rashes on scrotum and thigh

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

rashes on scrotum and thigh

i am 22 years old...i am getting rashes on the scrotum and thigh touching it...it feels very itchy and looks red in color...after 2days it gets dried and peels off like dead skin..it frequently comes once in 2months..since i was 19...
first i thought it was due to the hair near thighs and on the testicles..is that true? or any fungal or bacterial infection..please help me out this problem..

This discussion is related to Itchy Rashes on inner thighs and scrotum/penis.
Avatar_dr_m_tn

From the symptoms it sounds like intertrigo. An intertrigo is an inflammation (rash) of the body folds. It most commonly occurs due to bacterial, viral or fungal infection. An intertrigo usually appears red and raw-looking, and may also itch, ooze, and be sore.

Please keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Topical zinc oxide cream like Sudocrem, Desitin are very helpful(apply with a paper towel and not directly with hands).Application of mild steroid cream like dermacort also helps. For the itching please take some over the counter antihistaminic like Benadryl or Claritin.In case the symptoms persist then antifungals may be needed. Please consult a dermatologist in that case.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers