rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

rash

i have had a rash on my arms, under my arms, my lower stomach, my thighs and behind my knees. it has been there for 4 weeks. i thought it was poison oak but have tried creams to clear it up and nothing has worked. now i have red blochy places all over the mentioned areas that itch so bad. i have scabs that itch. it doesnt look like its gettin worse, but its not getting much better. i am so tired of scratching and creams on it. i have used benedryl, tecnu lotion, zeaborb powder and have taken benedryl by mouth. i had this in oct 09, but not this bad. it was only on my legs and i do have scars from it. please help.
Sounds a lot like eczema.  Try hydrocortizone cream for the itching and hydrate your skin with Aveeno immediately after showering and a least twice a day.  Also, only use body wash...never soap or anything that will further dry your skin.  The dermatologist can give you stronger medicine, but I can usually control it with cortizone cream.  The reason the rash tends to stay on your arms and legs is from the heat/sweating in those areas.  Cotton clothing breathes the best.  
From your symptoms I would like to rule out fungal infection and scabies. It is an infestation of the skin with the Sarcoptes scabiei mite. It is characterized by intense itching, usually at night and by small insect-type bites lesions on the skin. Diagnosis of scabies is made by scraping the skin and viewing the material under a microscope to see the characteristic mite or eggs.

I suggest you to get it evaluated from a dermatologist. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.