feel like nothing ever happened, but my butt is normal again and i am so happy. whoever is thinking about getting the surgery, do not go by everyones terrible experiences and get them taken off before they get really big. i am so glad i did it and feel soooo much better!
HELP-well is day 10 for me, alittle less pain today, so i decided to look at what the doctor has done. Well im extremely p.o after all the pain and discomfort i still have a big skin tag now with stitches in it. It looks to me as if he has just cut the tag and stiched the remaining bottom part of the tag. I have today just called him and told him im not happy with this surgery as i know this thing will grow back over time. the whole idea of doing this surgery was to look normal and be able to see my hole again, not be blocked still by ugly tags. To think he told me i needed to ops has he couldnt get them all in one go, now to see what hes done is not picture perfect i feel totally p.o. i even had my partner look who said it looks terrible and is a blotched surgery. great!!!!!!!!!!!!!
my surgery went great..if anyone is in the MD/DE/PA area I can give you her name.
Viewing 1-200 comments: