pubic rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

pubic rash

Hi, I'm a 20 year old male. Recently I noticed a small red rash on my pubic region.  It started out just being very itchy, and I tried very hard not to scratch it, but sometimes it was unbearable. You know how it is.  At that time I hadn't noticed any rash, it was just itchy. My girlfriend and I were both virgins when we started going out and we haven't been with anyone else.  I do shave once in a while and have gotten shaving bumps, but I haven't shaved in a few months. This isn't like that.  It looks like patches of red bumps in a couple of places around the base of my penis.  Today I shaved so I could get a better look at it, and I noticed smaller bumps in the pubic hair, these just looked like shaving bumps, but they were obviously there before I shaved. Could my scratching have caused it in the first place? If so, why was I so itchy?