Dermatology Expert Forum
rash that looks like scratches
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

rash that looks like scratches

I have a rash that looks like long thin red scratches (1-3 inches) on the
back of my hand, the inside of my forearm near my hand that has now
spread to both sides of my trunk, belt line, etc. I looks like it could be scratches from a cat or something.  It is not especially itchy
but it is bothering me a little especially as new areas break out. Any idea what this could be? It started on my forearm a couple of days ago and seems to be spreading a little each day.... should I see a doctor?
Related Discussions
242489 tn?1210500813
Yes, I think you should.  I am having trouble fitting the image of what you describe with anything I've ever seen, unless of course these ARE scratches.  The only conditions I am familar with which produce long lines are 1)jellyfish stings and 2) dermographism, or hives from histamine release when the skin is rubbed with a sharp object, whether a fingernail or something else.

I would therefore consult a doctor as soon as you can arrange it.  Perhpas he or she will see something I can't picture, or perform a relevant test to see what's going on.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
2 Comments
Blank
A related discussion, rash looks like a scratch was started.
Blank
A related discussion, rash that looks like scratch was started.
Blank
A related discussion, rashes was started.
Blank
A related discussion, Back of hands itch was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488 tn?1310696703
Blank
Marathon Running Done Over Many Yea...
05/15 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
233488 tn?1310696703