rash/edema
I suddenly got severe edema in my feet and lower legs.  On the second day a bright red rash (looks like a bad sunburn but isn't)  appeared on my upper ankle.  On the third day I began taking furosemide.  The edema is getting better but the rash has spread almost all the way around my lower leg and is very sensitive to the touch.  There is also some red coloring appearing on the outer side of my foot and small toe.  What could this be?

Do you have any underlying heart or kidney problems?

With regards to your edema, have you been experiencing this for quite some time already?

I suggest that you have this assessed by your physician.

Are there any varicosities present in the area?

A primary differential for this will be stasis dermatitis.Another thing to consider here is a venous ulcer. Stasis dermatitis appears as a dry itchy rash over the area of edema.A venous ulcer may present as a red rash that may blanch when palpated.The rash usually overlies areas with varicosities and usually involves the area of the inner ankles.

A consult with an internist is necessary.A duplex scan of the extremities may help determine the patency of the vessels. However, a physical examination may readily ascertain the diagnosis.