rash on upper chest

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

rash on upper chest

2818996?1208985247
I am a 24y/o female and have a rash on my upper chest.  I have had a cat for the last 20 years (I recently put her down) and my housemate just recently got a new one (about 2 days before the rash broke out).  The rash is red and inflamed and I am unsure if this could be an allergic reaction to the cat.  I have not gotten a rash anywhere else on my body.  There are no rashes on other places on my body where the cat has touched.  Also, the rash has no puss or blister like qualities.  It is, however, quite itchy.  Is there anything else this rash could be from?
Avatar dr f tn

This may be contact dermatitis. Do you usually cuddle the cat close to your chest? A seborrheic dermatitis may present with greasy and scaly flakes over the chest. Fungal infection may present with a rash with a well defined border. The rash may be itchy and scaly. In a sweat rash, the rash may present with small vesicles and they may also itchy. They are usually associated with excessive sweating. Do you have any of these conditions?

I suggest ,that you have this assessed by a dermatologist. You may need an antihistamine for the itch. Microscopic evaluation of skin scrapings of the area may help define a fungal infection.

Do you have any allergies?

Avatar n tn
I have the exact same thing in the same location.  I do not have a cat.  I have had the rash for close to three weeks and I am already on antihistamine and a prescription rash ointment but nothing gives me any relief!  I also wondered if it could be related to a strep throat infection being untreated or possibly a sun allergy.  It is very uncomfortable!
I have this same rash on the same part of my body.  Your symptoms present exactly the same as mine.  I have cat allergies, but have had a cat for the past year with no problems.  However, just a few days before I got this rash, we took in another cat.  So I'm thinking it could be allergies that cat.  However, when I looked up pictures of the rash online, it looked more like irritant contact dermatitis rather than allergic contact dermatitis.  Oh dear, I just saw that you wrote in 2008, so I'm sure your rash is gone by now.  Maybe you could tell me what you found out....?  Thanks!