rash from swimming

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

rash from swimming

Why would a child start having a rash from swimming in a salt water pool, all of a sudden? This is not the first time swimming in this pool.

Actually has a little swelling around rash.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Skin problems brought about by swimming in pools are usually caused by moisture loss, bacterial infections, or from the chlorine in the pool. Moisture loss can cause dry skin, eczema, and red, itchy, chapped, blistery skin. Bacterial infections, such as those caused by the bacterium Pseudomonas aeruginosa, often cause red, bumpy, itchy rashes. Treatment includes staying out of the contaminated water, pool water sanitation and  maintenance procedures to rid the pool of the bacteria. If the rash persists, it is good to see your doctor for proper evaluation and management. Take care and keep us posted.
This has happened for the past two years.  We are in the pool all summer.  My eight year old daughter her breasts appear to be chapped and red.  She complains that it hurts and it looks like it does.  This has had happened the past two summers.  What can I do to prevent this?