punch biopsy
Hi Dr.,
I went to the dermatologist today with a suspicious mole on my leg.  I am a 54 year old female and very healthy.  I never go out in the sun for long periods of time and use sunscreen everyday (spf 70).  I did have basal cell on my nose 10 years ago and had Moe's surgery to remove it.  I have been clean ever since.

When I showed this mole to my derm today it measured it at 5 mm, asymmetrical, no irregular borders and blackish.  I cannot remember ever seeing this mole before.  It actually may be less than a year old.  But it could be 40 years old.  I just can't remember seeing it before.  The doc said that it is probably one of those funny looking moles.  He did a punch biopsy to be safe.  I have 2 questions.  First does the punch biopsy remove the whole mole?  Second if this mole is new does that increase the chances of melanoma.  I have lots of brown moles on my body that are fine

Thanks.  
The doctor has done punch biopsy because it is to be confirmed whether there are any malignant changes or not.Since you have had a history of basal cell carcinoma,so it is important to find out whether there is any malignant change.This can only by done after biopsy and examination.It does not remove the complete lesion.

Regarding melanoma,it has an irregular border, is asymmetrical,uneven color and increasing in size. If you notice changes in the mole's/mark’s color, height, size or shape, you should have a dermatologist evaluate it. You also should have it checked if it bleeds, oozes, itches, appear scaly, or become tender or painful.
I hope it helps.Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts.Kind regards.