rash on torso and spreading

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

rash on torso and spreading

As a previous post, I have developed a rash which starts off pink and itches somewhat but soon dries up and gets a bit scaly.  It started just below my left breast towards the center along the bra line.  It is speading upwards where the bra does not touch.  Other parts of my torso have been affected as well, but differently.  Most are around the waist and leg bands but only on one side and have not started red or itchy, simply brownish and in a haphazard pattern.  Only two look like darkish brown worms, the rest look like lighter small brown patches.  I have also developed one above the tailbone that looks like a bruise the size of a quarter (have had it over one months w/no change) and one about half a cm under the left arm.  I thought I had pinched it and it was a bruise.  The first one, being the armpit, I noticed in July.  Paid no attention to it, then in Aug I developed a rash on the back under the bra. The breastbone rash developed in November. It is now December.  I have seen my primary and two dermatologist.  

My primary first thought it was shingles because it was only on one side.  I took the anti-viral med 5x a day for 10 days. That helped the redness and kind of dried it up but has not dissapeared.  When the breastbone rash immerged he found it unusual that shingles would return so soon but again he prescribed the same anti-viral and this time he prescribed an anti-fungal cream Keto- something or other.   It kept it from spreading but it did not take it away. Then within the last two months the brownish spots and lines around the waist band and other parts not in contact with elastic have developed.  The 1st dermatologist assured me it wasn't cancer or pre-cancerous liasons.  He prescribed a cortisone based cream.  The 2nd dermatologis, whom I visited two days ago, said he couldn't tell since I didn't have any actively errupted rashes.  I mentioned I had just visitied the orthopeadist who had ordered 7 types of blood test for joint and tendon problems with my knees and wrists that x-rayed with no problem.  He said he wanted those results and to come back when I had a new erruption so he could biopsy it. The problem is that sometimes there is an erruption and other times the random brownish blotches or worm-like slightly itchy spots show up.  He said he could do anything with those.

Please help before my body is overrun with these blotches and rashes.  My face and extemities are intact for now.

This discussion is related to red rash on torso.
  • Rash (3 replies):
    Hello, Until couple of months ago I didn't have any m...[more]
  • itchy rash (1 replies):
    for almost a year now I have suffered with a rash all ov...[more]
  • Red Raised Rash (1 replies):
    My daughter has a red raised rash on her whole body exce...[more]
  • Itchy red hand (1 replies):
    Hi, please help. The back of my right hand, for some re...[more]
  • itchy red rash (1 replies):
    hi have this really itchy red rash all over my lower bac...[more]

This could be eczema, dermatitis, allergic reactions, hives or even scabies. You need to wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products, new soaps, detergents at the sites.

Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions and see if it helps. You could take some oral antihistamine medications like cetrizine or loratadine. You need to maintain a good personal hygiene . Wear lose comfortable clothes. Wash all your linen and towels etc with a disinfectant solution.

Anti-itch drugs, often antihistamine, may reduce the itch during a flare up of eczema, and the reduced scratching in turn reduces damage and irritation to the skin.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone or desonide), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).

Let us know if you need any further information.

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for the symptoms and a proper clinical examination.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us on how you are doing.

Regards.