rash on hip

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

rash on hip

I have a rash on my right hip in the front where the skin folds at the hip joint. The rash will come and go with out any specific treatment. It seems to be activated/aggrevated when I am working out quite often and running several times a week. I thought is was a reaction to laundry detergeant or soap as it is only in the crease of skin where my underwear and shorts fold against my skin when I am sitting or moving my leg forward like when running or sitting.  It appears as a series of small red patches that become sore and itch.

What could be causing this and how should I treat it?

This could be sweat dermatitis most probably complicated by friction, eczema or bacterial skin infection or heat rash.

Try to avoid sweat accumulation at the sites and use a powder. Keep the area clean and wear lose, comfortable clothes.

Since when have you noticed the lesion?

You could take oral antihistamine medications for the itching and apply calamine lotion at the site.

It would be best to consult a skin specialist as nothing can be said with surety without having a look at the lesions.

Let us know about what the doctor advises and post us if you have any other doubts.

Regards.