Dermatology Expert Forum
rash on hands won't go away, even after medical treatment

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

I started to get a rash on my ring finger of my left hand about 2 years ago.  Occationaly it spreads to other areas of my hands, but then disapears after a while.  During the summer it has spread to the palm of my right hand. These 2 spots never heal completely. They start out as a whole area cluster of tiny blisters filled with clear liquid that severely itch. Then I apply Triam Ointment 80GM 0.1%. The "infection" then pops and becomes dry, dead, scaley and cracks and bleeds. I have to apply oint. several times daily, keep my hands dry and sometimes covered(which is extremely challenging for my life style). No matter how long I continue to use the oint., my skin never returns to a normal appearance or porus texture. It appears shiney like scar tissue. Then as soon as I stop using the oint. and get my hands wet(even dry them right away) the condition begins again, and again, and again! It can be very painful at times. I wake up in the middle of the night with pain from bending my hands and fingers in my sleep, and my skin cracking open and bleeding. Also using any kind of soap/shampoo/dets. burns and often just putting my hands under warm or cool running water stings.  I hope you might know what this is and how to treat it.  Thankyou for any help!
Carmen:

It sounds as though you are describing hand eczema.  This common condition produces scaling and blistering of the palms and fingers.  These are not infected and generally not allergic either, though moisture can aggravate the problem somewhat.  Topical corstione creams help.  Triam(cinolone) is a fairly mild one.  You may want to ask your doctor for something a little bit stronger.

In general, eczema is hereditary.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I know someone that has like this major swelling all over his hands like tiny blisters and very itchy and now spread all over his entire body in severe itching, making irratable. Each area seems to look different.  The arms have huge 1 inch bumps that are itchy too in clumps. Legs are like deep red pimple looking. Will not go to doctor to see what it is!  I'm scared for this person. Could it be dermatitis or shingles?  I would say its in the blood stream.  Could this be a problem if they are diabetic?
A related discussion, skin was started.
A related discussion, itchy palms,heels,elbows and knees was started.