rash near vagina/rectum

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

rash near vagina/rectum

I have this rash that starts near my vagina and stretches maybe an inch and a half toward the rectum. I've had this for a few months. Its hard not to scratch it, and because of it, a scab has formed. My mom, who is a nurse, said it was probably just a rash from bad hygiene, gave me desitin, and I've been applying it for a few days now. The scab is gone, but its still like a hot pink color. Is this something to worry about? Should i just wait a few more days?  It doesn't come and go, and i am in a relationship with someone who has only had sex with me, and vice versa.
Usually topical treatments will take at least 10 days to heal the skin of its condition.  If the condition persists or worsens after 10 days of application, then it's time to see a doctor for a more aggressive treatment, topical or oral.  It may be associated with jock itch, which is caused by excess moisture and found in between folds of skin, like the buttocks and thigh area.  Keeping the skin clean and dry before applying the cream should help.  Hope you find relief soon!!
From the symptoms it looks like fungal infection or intertrigo. An intertrigo is an inflammation (rash) of the body folds.It most commonly occurs due to bacterial,viral or fungal infection. An intertrigo usually appears red and raw-looking, and may also itch, ooze, and be sore.

Please keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical zinc oxide cream like Sudocrem, Desitin are very helpful(apply with a paper towel and not directly with hands).Application of mild steroid cream like dermacort also helps. For the itching please take some over the counter antihistaminic like benadryl or Claritin. In case the symptoms persist then antifungals may be needed. Please consult a dermatologist in that case.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.