rash and discoloration

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

rash and discoloration

For the last several months I have had blotchy areas on my back and shoulders where there is less color than the surrounding areas. The light areas just don't tan and the normal areas do. These lighter areas are getting more numerous and often larger. In fact it seems to be spreading. It looks like I had a sunburn and peeled but this isn't the case. What is even more strange is that now I have a rash on my back and shoulders too. The rash appears ONLY in the older light areas. The rash looks like little red pimples. I'm quite confused as to what is wrong or what to do. I have started to wonder if it some type of fungal infection and started putting lotrimin on it. Any suggestions?

Ruth

This sounds like a heat rash or milaria , though nothing can be said with surety without having a look at the lesions.

'Miliaria (miliaria rubra, sweat rash or prickly heat) is a skin disease marked by small and itchy rashes. Miliaria is a common ailment in hot and humid conditions, such as in the tropics and during the summer season. '

'The prevention and treatment of miliaria primarily consists of controlling heat and humidity so that sweating is not stimulated. Measures may involve treating a febrile illness; removing occlusive clothing; limiting activity; providing air conditioning; or, as a last resort, having the patient move to a cooler climate.'

You could read more about the condition at the following links -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miliaria

and

http://www.emedicine.com/DERM/topic266.htm

Let us know if you need any other information and post us about how you are doing.

Regards.