Dermatology Expert Forum
rash on penus and scrotum

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

rash on penus and scrotum

I am writing regarding a rash that has appeared on my penis, between the base and the head, on the forskin area. There are three red areas around the head, (I was circumcized) and one on the underside of my scrotum, which I just noticed 17 days after the penis rash started. These red area's have been here for over two weeks, no blistering, just pain, like burning. About three weeks ago I had unprotected sex and on another occasion around that time I also had unprotected oral sex these two occasions happened in the later part of august. The rash occured after a visit to mexico in the early part of september, I had a sexual encounter there also, but it was with a condom, provided by mexico. The morning after that encounter in mexico I awoke with these three red rashes, very sore, I thought it was just from having sex with a rubber, thought maybe like rug burn, I had condom burn. I had been very careful not to irritate the area for the next few days, I also put on neosporum cream thinking it was just a raw area due to the condom friction, the rash seemed to get better and I noticed like drying skin or flaking skin on the rashes and the pain pretty much went away after a few days, so I decided to masturbate one afternoon, HUGE MISTAKE(lol). The rash became bright red again and has been hurting alot on and off for the last 14 days. I thought I might have a yeast infection so I have been putting on a small amount of monistat 7 twice daily (my own diagnosis)for the last two days it seems to be helping a little, the redness seems to be diminishing. I just noticed this morning the rash or red area under my scrotum. these areas have just stayed red and are sore, (seems more sore when I think about it), no blisters, no pimples just a little flaking skin now and then in the morning. any suggestions???? Do you think it could be a STD like Herpes. scared to see a doctor  and the stress is killing me. PLEASE HELP
I think your original diagnosis of condom burn was correct.  This does not sound like herpes or an STD.  Yeast is slighly possible, but the cream you're using is fine for yeast.  So please continue that while you make an appointment with a skin doctor.  There is no need to be embarrased about seeing a doctor for an irritation on the genitals--treating irritations, most of which are nonsexual--is what we do.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff