pubic lice

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

pubic lice

A few days ago i noticed that i have pubic lice (while i was scratching i caught one and i checked on google so Im pretty sure is that).the itching started first around my belly button and after a time on my genitals, i didn't see a doctor, because i can't afford it right now, so i went directly to the pharmacy and ask for help, they give me a shampoo wich contains Permethrin. First I shaved all of the hair, then i treated it with the shampoo. and the next day i saw many dead lice in my underwear, the itching stops and after a wile i didnt notise any more black marks on my underwear and no more dead lice ( i guess you understand what i mean) after 2 days i desidet to treated it again with a lotion wich contains Benzyl benzoate for just in case if they are still alive (I put the lotion for 5-6 hours and then i washed it). Now i dont see any signs that i still have them, no signs on my underwear, and when i look at it i dont see theme any more, the only thing is that from time to time i still feel a little itching (and it may be because of the hair groing back) but im still worried. So the question is it posible to kill the lice with this two treatment, and how can i prevent spreading them to others?
I will be very grateful if i get an answer. I am very very worried!
Thanks very much
Did you do extra housework, washing all the bedding and cleaning the stuffed furniture?  Did you treat the carpet?  You can use diatomaceous earth (sold in garden nurseries) for inside crevices of stuffed furniture and to treat the carpet.  Basically, you would do all the things you would do for head lice in regard to housework.  Make sure to wash all laundry and towels and bedding in the hottest water setting your machines have.  

By the way, doing the treatment I mentioned with the diatomaceous earth for the inside of the furniture and the carpeting will work for all kinds of insects, like fleas.  You don't have to have pets of your own to get fleas.  All it takes is the previous people having had pets and the first day of a heat wave and the smell of your own blood for the eggs which might have been deposited from having pets prior to your living there.  The good things about diatomaceous earth are that it is natural and non-toxic.  You do need to wear a dust mask and keep any or your own pets off of the carpeting until you yourself vacuum about an hour or two after application.  The reason for the dust mask is because it's still very fine particles and can still irritate your sinuses and your lungs.  This is why you would keep your pets off of the carpet you're treating as well.  Once it's been vacuumed, though, everything is fine for you and the pets with the carpeting.

Treating the home in such manner will help prevent a reinfection and will protect others from getting the critters (or other small biting insects for that matter).  With any lice you would also not have any sort of close contact with other people until you're sure they're gone for good.  Don't worry, you'll know.  You're probably correct about any itching you're feeling right now being the sensation of the hair stubble from the pubic hair growing back.  If it still itches, you might just need a little anti itch cream down there for a day or two.  Just ask the pharmacist for the recommendation if you need it.  But, I think you're well on your way of being rid of these critters.  Treating the home just helps ensure that they stay gone.
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers