Dermatology Expert Forum
rash that looks like a scratch?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

rash that looks like a scratch?

I am 19 years old and for the past 2 years or so I have had a recurrent rash(if that it what it is) on my lower abdomen. It always appears in the exact same spot. When it first appears it is just a raised continuous red/pink line (aprox. 5 inches long)that moves from my lower to upper abdomen on my right side. In a few days it scabs over and basically looks like a cat scratch (with a serrated appearance). There is not any pain or itching.  I was just wondering what might cause this. I do not have any allergies or medical conditions that I know of.  Thanks!
Liz:

Most likely you have mild nummular eczema.  "Nummular" means, round, coin-shaped.  This is not an allergy; rather, it comes and goes for no special reason.  It can go away on its own, as you've seen yourself, but hydrocortisone helps it along.  Tey the nonprescription form (1%).  If that doesn't help, a doctor can give you a stronger variety.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
A related discussion, Scratch like looking rash on children was started.
A related discussion, red scratch-like rashes on skin was started.
A related discussion, How do you post in the Expert Forums??? was started.