purple rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

purple rash

Over the past few days I have developed a rash (or what seems to be a rash) over my abdomen that extends up to my armpit, only on the left side of my body.

The rash (?) first looked like a red splotchy streak that extended from my waistline up to just below my breast. A sunburn seemed to be the most probable explanation as I had been in the sun, directly exposed, for 3 days prior. I put aloe on the affected area that night.

Since then (3 days), however, the redness has transformed into dark purple streaks, with four main areas that look like either small burns or bugbites that are even darker in color. This rash extended further vertically and broader horizontally than the red rash that came first, and now, as I mentioned earlier, has extended above my right breast and around my right armpit. The darker areas that I thought looked like burns are extremely tender to the touch, whereas the rest is simply itchy.

After noticing the change in color I decided to go to the emergency room to make sure this wasn't contagious or infected, and the rash stumped all of the doctors. The best they could say was that it was a severe case of contact dermatitis. The only thing that I may have come into contact to that could have affected such a precise side of my body could have been an underwater rock that had periwinkles covering portions of it.

I am currently taking prednisone as well as allegra (since I am allergic to pseudoephedrine).

Not sure if anyone out there has had anything similar to these symptoms, or could maybe direct me in a route that will lead to quicker healing. My doctor said I shouldn't go to the beach for the rest of the summer due to the rash, but that won't be happening!
Apart from contact dermatitis, shingles should be ruled out. The first sign is usually a tingling feeling, itchiness, or stabbing pain on the skin. After a few days, a rash appears as a band or patch of raised dots on the side of the trunk or face. The rash develops into small, fluid-filled blisters which begin to dry out and crust over within several days. When the rash is at its peak, symptoms can range from mild itching to extreme and intense pain.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.