recurring bump between butt cheeks
hi,
I have had this bump between my butt cheeks for over 2 years. When it is healed it seems like a small bump but then it fills up over night and becomes very painful. As it is close to my spine it makes it very hard for me to sit down. This usually happens when I sit for prolonged periods usually at my computer. Once the bump is filled up, it starts to drain. The drainage is usually a mixture of blood and pus. Once it drains it goes back to its small version. It is very itchy if I scratch it. If I don’t scratch it, is not itchy. This has been occurring for almost 2 years. I am a 23 years old male and haven’t been sexually active. I went to my doc and he gave me Cephradine:500mg for 2 days. I don’t see a change at all. Today he gave it to me for another 2 days. It has been 3 days since I took the last dosage. I don’t want to take this antibiotic since there has been a 3 days delay. Please help.
Thanks a lot

Your symptoms are suggestive of a pilonidal cyst and pilonidal sinus.There is a small pit in the sacral area at the very top of the crease between the buttocks which is called the pilonidal dimple. The pilonidal dimple may also be a deep tract, rather than a shallow depression, leading to a sinus that may contain hair. These can become infected and drain. On rare occasions, the sinus may extend into the spinal cord.

Sometimes the pilonidal dimple forms a cyst. In this the skin becomes reddened or even sometimes looks like a small bruise.When it is infected,it causes pain.Antibiotics or surgical drainage may be required.

I feel that you should consult a surgeon and get this pilonidal sinus or cyst drained out.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep us posted if you have any additional queries.