rash on tongue

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

rash on tongue

Got what appears to be a rash on my tongue and after looking it up it appears to be geographic tongue and I was wondering if geographic tongue was indicative of any diseases.  I recently posted on the HIV forum and was told I was in a no risk category but maybe Im just being stupid but I recently developed this rash that I never noticed before and was hoping for any insight on whether this is a symptom of any diseases.  I also drink a lot and have been stressed a lot so maybe those contribute.  Thanks for any reply.  

Geographic tongue is characterised by irregularly shaped red, map-like smooth swollen patches on the tongue. The cause of geographic tongue is unknown but it tends to run in families and is associated with several different genes. It is more commonly found in people who have allergies, eczema, and asthma. Some think that it may be linked to stress or diets high in sugar or processed foods, ethnicity and gender. But the specific cause is unknown. It is not mandatory that geographic tongue is associated with HIV.

Geographic tongue is a benign condition that usually resolves itself without causing any problems for the patient so most people do not require treatment.  It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

thanks for the response yeah went to the doctor he said it doesnt seem specific but i was just worried because i put myself in what apparently is a very low risk situation for HIV and never noticed my tongue like that before its gone now so im not too worried about