rash-itchy,sore and oozy

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

rash-itchy,sore and oozy

hi,
I don't know if this could be just a simple rash or something more serious.   I have had a rash right  between my butt cheeks for a few months now.  I have some samples of a cortisone ointment here at home and it does relieve my itching and soreness.  However I now have the same rash under my arms.. I'ts large, red, and sometimes it oozes clear liquid. When that happens it burns.    Sometimes I can't sleep because of the itch.  
Help??????
From the symptoms it sounds like intertrigo. An intertrigo is an inflammation (rash) of the body folds. It most commonly occurs due to bacterial, viral or fungal infection. An intertrigo usually appears red and raw-looking, and may also itch, ooze, and be sore.

Please keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical zinc oxide cream like Sudocrem, Desitin are very helpful(apply with a paper towel and not directly with hands).Application of mild steroid cream like dermacort also helps. For the itching please take some over the counter antihistaminic like benadryl or Claritin. In case the symptoms persist then antifungals may be needed. Please consult a dermatologist in that case. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.