proliferating pilar cyst

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

proliferating pilar cyst

I just had what was thought a dermoid cyst removed from my head.  The results came back as it being a proliferating trichilemmal cyst and I was sent to a skin cancer surgeon.  I will be having Mohs surgery in 2 weeks to take more skin from the area to make sure all of it is gone.  My dr. is calling it cancer - is it?  And what is the prognosis?  I know there's not a lot of information out there, but thought maybe somebody knows!
Proliferating tricholemmal cyst is also called proliferating pilar tumor. Even though they usually are benign in nature, malignant transformation with local invasion and metastasis has been described. Complete excision with a margin of normal tissue is the mode of treatment. Then the specimen should be sent for histopath analysis.

The prognosis is excellent with complete excision. Local recurrence and metastasis are extremely rare in benign cases. However, in proven malignant cases, metastasis has been suggested to occur in 30% of cases.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.