Dermatology Expert Forum
rash on chest

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

rash on chest

It fist started with a pimple like sore on my penis.  The sore become larger and puss came out.  The it remained open in the middle for a couple of weeks and was hard. it seemed like a syphilis sore. The sore cleared up and left a hole like scare. Then a couple of weeks later I began experiencing itching and burning on my anis, penis, and scrotum.  The itching in those areas has now stopped.  I would wake up sometimes on my back with this burning heat up my spine back and stomach. Now have this rash on my chest that looks like and feels like a sunburn. Sometimes I feel it on my knees and at times my body itches in different places, head, neck, arms, legs, wrists, feet, hands, and ankles.  However, the only areas that show the red sunburn appearance are the chest and knees at times.  All other areas become red only when scratched. It often bothers me at night and I sweat.  Furthermore I get this pain in my big toe that feels like someone is smashing it. It has been more frequent in the left toe.   I am worried it is HIV because I have had unprotected oral sex more then once (not giving head, getting it). I have lost about 5 lbs in the last two months. However, I am not yet experiencing other common symptoms like swollen lymph nodes, sore throat, head ache, diarrhea.....  Is this burnning typical of a new HIV infection.  I have been tested for STDs and am waiting for the results.
I'm sorry, but I can't make sense of this bewildering array of symptoms.  You need to be examined and tested, which it sounds like you have already done.  It may be necessary to recheck the HIV test in several months to be absolutely sure (not that the symptoms are diagnostic of HIV, but you want and need certainty as absolute as possible.)  The exam and tests will tell the tale and tell you which symptoms to ignore.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
You might want to speak with your doctor about getting checked for gout or other rheumatological diseases. Gout can certainly cause severe pain in the toe, and some people also experience fevers and cold sweats during exacerbations of gout.