Dermatology Expert Forum
rash on face

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

rash on face

I have developed a rash  back in 7/2013 of very rich white patches all over my beard and very light version of the patch at the top of my forehead. I did nothing for two months I did go to my doctor and he said what do you think it is. so I finally went to a dermatologist in August of 2913. He thought at first it was seborrhea dermatitis He gave me the standard meds anti fungal creams etc...So he did a skin biopsy on one of the new light patches that showed up on my skin. when the results came back I had a inflammatory skin condition he say is seborrhea dermatitis. These patches are all over my face on both checks they have lighten up. some. Now my concern is that this may be a marker for HIV?. I did have protected and unprotected sex back in 2010 and 2011 three times. I haven't had sex sense from a stripper.I'm done some foolish things this has me worried to death I so found I may have other factors like my age 55 and I worry a lot. please help.  

Thanks for posting your query.

I can understand your concern for the seborrheic dermatitis that you have been diagnosed with. First of all, the exact cause of seborrheic dermatitis is not properly understood and the prime cause is thought to be an yeast (fungus) called Malassezia. This fungus is one of the normal microscopic life forms that grow, along with certain bacteria, in your skin's oily secretion (sebum). Other than that, there are some aggravating factors like change of season (more in winters), stress and fatigue and immune status ( can be found in immunocompromised patients like HIV). T reported incidence of seborrheic dermatitis among HIV-positive and AIDS patients ranges from 34% to 83% but this does not mean that every patient of seborrheic dermatitis is HIV positive.

Secondly it is mostly found in middle aged men or elderly men and may be found in infants less than one year of age in which it is called cradle cap.

But there is no need to stress because the status of HIV should be made clear and if it is clear then with the topical and oral antifungals that you have been prescribed, you should get healed. HIV testing is done with a blood test and is done in full confidentiality. The blood is first tested by ELISA test which is a screening test which looks for antibodies in the blood. Then if it is positive then Western blot test is done to look for specific proteins of HIV. So confirmation is only done by specific tests for HIV like western blot, PCR and ELISA. These tests may show accuracy after 6 weeks to 6 months as HIV antibodies take time to develop in the body. Since it has been close to three years when you had the act of unprotected intercourse, you can get an ELISA test done to allay your fear.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you get better soon.

Wishing you good health.