Dermatology Expert Forum
puffy, red, itchy, hot rash on face

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

puffy, red, itchy, hot rash on face

I am a 26 year old male and I have the following symptoms:

- a red rash on my face (cheeks, nose, a little bit on the forehead, ears, and behind the ears)
- swelling/puffy-ness, primarily in the cheek area, but also my left ear (cheek swelling occurred first, beginning several days ago, then the swollen areas started turning red)
- the rash is itchy and hot to the touch

I experienced something like this once before in November of 2003 and assumed it was an allergic reaction of some sort (even though I have never had allergies previously) and did not see a doctor.  The Nov 2003 rash was worse than what I have now (both the swelling and redness were greater).  The Nov 2003 rash went away after a couple of weeks.

I have uploaded pictures of my condition (both from Nov 2003 and now) to a website and would be grateful if you could take a look and let me know what you think I should do.  However, I would prefer not to post the link on a publicly accessible forum -- could I send it to you privately?  Please contact me via e-mail at ***@****, and I will send you the link to the pictures (that e-mail is just a temp/throw-away one for me, so posting it publicly like this isn't a problem).

Thank you.
I think from your description that you have hives (medical term: urticaria.)  These are itchy, red, and swollen, just as you describe.  They also come and go for no particular reason.  Though often referred to as "allergic," they usually aren't, at least to anything specific.  Treatment is manly antihistamines and topical anti-itch remedies.  For proper diagnosis and treatment, you really need to see a doctor.  Bring the pics with you, in case the swellings aren't full-blown when you go.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
The problem had been getting worse for the last couple of days, but when I woke up this morning, I found it either stayed the same or got a little better overnight (maybe a little less swelling/redness).  However, it seems to have also spread to an area of my upper chest.  I have uploaded pictures of this to the website.

(I have been using Benadryl for the past day and a half - both pill form and cream)
Truth is, I can't tell what you have.  The involvement of your upper chest suggests a relationship with sunlight or other light.  You really need to see a doctor for evaluation and tests.  Please make arrangements to do so.

Dr. Rockoff
Mastocytosis. Ask for a referral to a dermatologist asap.

I am not a doctor but based on the other comments and what you've said, it's worth looking into.
A related discussion, face rash was started.
I am 20 yrs old. I am suffering from these symptoms:

1. At first, both my ears became itchy and reddish.
W
2. Then, it started to spread to my face. My face became reddish like the look of rashes all over except that there is just a bit to my forehead.
3. The worst case is that it begin to swollen especially around my eyes and cheekbone.
4. Now, the swollennes is getting worst that I can't even open my eyes widely.

It's been a week since it started. I went to a clinic, then they suggest me to go to emergency. However, the emergency told ne to consult a dermatologist because they are not sure what it is. However, I need to have an appointment first in able to see a derma. Can you please suggest me some tips to make my look less worst while waiting for a derma? And give me an idea what it is?

2. Then, it started to spread to my face. My face became reddish like the look of rashes all over except that there is just a bit to my forehead. It also feels ruff when I touch it.

A related discussion, skin was started.