raised bumps and itching on skin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

raised bumps and itching on skin

Well, I am usually not itchy unless I touch my skin. Once I touch it or pick at a rough spot it starts to itch, or it doesn't itch at all. The one thing that puzzles me are the raised bumps on my skin. Wherever I touched my skin or scratched at, there will be raised bumps. Not in any particular shape either. Sometimes I won't even scratch at my skin and there will be a raised bump on my hand someplace in a weird shape. I don't understand this at all?

Another thing is I will randomly touch a spot say.. the side of my nose or my upper lip, and it will turn red and it'll be inflamed and kinda tingle. It goes away after a little while though. I have never had any issues like this before either. I'm 20 and thin, doctor always tells me I'm healthy as a horse when I go in for a checkup or to ask about symptoms.
It can be due to dermatographism. Dermatographism can be caused by stress, tight or abrasive clothing, watches, glasses, energetic kissing, heat, cold, or anything that causes stress to the skin. It can be treated by antihistamines or cromoglicate and sometimes steroids, as they prevent the histamine from causing the reaction. As the underlying cause of dermographism is not known, it can last for many years without relief.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers