rash from sun

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

rash from sun

My daughter is eight, and she went on a field trip at school, and was in the sun all day.  This was a week ago.  Since then she has had this red leopard shaped rash.  It seems to go a way a little bit when she is out of the sun.  We were driving and the part on here leg that is getting sun from the window made here leg break out in that rash.  it doesn't seem to be raised, but it is all over in the areas that get exposed.  Does anyone know what this may be?
Tags: sun, rashs
  • Itchy, Blistery, Rash (5 replies):
    I consistently get a itchy, red, blistery rash after sun...[more]
  • Sun Allergy. (2 replies):
    Hello , My name is Mélanie and I believe I have...[more]
  • Sun rash (1 replies):
    For about 10 years now, I develop rashes when I am out i...[more]
  • Sun rash (1 replies):
    I think I have sun rash. Maybe I've had something simil...[more]
  • Sun Rash (1 replies):
    I get a red itchy rash on my arms and hands from the sun...[more]
I cannot confirm anything without examination but it sounds like solar urticaria.

It is the development of hives minutes after exposure to the sun, which resolve in less than 1 hour.

Ask your daughter to apply a good sunscreen with minimum spf 30 atleast half an hour before going out in the sun.She can take non-sedating antihistamines such as Cetirizine or Loratadine(Claritin) when the rash appears. Short courses of oral cortisone or steroids are taken for short periods (one to three days) to settle more severe symptoms.She may take Vitamin C along with the prescribed treatment. Vitamin C is a general anti-allergy supplement. Also apply calamine lotion and a mild steroid cream like dermacort on the rash.

If the symptoms persist, then you can consult a dermatologist.Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how your daughter is doing or if you have any additional queries.Kind regards.

Avatar_dr_f_tn

For some people, their skin can be very sensitive to the sun. Exposure to sunlight results in a rash which may recur throughout the summer. A sun rash or solar dermatitis is seen as small, reddish blisters or small or large spots in areas that have been exposed to sunlight.  This rash usually appears after minutes' or hours' exposure to the sun and can be very itchy. This  is commonly seen in children and young women and tends to be recurrent.  It is important to avoid the direct sunlight when it is most intense around midday and early afternoon.  Keep in the shade and  wear appropriate clothing (sun hats, sunglasses with proper UV protection,etc).  A  sunscreen with a high sun protection factor (SPF) is also recommended.

Take care and regards.