Dermatology Expert Forum
recurrent skin pain on torso

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

recurrent skin pain on torso

Hello, I am a 56 yo male in good health and no remarkable medical history. For nearly 10 years I have been experiencing a very superficial pain on the skin of my chest and/or abdomen. The location varies. It may be on my chest or back or abdomen or some combination. As well as I can recall it is always only on one side or the other, never both, but it may be only in front or only on the back (rare) or both. The skin is very tender and wearing a shirt or even a breeze may be very uncomfortable. There is no rash, discoloration or other visible skin change nor any swelling. It occurs 2 - 4 times a year, usually lasting about a week, maybe two; I cannot associate it with anything environmental. My internist does not know what this condition is. I asked if it could be herpes and he said that with herpes he would expect some sort of eruption.
Thank you for taking my question.
I agree with your internist that herpes would cause an eruption (and would always be in the same place.)  Your symptoms do not remind me of any disease.  I suggest you ignore them.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
I too am having similiar symptoms - except there is a very slight swelling under the skin - like there is liquid there- but you do have to be very observant to see it. I don't know - and it's impossible to find anything about this. If you find a doctor that can tell you what it is, please post back here. I don't think Dr. Rockoff would say "just ignore it" if it were happening to him or a family member.
Hope you find an answer soon!