razor bumps on penis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

razor bumps on penis

I have been shaving the shaft of my penis because it gets very hairy, but I have really bad razor bumps and fear I may have caused some scarring.  I don't know how I should proceed.  Stop shaving altogether until they heal? Any ideas?
I am familiar with this problem, they should go away within a couple days
they will go away! and as long as u keep sahving they may or may not appear evertime u do so! ususaly hapenes if u shave often, dull razor, dry shave or w.e! its just a irritation!!! sometimes ill ahve to hold toilet paper there to stop the spot from bleeding! :P sucks

It could be eczema, sweat dermatitis, allergic reactions or folliculitis. This could most definitely be secondary to shaving.

You need to wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites.

Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions and see if it helps. You could take some oral antihistamine medications like cetrizine or loratadine. You need to maintain a good personal hygiene .

Anti-itch drugs, often antihistamine, may reduce the itch during a flare up of eczema, and the reduced scratching in turn reduces damage and irritation to the skin.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone or desonide), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).

Eczema can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Moisturizing is one of the most important self-care treatments for sufferers of eczema. Keeping the affected area moistened can promote skin healing and relief of symptoms.

Folliculitis is infection and inflammation of the hair follicles. The condition may be superficial (i.e., on the surface of the skin) or deep within the follicles.The most common cause of folliculitis is infection by the bacteria Staphylococcus aureus.

Folliculitis symptoms can appear independent of infection. Exposure of the skin to certain chemicals, especially oils and tars, can trigger an outbreak. People with depressed immune systems, diabetes, or obesity have a greater risk of contracting folliculitis than the general population.

Be extremely careful about personal hygiene. Application of antiseptic washes may help prevent recurrences. A topical antibiotic cream, mupirocin (Bactroban®), has been effective at reducing bacterial colonization in the nostrils. It is applied twice daily for a week and is repeated every 6 months.

Let us know if you need any further information.

Regards.
where did u do ur med school from... cause ur making no sense.